Carbon farming

I'm kinda baffled that anyone connected to farming would find it revolutionary that spreading compost on grassland is going to improve soil health and yield. I mean this is pretty much the basics of farming.

Other countries simply haven't taken to and listened to these things like we have.
I was in Oz 10 years ago. Showed one beef and tillage farmer a copy of the Farmers Weekly. He saw a lad muck spreading in it. Was totally amazed by the concept of trying to put back what had been taken away.
Even the idea of rotating his cattle and tillage was an alien concept.
He was also astounded to read about 3t+/acre harvest. A serious yield for them was 1.5t

Isn't slurry liquid compost?
Digested rather than rotted grass / greenery.

Surely contains the same bad bits?

Might seem really dumbed down but good to see a positive video about farming that can explain it to people who think milk comes from a carton...

Isn't slurry liquid compost?
Digested rather than rotted grass / greenery.

Surely contains the same bad bits?
i wouldn't call slurry liquid compost
slurry can drown the beneficials in the soil and make it anaerobic

Reactions: AYF
Funny video, he got in a group of lads to pull the weeds on the farm, next video will be when he discovers a tractor and sprayer. Must be a city slicker turned farmer.

I think the problems arise from the more modern concept of focusing on one specific crop or type of farming.
Not enough bedding used in livestock farming here to make compost. Straw is removed from tillage land as it's used to feed livestock to aid rumen health with increased grain use.
I think we might have had the right system years ago with a potatoes in one year, spring barley for 2 years and grass for 4. A nice ratio of cattle feed to bedding to cash crop.

Back