Calf wont suck

Just to update this, after 8 days, i couldnt get the better of the calf, i was giveing him 2 litres or so a day with the somach tube to keep him alive,20190319_112053.jpg today he was starting to fail very fast, i mentioned it to a friend who works foaling mares, she wanted to try something on the calf that they use on what they call dummy foals,(foals that wont suck) basicly she wrapped a long rope around the calfs body very tightly to simulate being in the birth canal, this renderd the calf unconsious, she kept the calf like this for 20 mins, when she released the ropes the calf acted exactly like a newborn calf, flopping his head around, trying to get to his feet, falling over etc, for all the world like pressing a reset button,20190319_112048.jpg left him for an hour or so to find his feet againScreenshot_20190319-165037_Gallery.jpg got him up to the cow, put the spin in his mouth, a few seconds later and away he goes, to say im amazed is an understatement, never seen the likes of it before!!!:Thumbp2::Thumbp2::Thumbp2:

Have to say @houlie87 , that is really fascinating. I'd say the farming newspapers would be interested in the story, maybe even the mainstream also. The study you have linked really adds to it. Is the increase in childhood autism linked to how common Cesareans are nowadays or better diagnosis? Anyway very interesting. Thanks for the follow up.

Have to say @houlie87 , that is really fascinating. I'd say the farming newspapers would be interested in the story, maybe even the mainstream also. The study you have linked really adds to it. Is the increase in childhood autism linked to how common Cesareans are nowadays or better diagnosis? Anyway very interesting. Thanks for the follow up.

it is very interesting, i had no faith at all in it until the calf started sucking, i was shocked, she gave the calf b12 and a steroid while he was out cold, but haveing used b12 before i don't think it would have caused such a drastic change in the calf, i don't know anything about the procedure, way above my pay grade!:lol: but she did say it happens with a lot of c sections or even fast births,

There are studies showing a link between dyspraxia ( a condition affecting physical coordination) and delivery by cesarean.

When I started reading that above post I have to admit that I rolled my eyes and shook my head. How wrong I was!! That's amazing.

Thats worth trying out, Ive had a few calves like that over the years. They usually get going after a month or two but the work is brutal. I had heard about the crush crate temple grandin adapted for use with autism but never realised it could work for that issue.

Back