What have you picked?

Last edited:
Pondor RSP
McCormick GJM
Aftershock AFT
Stonewall S1163
Mel NTM
Doberman S963
Destry for a few reds I have, you have red also?

I like Twist too, went for Stonewall instead and kept it all with ABS.

Got a few by HJS, have a good few black/reds that I want to put Destry on to get more reds.

It will give the impression I'm crossbreeding anyway:laugh:

:lol:
If you have heifers for sale from the red ones, You can pass them off as Norweigan reds.

Going to use these.

OYK
S1036

What have you picked?
Using both of those (not much Twist but a bit)
OYK is going on a good few
VSK for anything that had any mastitis in first 2 lactations (I used him last year based on TMI)
BQB
NFT is going on a good few
RMZ
VGE (great bull but maintenace sub index would worry me)
AXN for milk/solids lift
GIO for milk lift

Basically anything with over/around 150 EBI but must have high reliability (RXR taught me a good lesson), good fertility is important but good health is the major deciding factor...but I am aiming for milk lift with some

VGE (great bull but maintenace sub index would worry me)

(RXR taught me a good lesson)

Why Legend over McCormick?- better udders and easier calving, have a look at RSP, great all rounder, Levi too. Legends are big according to my abs man

That is why I don't use genomic bulls, MJI is another one that crashed big time, 450 kgs to 70 odd of milk.

Why Legend over McCormick?- better udders and easier calving, have a look at RSP, great all rounder, Levi too. Legends are big according to my abs man

That is why I don't use genomic bulls, MJI is another one that crashed big time, 450 kgs to 70 odd of milk.

Honestly didn't come across him had a breeding adviser suggest him and I like him so planed used it.
Comparing the two now though theres nearly nothing in it, I'd still use VGE though due to a higher reliability, SCC (major consideration) and slightly higher survival and slightly easier calving on the cows.
Speaking of which what bull are ya planning on using on the heifers? I have one who missed out last year due to bad luck more than anything and I don't wanna waste her on the AA

I know I used RXR on bad advice on one of my best cows (talking 4.5 pr and 5.3 bfat) and she produced me a heifer...but she died this year giving birth to an SOK! Gutted is not the word:no:

GJM is -18scc, +3.56suv, 5CE
VGE is -6scc, +2.98 suv, 8CE(worth it all too apparently)

McCormick better components and moderate size and better udders is why I picked him.

On heifers, ones with Oman are getting Doberman and the rest, McCormick or Pondor depending on if they have Durham in them.

GJM is -18scc, +3.56suv, 5CE
VGE is -6scc, +2.98 suv, 8CE(worth it all too apparently)

McCormick better components and moderate size and better udders is why I picked him.

On heifers, ones with Oman are getting Doberman and the rest, McCormick or Pondor depending on if they have Durham in them.

Sorry mixed up the two tabs. Your right but to be fair to VGE, his reliability is 7% higher for his SCC.
VGE gives a milk kg lift of 60kg more

Call me crazy, but the way you viciously attack holsteins:001_rolleyes:, your bull choice is rather surprising:laugh:

Call me crazy, but the way you viciously attack holsteins:001_rolleyes:, your bull choice is rather surprising:laugh:
No no I attack high Holsteins with low EBI/fertility and busting themselves to produce water (so basically the SEMEX catalogue) I didn't say I'm not a Holstein breeder myself. I just prefer my GMIs over the Goldwyns....

You didn't mention my use of VSK?
Oh left out WAU, LHZ and CGH (used him last year, amazing heifers-we'll see how they milk down next year)

Listen to all believe, none is my view when it comes to breeding...then I choose from all the sources

Can you use the bulls names? The three letter codes aren't used up here so we don't know which bulls you are talking about.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

do you not find it very hard to prevent inbreeding wiht using so many different bulls in your herds?:confused1:

plus when using one straw from a bull on only one cow, how can you be sure you like the progeny, as it will vary from cow to cow alot

Can you use the bulls names? The three letter codes aren't used up here so we don't know which bulls you are talking about.
I wish we didn't either.
CGH - Crockett Acres Eight

do you not find it very hard to prevent inbreeding wiht using so many different bulls in your herds?:confused1:

plus when using one straw from a bull on only one cow, how can you be sure you like the progeny, as it will vary from cow to cow alot

No, inbreeding is easy to avoid, info is easily accessed.

Just a chance you take, one nice heifer wouldn't make me go use him on all the herd. There is always a new,shinier bull available by then anyway.

No no I attack high Holsteins with low EBI/fertility and busting themselves to produce water (so basically the SEMEX catalogue) I didn't say I'm not a Holstein breeder myself. I just prefer my GMIs over the Goldwyns....

You didn't mention my use of VSK?
Oh left out WAU, LHZ and CGH (used him last year, amazing heifers-we'll see how they milk down next year)

Listen to all believe, none is my view when it comes to breeding...then I choose from all the sources

GMI over Goldwyn :whistling:Have two GMI`s here udders gone after two lactations, shocking worth more in beef from what I can see,lucky enough this good at the moment.

I wish we didn't either.
CGH - Crockett Acres Eight

No, inbreeding is easy to avoid, info is easily accessed.

Just a chance you take, one nice heifer wouldn't make me go use him on all the herd. There is always a new,shinier bull available by then anyway.

i suppose, if you have a head for it. maybe there is a vast amount of genetics out there for holstein, just going on what i see from the fleckvieh AI sites ive been luking at, alot more than you would think share grand parents or great grand parents, and that supposed to be from a gene pool in the second most abundant breed in the world.:001_unsure:

Sexed semen? Anyone with experience.

S1140 O-man End Story.Think this is one of the best o-man son`s at the moment.
He is, who sells him here?

A good few Man o man sons available now, couldn't really use him so his sons might be useful, genomic yet though.

Sexed semen? Anyone with experience.

He is, who sells him here?

A good few Man o man sons available now, couldn't really use him so his sons might be useful, genomic yet though.

Sexed semen,mixed reports from what I here,never used it here so don`t no.
What I do is split straw`s got 9 out of 10 Fever straws to keep,lets hope I get a few heifer`s,works very well on heifer`s or a heifer and a cow.:thumbup1:
Semen World Irl, Artificial Insemination, Tipperary, (052)746...Semen World Irl
Ask for Kathleen.
I have 4 heifer calve`s out of this bull,think there nice,nice clean boned,with a bit more dairyness and stature compared to his father,let`s hope the udder`s hold up,one thing I didn`t like about oman.I saw some scary one`s,haven said that I saw some nice one`s also, but they were out of good cow`s so I said i`d wait for his son`s and I think this is one of them.

The last sexed we used was Picston Shaker, resulting calves are mature cows now. Our yearlings were away from home until this winter, I'll probably try it again next winter, some people seem to get on great, I decided it was more important to get them in calve quick than to get more heifers.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

VSK - justify yourself!:laugh:

One straw, one heifer of CGH, she is nice, she is after cleaning up well since.
Eight

I like pretty red cows...easier to see :laugh:
But seriously I've wanted to use some NR since I read the original crossbreeding study done in California when I was in leaving cert. Nothing pisses me off more than a case of mastitis so any bulls that will reduce it or better remove :thumbup1:. My aim is to one day have no mastitis at all (unrealistic but hey)

S1140 O-man End Story.Think this is one of the best o-man son`s at the moment.
Are we looking at the same bull? The one ICBF has for that has 127 ebi at 50% reliability....32 for fertility! Oh and and he actually increases SCC!
Oh also I dunno what you bulled the GMI to but I just searched and of amongst his daughters I have 6 five lactation plus cows, one 9th lactation and one 8th lactation...and about a quater of my best cows have him as a grand sire he's been good to me!

Last edited:
I like pretty red cows...easier to see :laugh:
But seriously I've wanted to use some NR since I read the original crossbreeding study done in California when I was in leaving cert. Nothing pisses me off more than a case of mastitis so any bulls that will reduce it or better remove :thumbup1:. My aim is to one day have no mastitis at all (unrealistic but hey)

Are we looking at the same bull? The one ICBF has for that has 127 ebi at 50% reliability....32 for fertility! Oh and and he actually increases SCC!
Oh also I dunno what you bulled the GMI to but I just searched and of amongst his daughters I have 6 five lactation plus cows, one 9th lactation and one 8th lactation...and about a quater of my best cows have him as a grand sire he's been good to me!

You have mentioned mastitis twice on this tread I think,just wondering have you got a problem with it ?
Don`t have a problem with it here and tbh I didn`t look at it anyway for that bull, don`t think it is that high anyway.
If you were getting the heifer`s I got out of GMI ,I tell you your scc would be only going one way.:scared:maybe you got the good ones.
Milk recorder was actually admiring her this evening.:laugh:

Back