Case or Ford

Christopher

Well lads looking for a tractor and a loader for feeding cattle and general loader work. Been looking at some fords and cases as there in my price range, which is anything below about €9k.

Found a Ford 4610 with a light enough looking loader. Tractor looks emaculate and loader too. It's 6.5k all together with a muck grab.

Also seen a case 856 xl, it too is extremely tidy and has nice looking loader. It's 5.2k with a bucket.

What yas think I should go for? One of these 2 or keep looking. Thanks in advance.

If €9k is your budget, you are best max it out to get the best yoke possible.
A 4610 will struggle with a round bale of silage on the loader

4610 is a great nippy little tractor, but as Mike points out is not up to heavy loader work.

A 5 or 6610 would be a much heavier build of a machine, but if doing a lot of loader work the synchro gearbox doesn't get great reviews, you'd be better with the sticks between the legs of an AP cabbed tractor.

The 856 would be a heavy built machine and well regarded but no idea what the gearbox is like in them for loader work

Welcome along Christopher

Apart from budget, whats your feeding situation?
Pit or bales?
In a yard or shed?
Hows are you for head height or turning circle within sheds/yard?
Are you outwintering?

You are comparing a 3cyl and a 4 cyl tractor there so both have advantages and disadvantages based on the questions above. As @Mike and @JohnBoy say a 4610 could be a bit light for loader work with bales of silage. That said counter measures can be taken depending on your set up.

Are the 2 tractors you are interested in 2wd or 4wd?

Last edited:
Welcome along Christopher.

We had a very tidy 2wd Ford 4610 here for seven years. I can safely say avoid it if you want something for lifting bales or blocks of silage.

The one here had a reasonably strong loader but still wasn't up to it.

The 856 is a different beast altogether with the main check being if the handbrake works or not.

Mainly pit silage that we feed, both are 2wd.
Can't have anything bigger than a massey 4255 as it wouldn't fit into the sheds
And even that is a tight squeeze.
Seen that the Ford is sold. Gonna ring about the case and keep looking I reckon.

Love three cylinder fords, but a 4000/4600/4610 will be at its limit with a good bale of hay on the front loader.

Are you sure the Case is an 856xl? I can't see one of those fitting in the shed either if I'm being honest. If looking at Case IH you need to be looking at a 885L or 895L I think for height alone.

I would seriously review too, you would be better off with a 4wd I think.

Wouldn't buy a telehandler as Ike to have a 3 point linkage. It would only have to go into one shed which has a doorway of about 100 inches by 80 inches. The neighbours 4255 cab fit in alright but is a bit of a squeeze width wise.

Maybe a 4255 is what u should be looking for. You'll need to double ur budget tho. They should hold they're value well and def handle the bales on the loader a lot safer than a 3 cylinder. It's easy spending other people's money.

My budget is no more than 10 grand. That case 856 xl would be perfect for what I would use it for. Gonna ring your man 2day and try organise a day I can go see it.

Wouldn't buy a telehandler as Ike to have a 3 point linkage. It would only have to go into one shed which has a doorway of about 100 inches by 80 inches. The neighbours 4255 cab fit in alright but is a bit of a squeeze width wise.

I'd be very careful as it won't work I reckon.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/002/3/0/2309-international-harvester-856xl-dimensions.html

This states that the height is over 100in...

Depending on the track width of the 4255, I think the 856 will be a similar width.

Back