Bulls.

Not using sexed semen here as there seems to be a huge variation in conception rates in different batches so I 'll wait until it's perfected.
Plenty of bull calves being born here this spring. Had one heifer out of my last 12 calvings :banghead:
Sold 10 bull calves yesterday from the shed. €60 one with the other. 2-3weeks of age.
Have a few DGC, SFP, BQB and JKF straws left from last year, am in the process of ordering PSZ, HYY, PKY, GZY and AGH for the coming year.
Am genotyping 7 bull calves this year so far for studs, but I' m getting a bit disinterested in this as I'm holding onto these calves and have been at it for a few years now with no luck.
The old way was grand where ya got a few bob to hold on to the calf and then he was sold for more than the market value. We had a few went in to a stud like this. Anyone here have much experience with selling these calves to the studs? Is it worthwhile trying to sell the calves as breeding bulls with their proofs should the studs reject them?

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

scanned today,, had used a lot of ksk sexed semen very happy with conception rates and most are carrying heifers:thumbup:

Ksk sexed and LHZ sexed will feature more amongst this year's HO picks here

Also going in with some sexed danish jersey on heifers this year. All of them in way better condition LWT wise that last year.

Ksk jkf and xrb and ztg all sexed and some abo and hmy conventional in flask.

Dose lhz not have - for health? That put me off him.

the lad that does my scanning is an ai man , he was saying he's getting calls from lads complaining about the amount of bull calves, he said the only thing he can put it down to is cows being served too early????? we only ai once a day here and he are 50/50 on bulls/heifers at the minute

I do my own AI and would always prefer to do them when they are cooled off.

Some years I have loads off heifers, other years I have loads of bulls it always averages out.

Ksk jkf and xrb and ztg all sexed and some abo and hmy conventional in flask.

Dose lhz not have - for health? That put me off him.

He does, -3. Only 1 or 2 of my HO picks has a low health value but LHZ makes up for it massively in other traits. Ideal to a cow with +5 or higher health but in desperate need of fertility

Problem with our health system is it only measures 3 traits (fairly basic traits too). With LHZ's fertility his daughters can't be too unhealthy unless they'd not be going incalf or even a bulling. His calf mortality is also lower than average, so he must transmit a decent trait for immune response
His health traits also state that he has 62 daughters currently milking with an average SCC of 130k.

Any one here have experience with kiwi x bulls thinking of putting a few on cows They seem to be a small hardy cow type not interested in massive yields here. Wondering would cow be too small if crossed on br fr type cow I presume more suited to Holstein cow. Are the kiwi easy calving for bigger calves being so small

Any one here have experience with kiwi x bulls thinking of putting a few on cows They seem to be a small hardy cow type not interested in massive yields here. Wondering would cow be too small if crossed on br fr type cow I presume more suited to Holstein cow. Are the kiwi easy calving for bigger calves being so small

There's lots of variation in the Kiwi bulls, the majority are smaller lower yielding higher MS% cows but you can also get the likes of Supersonic.
Generally a smaller cow, NZers weight between 500-550kg at mature weight.
The NZers were bread originally from British Friesian so you'll get a similar sized cow but skinner (due to the mix of Jersey/Ayreshire in background).
Yes very easy calving, I know farmers who keep them turn off the lights at 8 and dont come back out til 8 the next day. As easy calving as Jerseys (problem is getting rid of calves that small)

the lad that does my scanning is an ai man , he was saying he's getting calls from lads complaining about the amount of bull calves, he said the only thing he can put it down to is cows being served too early????? we only ai once a day here and he are 50/50 on bulls/heifers at the minute

Sitting at 16 heifers from 30 fr calves here so far, combining that with the 6 from the winter leaves us with the biggest number of replacement here in a good few years (we use to have some serious calf mortality rates, alongside a very long average CI, so not many replacements for afew years!). These will be calving down in what, 2016, that will be the earliest I'll be driving on cow numbers at all I'd guess, hopefully will coincide with a strengthening milk market!

Out of 99 cows, I have 20 Angus, 2 Wagyu, and 77 friesans, but only have 23 friesan heifers and I have UCD looking for one of them.........they may pay!

Does that include the one you gave to your young fella:whistle:

one of them keeps escaping, broke out on saturday. i went around silage pit and cubicle shed and i was giving him a kick when puutting him back in and my toe is still sore, plenty of curses out of me, never using je again:thumbdown:

I seem to always come out with more heifers then bulls, out of 51 calved i have 31 heifers and 20 bulls, with four left to calf. Iv had this streak for the last few years now, last year i ended up with 2 heifers for every bull.

I seem to always come out with more heifers then bulls, out of 51 calved i have 31 heifers and 20 bulls, with four left to calf. Iv had this streak for the last few years now, last year i ended up with 2 heifers for every bull.

i am going well here too, dont want to jinx it

Always was the same here, I have 43 friesan heifers from last year's, 87 calvings of which I had about 12 Angus calves. I didn't do anything different either. Think I got the tops and tails of the sexed semen!!

Back