Chainsaw thread who got what?

Well were back splitting and cutting for the approaching winter.]

I buy one of these if it were made by Husky but not this brand.............

IMG-20150626-WA0000_zpsdr7lotvd.jpg

Just said I'd put up an update. The MS180 I got for the wife a few months back...... I love it!

The clutch was on the way out when I got it. I could probably have gone back to the shop I got it in, but spurious parts are unreal cheap for this saw, so I just ordered online for a little more than the diesel to go over and back with the saw for a repair.

I've only been using it here and there, more as a carpentry tool than firewood but used it for a bit on saturday cleaning up a tree with a lot of ivy on it. Its got a very "mild" chain on it, it still gets things done, but the great thing is there's almost zero kickback no matter how stupid you get with the nose. it's still a chainsaw obviously, but the most manageable one I've ever used.

After I was finished cleanup I figured I may as well run out the tank. I was cutting 10-16 inch rounds in ash and as long as you dont force it it was pretty amazing what it could cut.

if I get the time to dig in and find the source of the oil leak from it then it'd be nigh on perfect.

have a ms170 here and altho its a small saw its wild handy for lighter work, dosent pull the arms out of you either.
and in fairness to it, its a gutsy wee saw.

Thought that this might be a better thread for this than starting a new one.

If I get into GLAS, which I assume I will as I'm tier 2, I have to do 450 meters of coppicing. It is all blackthorn and whitethorn hedhges. They have been well maintained with the hedgecutter and none are more than 4ft high. I'll be cutting nothing greater than 3" - 90% less than 2". It is a good bit of work - the hedges are thin at the buts but thick on top. Butts will be hard accessed with a chainsaw. There is barbed wire through it in some places, so a tractor with circular saw is not an option. I'm banking on being able to do 100m per day - so 4 days.

What's your thoughts on the best type of saw for cutting these hedges? The plan would be to get on top of the hedge bank and saw and remove to the side with a pitchfork - a meter at a time. Has anyone got a clearing saw? Do you think that one of these would work?

[YOUTUBE][ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBMPLa-H5vU[/ame][/YOUTUBE]

I coppiced about 500 metres of hedge with wire in it using a Powersharp chain on my new saw . The sides had been flailed so access was made easier but it was on a double bank so the hedge cutter could not reach in due to LFM (Lacking Moral Fibre) . Some were small trees and I used to do about two hours work at it every morning . I probably used three chains due to them getting wrecked with wire . I used the Hitachi to remove the debris .

Lads, is it worth the extra money for a tungsten carbide chainsaw chain? Are the claims that it will last 10 times longer true?

Did some reading on the stihl pico duro recently and it seems that if you treat it right then yes. but it doesnt magically turn a chainsaw into a consaw.

if you stop cutting when it dulls it will be fine, the risk is that you think "ive a ninja chain, I'll plough on" and the heat melts the solder holding the carbide in place. then you've got a chain with no teeth that cannot be fixed.

Sadly I was looking for something to turn a chainsaw into a consaw for cutting up root balls and other dirty work. seems the only thing for that is a rescue saw chain, but one of those is worth more than all 3 of my saws.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmyIrgV3OVc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmyIrgV3OVc[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IoirFMQREs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IoirFMQREs[/ame]

Last edited:
Been looking to purchase a chainsaw and see a good price on a Husqvarna
550XP are these the semi professional saws talked about further back in this thread or are they the troublesome DIY.

Been looking to purchase a chainsaw and see a good price on a Husqvarna
550XP are these the semi professional saws talked about further back in this thread or are they the troublesome DIY.

It was I that bought the 550XP and I was told it is a professional saw and it is a joy to use . I think I paid €730 off Coughlan in Carlow but I got the powersharp chain for it so that might have altered the price . There might be better saws out there but I trust Coughlans to keep me going if there are any issues . They know their small engines .
My previous Saw to the bigger 575 lasted me 18 years until my brother traded it in ,

I would have thought the 550xp was at least 3/4 professional

I concur .

It was I that bought the 550XP and I was told it is a professional saw and it is a joy to use . I think I paid €730 off Coughlan in Carlow but I got the powersharp chain for it so that might have altered the price . There might be better saws out there but I trust Coughlans to keep me going if there are any issues . They know their small engines .
My previous Saw to the bigger 575 lasted me 18 years until my brother traded it in ,

I concur .

Sounds good thanks ,asking £525 including VAT with 15" bar

Lads does anyone here use aspen?

Been having awful trouble this year with fuel going bad so bought a gallon at the weekend.

Thirty euro is a lot to give for a gallon of juice, but dumping 2 month old 2 stroke mix isnt exactly free either

Been having awful trouble this year with fuel going bad so bought a gallon at the weekend.

Thirty euro is a lot to give for a gallon of juice, but dumping 2 month old 2 stroke mix isnt exactly free either

Never used Aspen but remember having fuel troubles in the past so took the saw into JJ O'Carrolls in Tipp, think you dealt with them, anyhow he asked what i was storing the fuel mix in and gave me proper storage container and no bother since.

Running it this year on the recommendation of the guy that serviced the saw.

http://www.smlawnmowers.ie/

He is selling it for €20 for a mixed drum. The saws appear to run a lot better on it. It certainly doesn't produce any sickening fumes and that can only be good for health. He recons that the saws should have a much longer life because of it.

Sounds pretty expensive alright! Between strimmer, hedge cutter, leaf blower and saws we don't have much problem with fuel going stale though.

Did you notice any difference in performance or how long a fill would last when you switched to the Aspen?

im using aspen 4 in the new saw and mixing it with stihl ultra,local husky dealer selling it here for €22 for 5 litres I didn't price aspen 2 though.

Aspen 2 is for two stroke and 4 for your four stroke engine. I use it when putting stuff away, what i do is run them out and put a cup full in then run them until they are nearly out and put them away.................

the price of it is the biggest put off, especially at the rate tan engine can go through it.
i sure as hell wouldnt like to head out for a dull days cutting with my stihl strimmer, she is the second biggest in the range and by god she can drink fuel.
id hate to foot the bill for that one tbh.

in saying all that there is the bit where its supposed to be the best of the best when it comes to fuel.
but id have to side with stocks way of doing it, be cheaper and nearly as good.

Aspen 2 is for two stroke and 4 for your four stroke engine. I use it when putting stuff away, what i do is run them out and put a cup full in then run them until they are nearly out and put them away.................
thats dedication.
but its nice to see someone caring for their stuff, i wish i was better at it times.

yeah, if I was using it the whole time I wouldnt be having these problems so would stick with the petrol, but I dont think I've ever used a full gallon of 2 stroke in a day, and it could easy be a month or two between days so it might suit.

I'll see how it goes, might also try a proper can for the pedril, I'd love one of the fancy husqvarna auto spout jobbies but they're over 50 quid, for a fuel can like.....

yeah, if I was using it the whole time I wouldnt be having these problems so would stick with the petrol, but I dont think I've ever used a full gallon of 2 stroke in a day, and it could easy be a month or two between days so it might suit.

I'll see how it goes, might also try a proper can for the pedril, I'd love one of the fancy husqvarna auto spout jobbies but they're over 50 quid, for a fuel can like.....

http://www.forestandarb.com/fuel_cans.html
are you talking euros or sterling

no more than you i dont have the saw out every day for a full day, it id be rare id do more than a few hours at a time which wouldnt be too often either.
i have a right few small engines here that id be horrid dear to keep aspen in all of them.
let us know what you think of it when your well through it anyways, i suspect it all good apart from the bitter price.

as for the can, i have the stihl twin type here with an auto fill spout for the petrol.
it wasnt cheap, dearer then the 50 spot anyways, iirc it was up near 100 when all was said and done.
anyways, if it ever breaks, it ill be replaced straight away.
its wild handy, quick and clean not to mention fast.
open saw cap, push down on spout, close cap, job done.
they may be a luxury, but i like it.

Back