Career change to Agri Mechanics

Discussion in 'Machinery Matters' started by Gilroy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Gilroy

Gilroy Well-Known Member

Currently worked in electronics and electrical, come from farming background but have the passion from tractors mainly. Strong electronic repairs skills as I work with major companies that fix all items.

How do you become a tractor mechanic but without to qualified bit? Even work side by side with local mechanic to learn more. Not on for goin back to study in college. Hands on is my preferred route.

Degrees in Engineering so covered, but need to change as don't have interest in it anymore.

2. johndeere6920s

johndeere6920s Well-Known Member

I woulsnt go down that road atal anyone that's good at electrical work on tractors will be in more demand than mechanical repairs easier work

AYF and bagenal like this.
  3. Gilroy

Gilroy Well-Known Member

But best to be reasonably skilled in both.

4. johndeere6920s

I wouldn't be sure I know a guy who used work as a mechanic in tractor garage savage at electronics he packed it in and he just does electrical work on tractors now he's flat out

5. marco

marco Well-Known Member

If I were you I'd get onto the likes of derv doctor and see about setting up an irish branch of his business. If your good at electronics it would be perfect for the remapping side, and if you wanted to do a bit of spannering, being able to offer egr dpf delete at the same time would make you quite abit of money.

6. Gilroy

Gilroy Well-Known Member

Thanks all, agree and might do as you mentioned. Like to rewire Ivor Williams trailers, fix ecu on tractors etc. So its in the blood.

No any company that fix tractor electrical/electronics? Give me some ideas when I see their websites

7. Gilroy

Gilroy Well-Known Member

Does he cover Ireland? Or works only local.

8. johndeere6920s

Just local he has more than enough demand locally

Gilroy likes this.
  9. towbar

towbar Well-Known Member

david king

goto company so definitely scope for similar over here - but big investment in setting up test rigs for so many machines and need the hooks into the manufacturers for schematics and parts etc.
    some time with a main dealer could help ...

https://dkelectronics.co.uk/

Gilroy likes this.
  10. Gilroy

Gilroy Well-Known Member

Thanks towbar, have schematics electrical for all Masseys and can read them no probs. Good on the side earner and I will study series over next few months.

11. Gilroy

Gilroy Well-Known Member

Going to give this a real go and do a Automotive electrics course to ensure all aspects covered. Youtube great source of help too.

Role on part time Massey electronics and electrical career. Need to build links with Massey tech's.

Hopefully I can learn a few mf series like back of my hand over next few months

12. jpt

jpt Well-Known Member

Get stuck into that 6170 so:weld:

Gilroy likes this.