Calving Camera

I would go the dynamic dns route, as having a fixed ip address isn't a great idea, you're a sitting duck for hackers...

Dynamic dns gives you an extra layer of protection.

Make sure to be careful what ports you leave open, ie, you want the minimal amount to serve the purpose and ideally ports that aren't common. You could port forward on your router in that case.

Starting to think I shouldn't do anything. Don't understand any of that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just coming on on this thread now, you guys seem to know your stuff so I put this to ye....
Would it work to use 4 cameras connected to a 4.8ghz transmitter via a multiplexer, a receiver then connected to my television, 150meters away from the calving box. Transmitter and receiver are for a camera on a remote control helicopter.
What ye think?

I think at 150 meters you might struggle with 4.8 as it will need line of sight. Why don't you try it with one camera first to see. Otherwise your idea seems fine

I'm going to resurrect this thread as our old camera has packed in, need a rotating 1 what can be viewed through the i-pad and phone, the wifi is about 100 metres away from the shed. Any links or advice? Thanks

I'm going to resurrect this thread as our old camera has packed in, need a rotating 1 what can be viewed through the i-pad and phone, the wifi is about 100 metres away from the shed. Any links or advice? Thanks

Tristan forde in bandon.6 _650 plus vat fitted.did ours last yr.doing a second yard for us nxt week

I've just got the few bits to set up a ptz camera over pretty much the exact same distance. I got 1 tp link cpe210 wireless antenna, it will broadcast a wireless signal over that sort of distance no problem once there's clear line of sight to where the camera will be.
Then for the moment I got a fairly cheap and cheerful wanscam wireless ptz off the bay, with the thinking if it all works ok the camera can always be up graded in future if needs be!

Had a play with it the other night and it'll do perfect for us. The iPad app for the camera is quick to open and only needs 1 tap to get into the camera, I didn't actually get to see how clear the image was myself yet as I was holding the camera up in the shed while the others inside were playing with the iPad, but they were happy enough with what could be seen and said its more than enough to see if there's something happening which is all we want really[emoji106]

If you can't get line of sight from the antenna to where ever in the shed you want to mount the camera you will need 2 antenna and mount one on the outside of the shed aswell to pick up the signal as they don't work great through any sort of blockage in line of sight.

My shed is 200m from my home. I was told I could install a PTZ in the centre of the shed. A tramsmitter on the outside of the shed facing my home. A receiver on the outside gable of my home facing the transmitter on the shed and that was that. No need to connect camera to transmitter and no need to connect receiver to broadband router. Apparently the signal would be carried by sheds electrical plug wiring and by my homes electrical wiring. An app called team viewer was mentioned and with all of this I would be able to view my camera over the net from anywhere in the world. I have no idea if it's fixed ip or not but I would love to understand how it all works. I don't want to have to configure settings on routers or phones/iPads if a Windows or apple software update happens or if the router fails. Does anyone know the full details of what is required?

My shed is 200m from my home. I was told I could install a PTZ in the centre of the shed. A tramsmitter on the outside of the shed facing my home. A receiver on the outside gable of my home facing the transmitter on the shed and that was that. No need to connect camera to transmitter and no need to connect receiver to broadband router. Apparently the signal would be carried by sheds electrical plug wiring and by my homes electrical wiring. An app called team viewer was mentioned and with all of this I would be able to view my camera over the net from anywhere in the world. I have no idea if it's fixed ip or not but I would love to understand how it all works. I don't want to have to configure settings on routers or phones/iPads if a Windows or apple software update happens or if the router fails. Does anyone know the full details of what is required?

sounds like they want to use powerline adapters to network modem to receiver/transmitter either end rather than run a network cable direct, you will need a power socket near the devices for this to work, basically it runs a network connection over your electrical wiring, they can be handy but not always brilliant, teamviewer is downloadable program where by you can install it on your home pc for example and then when you are on internet somewhere else you can log into teamviewer and get access to your home pc..it would get you out of a hole but its not ideal for remote viewing of a camera

Does anybody know the "best practise" methodology to access calving/security cameras remotely. I don't mind spending money as long as I get a quality product that does what it's supposed to do. Want clear picture, ability to switch on lights in the shed and ideally sound. The one person who gave me the above details on setting up cameras at my shed before Xmas could not be contacted on two occasions since and if he does not have time to take a call from a potential customer, has no voice mail setup and does not call back to c what u wanted I don't fancy depending on him for backup support when things go wrong!! That was the experience I had with a donegal outfit.

I know how you feel about not getting a call back. I am looking for a camera system also and I contacted 4 suppliers mid December. So far 3 have came back to me about it. Of these 3 only one has followed up with me and gave me prices and details of what I need. The remainder told me that they would do up a quotation and would have it in a day. I think I am going to go with a ptz camera in the shed with a router in the shed. Cheap enough to set up and in fairness he is the only guy that has taken the time to reply to any questions that I had. I am about 280m from the shed with poor line of sight so I think it will be most reliable. One of the guys that I contacted assured me that he is always available to troubleshoot or fix any issues that I would have once the cameras are installed. He must use a different number for that service as I can't get him on the number he used on his ad for the last 2 weeks!

About 100 hoggets to lamb within the next few weeks so want to get sorted with a camera managed without it all season but just fed up with going out to check and nothing happening..... Was thinking of an ip PTZ camera with the WiFi bridged from the house but thought about this . Is anyone here using a good drone for checking on ewes or cows . I was just looking at the top of the range drones The dji phantom 4 it has a 5km range House is only 100 meters from shed and that's really the only place I'd want to check it so 5km would b ideal. I like the idea of being able to go all around the shed and being able to hover over the ewes and go around to their back and you could get them to move if you couldn't see one . I reckon it'd work if the sheep got used to it although maybe not

That's mad ted! How would you fly the drone into the shed?

You'd just be able to fly around the outside and try to point the camera in at the openings.

How would you work it at night?

Simplest thing that I have seen:

2 of these - one each end of the shed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-8-12mm-...480989?hash=item3d099fed5d:g:jiAAAOSw4CFYz66R

Then get a prepaid wifi dongle from whichever provider provides the best network coverage. It'll cost you a max of €25 per month for the short time that you will be using it. The camera can be set up on the wifi using the phone app. You can view it from anywhere in the world on the app.

Back