Case 885xl repairs

Danube

How's it going lads. The 885xl is leaking transmission oil out from around the front and rear axle. I think it's the differential seals that they're called? (Open to correction here) There was supposed to be a lad coming out to do them but getting lads to look at older tractors is nearly impossible these days. What I'm wondering is it a big job to do it myself? Or am I better off getting someone to do it? There's some parts diagrams I got from the case dealer. Part no. 36 and no. 3 in the pictures. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Screenshot_20200625-132427_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20200625-132439_WhatsApp.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it is leaking at both ends. The 4wd drive solenoid has stopped working so it's in permanent 4wd at the moment.
Being in 4wd permanently might have caused the leaks. 4wd around the yard and on solid surfaces constantly puts savage pressure on the driveline when turning and the resulting windup can cause shafts to pull and push unnecessarily.

Being in 4wd permanently might have caused the leaks. 4wd around the yard and on solid surfaces constantly puts savage pressure on the driveline when turning and the resulting windup can cause shafts to pull and push unnecessarily.
Yeah I'd say it definitely didn't help the problem anyway. If I can't get the solenoid sorted then I might disconnect the shaft altogether. A new solenoid for it is violent expensive.

Yeah I'd say it definitely didn't help the problem anyway. If I can't get the solenoid sorted then I might disconnect the shaft altogether. A new solenoid for it is violent expensive.
How much is violent expensive do u mind me asking?

A little update. Had time recently so I decided to tackle into fixing the leak myself (a big undertaking for me with little knowledge and a manual shop manual I downloaded) I took off the shaft and replaced the oil seal at the rear of the 4wd shaft. Then I rewired the solenoid because it seemed to be clicking so I assumed it was working. I haven't put the full 4wd shaft back on yet because the output shaft is still turning. Does this mean the solenoid is not working correctly? Thanks in advance.

Snapchat-255015955.jpg Snapchat-1857456354.jpg

Just to add to above. I have also encountered another leak. I think it's coming from the plate under the TA but open to correction on this. It's coming from the plate with all the bolts in the picture. I'm just wondering what can be done with it. Would it be as simple as a gasket sealer?

Snapchat-272129852.jpg

Last edited:
A little update. Had time recently so I decided to tackle into fixing the leak myself (a big undertaking for me with little knowledge and a manual shop manual I downloaded) I took off the shaft and replaced the oil seal at the rear of the 4wd shaft. Then I rewired the solenoid because it seemed to be clicking so I assumed it was working. I haven't put the full 4wd shaft back on yet because the output shaft is still turning. Does this mean the solenoid is not working correctly? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 81422 View attachment 81423

You’d expect the output shaft to turn as it would still drag,the best way to check a coil on a solenoid is to remove the coil and stick a very strong magnet in its place.

You’d expect the output shaft to turn as it would still drag,the best way to check a coil on a solenoid is to remove the coil and stick a very strong magnet in its place.
Thanks for the reply. So if I put the 4wd shaft back on it won't turn if the solenoid is working?

I didn't think there was much point in starting a new thread. Might as well post all my novice questions in the one place :lol: So I bought an angle drive unit for the tachometer for the case and fitted it up but I'm still getting no revs shown on the dial. The cable is working with and without the angle drive on it when I use a drill on the end of it but doesn't seem to be working when I attach it to the tractor. I also now think the old unit is working fine. There is also some kind of adapter unit which the old angle drive was attached to and I'm just wondering if it is causing the problem? Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? TIA

20201116_183506.jpg

Snapchat-1980429244.jpg

The angled drive unit connects into one of the gears in the timing case, with the flat end on the shaft protruding from the angle gear drive unit.

Can you shine a torch in to see the condition of the gear inside the timing case?

Was the engine ever reconditioned or was that timing case off do you know? It's a pretty simple setup, maybe the wrong gear is in place.

Will the angle drive screw on without the adaptor, you need to measure how deep into the timing case the slot is that fits around the angle drive tip. Then see if the angle drive is engaging with the gear at all. On most tractors there is no adaptor but I don’t know about Case.

The angled drive unit connects into one of the gears in the timing case, with the flat end on the shaft protruding from the angle gear drive unit.

Can you shine a torch in to see the condition of the gear inside the timing case?

Was the engine ever reconditioned or was that timing case off do you know? It's a pretty simple setup, maybe the wrong gear is in place.
Not the way the tractor is at the moment no. Very limited space hard enough to get my arm in where that arrow is pointing. I have no clue of the previous history of the tractor. It arrived on a truck and that was the first time I saw it. In fairness it starts and runs perfect I'm just trying to do a few bits to it now and again when I have a bit of time.

Snapchat-612235124.jpg

Will the angle drive screw on without the adaptor, you need to measure how deep into the timing case the slot is that fits around the angle drive tip. Then see if the angle drive is engaging with the gear at all. On most tractors there is no adaptor but I don’t know about Case.
I haven't tried that yet because I was afraid it could damage internal gearing or would I be safe enough to try it? Ok I'll try and measure it tomorrow. I was half wondering if a previous owner might have stuck on that adapter to stop the hour clock moving. Or maybe that's just crazy talk :lol:

I haven't tried that yet because I was afraid it could damage internal gearing or would I be safe enough to try it? Ok I'll try and measure it tomorrow. I was half wondering if a previous owner might have stuck on that adapter to stop the hour clock moving. Or maybe that's just crazy talk :lol:
Just peep in with a mirror to see if the slot is there first, maybe remove fan belt and crank engine over to see if it’s turning. Then just measure how far in the back of the slot is from the edge of the timing case and compare it to how far the angle drive would reach in if screwed in with or without the extension adaptor.

Only got a chance to take a look at the tractor this evening. I took a picture of the inside of the hole and measured it and there was no way the angle drive was reaching the slot in the photo with that adapter so I took it off and screwed the angle drive straight in and it seems to be working away now. Thanks for all the help lads. Very much appreciated. Once again the forum proves to be an abundance of knowledge.

Screenshot_20201118-165552_Video Player.jpg

Only got a chance to take a look at the tractor this evening. I took a picture of the inside of the hole and measured it and there was no way the angle drive was reaching the slot in the photo with that adapter so I took it off and screwed the angle drive straight in and it seems to be working away now. Thanks for all the help lads. Very much appreciated. Once again the forum proves to be an abundance of knowledge.
Excellent, good result.

Back