Bulk milk tank

My packo takes 40 minutes. Cold rinse, hot rise, hot wash then cold rinse. Dont think i would want it going any faster. TBC count is sorta important.

Last edited:
Ya but when its every second day its alot of water . The old packo we used to have we just used to give it a shot of water and a bit of detergent once a week !

Ya but when its every second day its alot of water . The old packo we used to have we just used to give it a shot of water and a bit of detergent once a week !
you should count your lucky stars you're not on everyday collection like me....

Is anyone using bottom fill with a double diaphragm pump? I obviously don't have the capability to blow my milkline clear of water but I was thinking of having a 1.25" valve beside the non return valve so I could drain out the water before opening the bottom of the tank. Also any issue with blowing air up thru the milk when diaphragm is pumping away but no milk in the line?

Is anyone using bottom fill with a double diaphragm pump? I obviously don't have the capability to blow my milkline clear of water but I was thinking of having a 1.25" valve beside the non return valve so I could drain out the water before opening the bottom of the tank. Also any issue with blowing air up thru the milk when diaphragm is pumping away but no milk in the line?
Think you blow the seals eventually. Could be wrong

Anyone using a delaval tank and know how long the wash takes? Sales man quoting 20 minutes which seems to be alot shorter than anyone else. Most of the others seem to be in the 30 to 40 minute timeframe

Anyone using a delaval tank and know how long the wash takes? Sales man quoting 20 minutes which seems to be alot shorter than anyone else. Most of the others seem to be in the 30 to 40 minute timeframe
I’d say 20 mins is a bit over exaggerated for a delaval tank

What is a good chlorine free detergent for the bulk tank ( if there is such a thing ) ? .
Moved to the Dairymaster non-chlorine stuff, the Deosan non-chlorine was giving issues with frothing in the Autowash. Didn't have to adjust any settings. Compared to the chlorine stuff the routine is now 2 evening acid washes a week rather than one and still do a hot wash each morning and a cold one in the evening. SCC haven't been affected at all but the chlorine free is a good bit more expensive, surprise, surprise!

Can I just say to all you milking chaps, do you every so often look inside your bulk tanks after they have been through a wash cycle and see how clean they are?? .i ask because today I was collecting from a farm, the farmer was "hanging about " so I rocks up and does the usual, bottle out, dipper out still in the bag , agitation on, wait a minute, take sample, do temp (under 5) pipe on tap open fire up the lorry box start sucking it up, farmers still looking on watching like a hawk??
I says morning mr &@/(£&@ how are etc, can I help at all?? He says me cell counts are up and I'm just making sure your not doing anything to give me a dirty sample etc, as the tank emptied I finished of me loading, with ticket , litres on sample pot, ticket on wall cooling off , , I said is your wash working all right , he says I dunno you blokes always turn it on !!! We open the small inspection lid, as we look in the dipstick is there off to one side, he pulls it out and the (back) side is hanging, obviously the front still had milk on it but the back was black and snotty ,,, , he was to say the least fairly shocked, suffice to say the dip stick got launched (we don't use em any way as the lorry pump work computers do all the litres, ..
So have a look see and make sure the washer is doing the right job, just coz its making the right noises make sure it's working right, it's your money it could be effecting !!

Can I just say to all you milking chaps, do you every so often look inside your bulk tanks after they have been through a wash cycle and see how clean they are?? .i ask because today I was collecting from a farm, the farmer was "hanging about " so I rocks up and does the usual, bottle out, dipper out still in the bag , agitation on, wait a minute, take sample, do temp (under 5) pipe on tap open fire up the lorry box start sucking it up, farmers still looking on watching like a hawk??
I says morning mr &@/(£&@ how are etc, can I help at all?? He says me cell counts are up and I'm just making sure your not doing anything to give me a dirty sample etc, as the tank emptied I finished of me loading, with ticket , litres on sample pot, ticket on wall cooling off , , I said is your wash working all right , he says I dunno you blokes always turn it on !!! We open the small inspection lid, as we look in the dipstick is there off to one side, he pulls it out and the (back) side is hanging, obviously the front still had milk on it but the back was black and snotty ,,, , he was to say the least fairly shocked, suffice to say the dip stick got launched (we don't use em any way as the lorry pump work computers do all the litres, ..
So have a look see and make sure the washer is doing the right job, just coz its making the right noises make sure it's working right, it's your money it could be effecting !!
got caught out that way too, the milk was collected every night and so the tank was finished washing every morning and looked spotless but started to get high tbc,s and eventually found out that the pipe carrying the detergent was leaking and losing most of it before it got to the tank

Back