Cattle diseases

JOHNNY BOY

Right here's a strange one for me anyways.
Never had a case of blood scour or coxsideoscous ( spelling i think ) before last year. Had two calves last year with it, two this year again. Lost one of them each time. The surviver this year is well shook and this weather ain't helping so fingers crossed with him.
Any ideas on what could be the cause. Started in late July last year, first case in early July this year.
All on the same ground as last year as well (12 acres)
All views and thoughts much appreciated :Thumbp2:

Biggest problem we had in the past with this was around water and feed troughs with birds pooing in them.

That's the first place I'd look anyway.

Biggest problem we had in the past with this was around water and feed troughs with birds pooing in them.

That's the first place I'd look anyway.
Funny you mention that nash cause i only cleared the drinker in that area when I was moving them into it. Was fair bad with bird sh1t and god knows what. Only a few weeks since they were in there before and the troughs were clean then

You could nearly be aswell off treating the whole bunch of calves once you see the first signs of it.

We give a small bit of nutmeg to a calf that's recovering from coccidiosis to help heel the gut.

Have lost calves with it here before.

Started using bovicox here rather than vecoxan . All calves get a dose of it. Find it very good. Its 1 dose rather tha the 2 dose vecoxan

Just normal baggedlime like white rhino?

Following a Salmonella outbreak a few years ago we have gotten in to a habit of bringing a flexible 1½" pipe with us when getting paddocks ready. We syphon out the Trough and throw in a handful of ordinary cubicle lime in. We've no green shyte growing in the troughs. The meal troughs that we use for calves in the spring are just a quarry pipe split in half and turned over before feeding. The calves are getting no meal now.

You could nearly be aswell off treating the whole bunch of calves once you see the first signs of it.

We give a small bit of nutmeg to a calf that's recovering from coccidiosis to help heel the gut.

Have lost calves with it here before.
never heard of nutmeg before, good tip there mf:Thumbp2:

Following a Salmonella outbreak a few years ago we have gotten in to a habit of bringing a flexible 1½" pipe with us when getting paddocks ready. We syphon out the Trough and throw in a handful of ordinary cubicle lime in. We've no green shyte growing in the troughs. The meal troughs that we use for calves in the spring are just a quarry pipe split in half and turned over before feeding. The calves are getting no meal now.
every time you go back to the paddock or just once a year bruce? who has the pleasure of sucking the pipe to get it going:huh:

every time you go back to the paddock or just once a year bruce? who has the pleasure of sucking the pipe to get it going:huh:

I was wondering the same! We only have the small drinkers here and use a normal bucket plus a 2l milk carton with the top cut off it bar around the handle (so like taking a quarter off it)

Something else that dirty drinking troughs can trigger in cattle is timber tongue. Not overly common tbf and very easy to treat.

I was wondering the same! We only have the small drinkers here and use a normal bucket plus a 2l milk carton with the top cut off it bar around the handle (so like taking a quarter off it)
It never ceases to amaze me that every time you mention a syphon, lips are stuck to a pipe!!! Immerse the whole pipe in the Trough, place the palm of your hand over the end of the pipe, pull it out and keep one end in the Trough and when the other is lower than the water take your hand off of the pipe and viola....a syphon.
Empty the troughs every other grazing here. I don't believe in oversized troughs.

It never ceases to amaze me that every time you mention a syphon, lips are stuck to a pipe!!! Immerse the whole pipe in the Trough, place the palm of your hand over the end of the pipe, pull it out and keep one end in the Trough and when the other is lower than the water take your hand off of the pipe and viola....a syphon.
Empty the troughs every other grazing here. I don't believe in oversized troughs.
thanks for the tip brucey, people don,t realise how much cows prefer fresh water and i often see them drinking as close to the ballcock as possible to get the cool fresh supply

Something else that dirty drinking troughs can trigger in cattle is timber tongue. Not overly common tbf and very easy to treat.

That's odd that you say that DP.

We had a case of that two years ago, the bet blamed it on a thorn as far as I recall.

It's not the grandest to treat is my recollection, something like 5 intramuscular injections in the neck once a day if I recall.

That's odd that you say that DP.

We had a case of that two years ago, the bet blamed it on a thorn as far as I recall.

It's not the grandest to treat is my recollection, something like 5 intramuscular injections in the neck once a day if I recall.
Might be wrong but I always thought that timbertongue was picked up from the soil, really tight grazing would cause it if the bug was present, 1 shot of long acting antibiotic usually sorts it.

Might be wrong but I always thought that timbertongue was picked up from the soil, really tight grazing would cause it if the bug was present, 1 shot of long acting antibiotic usually sorts it.
It might not be timber tongue as such but the symptoms are pretty much the same. Usually a good shot of penstrep cures it.

Had a 15 month old bullock go wrong on Monday with Vitamin B 1 deficiency, causes a thing called CCN which affects the brain, came on him very fast and I'd never seen it before but apparently it's a bit more prevalent this year for some reason, whether this lad will make a full recovery is yet to be seen as he may have reduced brain function, he has yet to stand properly which does not bode well yet he is eating and drinking as normal.
A bit of reading..http://www.xlvets.ie/sites/xlvets.ie/files/press-article-files/Nationalist_16Jul14_MOConnor.pdf

Had a calf with meningitis the other day, she couldnt see, got vet and she's going back in with her group today. Touch would she will stay ok

Had a 15 month old bullock go wrong on Monday with Vitamin B 1 deficiency, causes a thing called CCN which affects the brain, came on him very fast and I'd never seen it before but apparently it's a bit more prevalent this year for some reason, whether this lad will make a full recovery is yet to be seen as he may have reduced brain function, he has yet to stand properly which does not bode well yet he is eating and drinking as normal.
A bit of reading..http://www.xlvets.ie/sites/xlvets.ie/files/press-article-files/Nationalist_16Jul14_MOConnor.pdf

We had that in sheep and it led to us getting out of sheep . We had six lambs in the freezer before they worked out what it was . Around the same time we had Looping ill in cattle so they initially thought it might be tick borne disease . I also thought there was a soil borne element to it .

My bullock would appear to be fully recovered, It was like he had to learn to stand and walk again, I had him separated from the others by a wire then one day I was putting up a temporary fence to herd the others past him to fresh grass, he took it in his head that I was trying to corner him and cleared the fence as good as a racehorse into the other bunch, they shoved him around for a few minutes then settled down, apart from the vet bill I expect he will go forward as normal now.

My bullock would appear to be fully recovered, It was like he had to learn to stand and walk again, I had him separated from the others by a wire then one day I was putting up a temporary fence to herd the others past him to fresh grass, he took it in his head that I was trying to corner him and cleared the fence as good as a racehorse into the other bunch, they shoved him around for a few minutes then settled down, apart from the vet bill I expect he will go forward as normal now.
Vit B1 deficiency would be common enough and usually full recovery if spotted in time

Back