Building a silage pit

AYF

So seems I'm getting a grant for a silage pit.
Plan is simple enough. Steel uprights with concrete pannels...

But. Was chatting to a lad who was singing the praises of free standing panels for the walls.

Some kind of A shape which are quite literally plonked in place, with special corner bits, then fill her up.
Said he was doubtful about them till he saw a lad filling them with a 200hp tractor on the pit and they didn't move a bit.

What's other peoples takes on this?

But. Was chatting to a lad who was singing the praises of free standing panels for the walls.

Some kind of A shape which are quite literally plonked in place, with special corner bits, then fill her up.
Said he was doubtful about them till he saw a lad filling them with a 200hp tractor on the pit and they didn't move a bit.

I've 10' A panels and 12' rocket walls,the A panels are crap compared to rocket walls.

https://www.jpconcrete.co.uk/freestanding-concrete-wall/

Had silage 25' high against them never moved a bit,my clamp is 120' wide so I split the clamp with them,they need a 3.5t+ loader to move them though but they are 4' deep compared to the A panels at 900mm

Are proper walls out of the question AYF?.
Tbh over here by the time you put in the right size steel to support a shuttered wall its the same size steel to hold the panels and theres bugger.all difference in price to pouring or bolting a panel

Are proper walls out of the question AYF?.
As in shuttered?
Not at all. But I'm led to belive that pre cast pannels are currently cheaper than shuttering given the extra labour.

@scoffcruddle
Have they a link through from one to the other?
And does the little kick in the bottom not bug you with the shear grab?

Like the idea that they are movable. Could make the pit bigger or smaller if ever needed. Or just sell them and have a concrete pad for bales in the future.

As in shuttered?
Not at all. But I'm led to belive that pre cast pannels are currently cheaper than shuttering given the extra labour.

@scoffcruddle

Like the idea that they are movable. Could make the pit bigger or smaller if ever needed. Or just sell them and have a concrete pad for bales in the future.
Aye shuttered. If pit silage was to be a permanent way of making your silage then I'd be going with the walls. Solid and safe would be my reason for walls over panels. If on the other hand you thought bales were going to be more the norm then panels would probably make more sense.

@fraserb I think had pictures before of a silage slab that was built using free standing panels :unsure:

As in shuttered?

@scoffcruddle

No link you just stand them next to each other.

The kick isn't bad compared to a soil bank or such.

I bought them when I was a tenant so I could always sell them on,clamp started as a flat concrete pad,I used the panels on one side then round bales as a wall on the other,few years back I made a new soil bank and this spring I built a new panel wall on one side.

I found the 20'x4' panels a dream to erect on my own,I have my own shutters but it would have taken an age to do.

Aye shuttered. If pit silage was to be a permanent way of making your silage then I'd be going with the walls. Solid and safe would be my reason for walls over panels. If on the other hand you thought bales were going to be more the norm then panels would probably make more sense.

It would be extremely rare for a walled pit to be built in Ireland with anything except poured mass concrete walls. We can buy ready mix a lot cheaper here than I think you can though. Ready mix is a good bit cheaper here though AFAIK.

A firm near @diesel power made those precast panels 10 odd years ago , mainly for export. I only know ow one shed done with them.

A few firms supplying them now I chatted a lad while sheltering from a shower at the Ploughing,E 90 / m for 15 cm be 120 high if I remember correct .He was not overly fort comeing on steel uprights or foundations specs .

A few firms supplying them now I chatted a lad while sheltering from a shower at the Ploughing,E 90 / m for 15 cm be 120 high if I remember correct .He was not overly fort comeing on steel uprights or foundations specs .

I believe you on the 2nd part , because if you added it up , it probably wouldn't add up.

@Mf240 , can you remember how much a ft run the walls cost for your shed 2 years ago ? I realise far from the spec for a silo pit wall , but so is a 6 inch thick panel.

It would be extremely rare for a walled pit to be built in Ireland with anything except poured mass concrete walls. We can buy ready mix a lot cheaper here than I think you can though. Ready mix is a good bit cheaper here though AFAIK.

A firm near @diesel power made those precast panels 10 odd years ago , mainly for export. I only know ow one shed done with them.

Best price round here is £91/cube :tdown:

I believe you on the 2nd part , because if you added it up , it probably wouldn't add up.

@Mf240 , can you remember how much a ft run the walls cost for your shed 2 years ago ? I realise far from the spec for a silo pit wall , but so is a 6 inch thick panel.

Think it was 12 a foot would that sound right. But you would need bigger walls for a silage pit. Plus youd need steel in them. Would you need 40 Newton concrete.

Think it was 12 a foot would that sound right. But you would need bigger walls for a silage pit. Plus youd need steel in them. Would you need 40 Newton concrete.

That was for supply of shutters and labour , buy your own concrete ? It was a fiver a m dearer for 35 n versus 30 n 2 years ago.

6 inch panel is what they'd use for the walls!
They are pre stressed steel inside so seriously strong.

Never seen a thicker pannel any way.

Do you lads over the water not have issues with effluent, If you used panel walls would you have to have catch channels surrounding the outside of the slab whereas a shuttered walled pit should contain everything inside.

Back