Calving 2018

whelan1

Started here on sunday. Cow calved early. 3fr bull calves this morning. How's everyone else getting on?

keep all the calves to forward stores so once they,re alive i,m happy, if i was selling calves this year i,d be up the creek without a paddle as i went down in the tb test on friday:curse:

You are down again :cry::cry:

keep all the calves to forward stores so once they,re alive i,m happy, if i was selling calves this year i,d be up the creek without a paddle as i went down in the tb test on friday:curse:
Sorry to hear that, it's bad around here as well. Two neighbours lost over 40 animals even after going clear earlier in the year.

Two weeks calving, The first week was busy enough , second week quiet, leaving me with about 20% calved .
Then today, Ding dust 10% of my humble herd calved :sweat::sweat::sweat:
Cows obviously never heard of "The working time directive " very antisocial :smile::smile:
Went off the play a hurling match this morning and just as I arrived home 4 decided to calf, all I needed after giving an hour running around in the muck after a lad 16 years younger than me. 25% calved. Had a disastrous first 3 weeks of breeding and had a damaged mickey in the bull with the heifers so no Big Bang of them until about the 25Th of this month, time enough as the weather is testing.

never saw the ratio of fr bulls to heifers as bad, 10 to 1 :cry:, but they,re all alive so its glass half full :yes:
My mind wonders at times but you know the way they can test the siemen to get sexed siemen then, what do they do with the 'bull' part? Throw it away or is my overly simplistic view far too simplistic and a hell of a lot more science involved in that.

Last edited:
My mind wonders at times but you know they way they can test the siemen to get sexed siemen then, what do they do with the 'bull' part? Throw it away or is my overly simplistic view far too simplistic and a hell of a lot more science involved in that.
you,d wonder sometimes alright, didn,t oliver mcdonnell get in trouble with the indo for suggesting something like that ?

you,d wonder sometimes alright, didn,t oliver mcdonnell get in trouble with the indo for suggesting something like that ?
was that what he suggested? I can't remember but he lost his slot in the indo anyway. Maybe I'm being very sceptical but I'm pretty sure the males are not thrown away anyway..... We had an awful run of bulls last spring, so far we are 55:45 in favour of the ladies.

was that what he suggested? I can't remember but he lost his slot in the indo anyway. Maybe I'm being very sceptical but I'm pretty sure the males are not thrown away anyway..... We had an awful run of bulls last spring, so far we are 55:45 in favour of the ladies.
maybe its gods way of telling me not to expand the herd :smile:

Maybe Larry and the lads in the beef factories have the whole AI setup all under their wing and are using male sexed siemen to keep the black and white Bulls in the system and give the 2 fingers to the save our sucklers campaign-or maybe it's just bad luck. Mind wondering there again sorry

Maybe Larry and the lads in the beef factories have the whole AI setup all under their wing and are using male sexed siemen to keep the black and white Bulls in the system and give the 2 fingers to the save our sucklers campaign-or maybe it's just bad luck. Mind wondering there again sorry

Sure Larry wanted to call it 'Save Larrys Sucklers', but his staff in the journal thought it might be too obvious.

Ah it's hard to beat a good conspiracy. :eek3::eek3:
Sometimes you would loose hope bull after bull.
Over time does it not average out .

Back