Calf rearing- First timer

Diddly Dee

Hi all i'm starting Dairy Farming next spring in County Meath. I will milk 50 high EBI jersey cross heifers. Average EBI is 187.
I am milking once a day, as I work fulltime.

I'm happy with everything apart from calving and calf rearing. All heifers are calving in 28 days.

I'll be using IBC's as calf hutches for small calves when born, then into group pens.

what is the max i should be keeping to a group and how many calf feeding troughs do I need.

I was going to buy 2 10 teat feeders and a few bottles for the very young.
Budget is tighter than a nut, so i don't want to be foolish.

Any tips on calving, i'm going to get a moocall as I live off farm.

Saving money rearing calves is a massive false economy. They are your future, cut costs somewhere else, I dont care. I know IBC can be used as calf hitches, but for a first timer, I would be a little concerned. Get the males always Asap. 25 calves are easy reared with a 10 teat feeder, but requires a little time, as calves arent just another job.

Best of luck

Saving money rearing calves is a massive false economy. They are your future, cut costs somewhere else, I dont care. I know IBC can be used as calf hitches, but for a first timer, I would be a little concerned. Get the males always Asap. 25 calves are easy reared with a 10 teat feeder, but requires a little time, as calves arent just another job.

Best of luck
Im going flying herd for the first few years, A neighbour who is into calf to beef taking the bull calves. He wants them on Volac Blossom at 2 weeks.

Im not looking to skimp on calf rearing, I just not keen an spending stupid money on the feeders etc.

Not sure where it is. Anyway, quite simply, a wheelie bin can be got for around €50, a milk immersion €200(ish) and a plug timer for about €15. €265 for a milk heater that's easy washed.
cheap milk mixing

Calving camera

If using a ten teat feeder make sure your gate is long enough. I use six teat feeders on a 10-12 foot gate. As regards housing for calves if it is a wet cold Spring then feeding calves outdoors will be a miserable task for you. Also dont forget it will be dark when you are feeding them if you have a off farm job.

Last edited:
https://www.farmanddairyspares.ie/product/stockman-12-teat-non-compartment-calf-feeder/

Not too dear I think, anyone any experience of the best feeder make. How heavy are these? For the OP I would recommend the jfc milk cart, they hold 170 litres so would easily carry all his milk in one go. They have a pump and mixer built in so no bucketing. In the context of the investment you are making the outlay is small to speed up the job.

https://www.farmanddairyspares.ie/product/stockman-12-teat-non-compartment-calf-feeder/

Not too dear I think, anyone any experience of the best feeder make. How heavy are these? For the OP I would recommend the jfc milk cart, they hold 170 litres so would easily carry all his milk in one go. They have a pump and mixer built in so no bucketing. In the context of the investment you are making the outlay is small to speed up the job.
I’ve a jfc here should have bought one years ago.

If using ibc outside you'll need plenty of straw for bedding to keep calves warm. You'll need a feeder bucket with a nipple on it to get the calves started as well. My advice is as soon as the calf is out get the cow milked quickly so you can get the calf it's first feed, the instinct to suckle will diminish the ĺonger you leave it.

Im going flying herd for the first few years, A neighbour who is into calf to beef taking the bull calves. He wants them on Volac Blossom at 2 weeks.

Im not looking to skimp on calf rearing, I just not keen an spending stupid money on the feeders etc.
your neighbour is taking the bull calves, don,t tell anyone else or he,ll be tempted away from you by unscrupulous dairy farmers :wink:

Have you any help for the spring......if not your in for a shock milking, calving cows, feeding calves, managing grass and working full-time.

Last edited:
Have you any help for the spring......if not your in for a shock milking, calving cows, feeding calves, managing grass and working full-time.
Amen to that, some shock the first year. It starts off handy enough but the workload builds and builds. Having builders around doesn't help, finally turning up and then promptly stopping up for breakfast, tae, dinner etc, etc. They never seem to do two days in a row in one place either, preferring to never finish anyone's job. Oh the memories :scared:

I dont really have help, I'm taking a month off, luckily all the heifers are calving in three weeks.

I have most of the builders gone now. I'm installing the parlour myself and shes 90% done. The plan is to have all work done by mid Jan and they have a small break before the madness starts.

I'm starting to panic a bit!!

What do you mean by using IBC’s as calf hutches? How’s that going to work?
416136-c508931693482d2e1c273fc19f6510c4.jpg

I’m not so sure how that would work for newly born calves tho. They may be ok after a while but for young calves that set up is too open and cold in my opinion

Thanks for the reply, I wont be cutting such a big hole, large enough that I can get the calf out and bed or clean. I will have the IBCs under a roof facing into a shed. I have one set up with a heat lamp for a sick calf.
I was on a tour of a farm in the North last year and he had 100 Ibcs for calves all outside. He bedded them well and had healthy happy calves, No different to a calf hutch just less cost.

I will also cut the bottom out of my CV as I want all Liquids to escape.

Back