Calving

Sucklers here. Try to calve the spring calvers in march and April so that they can go straight to grass (not this year though) so bulling is done in June and July. Autumn calvers calve in august and September. The bull gets them in November and DEC on the slats.

Sucklers here. Try to calve the spring calvers in march and April so that they can go straight to grass (not this year though) so bulling is done in June and July. Autumn calvers calve in august and September. The bull gets them in November and DEC on the slats.
Do you have any injuries with billing on slats @muckymanor ? I know a lot of lads do it but I've always been wary of it that an animal would get hurt arsing around

Do you have any injuries with billing on slats @muckymanor ? I know a lot of lads do it but I've always been wary of it that an animal would get hurt arsing around

We have 3 bulls and all of them do some bulling on slats but the charolais does the bulk of it. Thankfully we never had an injured bull. They spend all winter on slats.

1st of May for early feb calving and 1st jan for early October for the autumn 1's. Use tail paint here, keep changing colours and topping up tail paint at milking twice a week.

Ya dairy here.blackwater boy what do you put them in calf to then and do you calve most of them in 6 weeks?

1st May here, everything is tail painted now, whatever cow doesn't have it rubbed off by 1st of May will get scanned. Pure br fr bull left out to heifers, wayyy less hassle and more reliable than AI. Stock bull gets left out to cows as soon as I start getting sloppy with heat detection!, usually 4 to 6wks after msd. Bulls got pulled after 16wks last yr, will hopefully bring it into 15wks this yr.

heifers all got 5 weeks with the limo bull and he was taken out today and ch bull went in with the cows yesterday. Sucklers here and most run over a few days so start of feb for the main calving and hopefully i'l have all the heifers calved early.

Ya dairy here.blackwater boy what do you put them in calf to then and do you calve most of them in 6 weeks?
6-weeks of AI and they all get fresian, the odd 1 if it's a cows that we do not want a replacement off gets Hereford or Angus AI, after the Angus bull and fresian bull get let off together with them. The Angus is with the heifers for 6-7 weeks before that. I'd love to calf most of them in 6 weeks but that will never happen, started calving here 5th Feb, have 4 left now. Calf for approx 10-11 weeks. Will keep it to 10 this year as have enough cows and replacements also.

Back