Chainsaw thread who got what?

Hi all...Late to this thread...I'm a new member so just reading through threads now..great to read everyones chainsaw prefernces/tips :)

I have a Husky 560 xp with 18in bar - have it 1 -2 yrs, a joy to use...serious torque, would definitely recommend

Also have an old 1970's (i think) Homelite XL saw of the ould lads...still runs sweet but it's rather heavy and so doesn't cut much these days.

Hi all...Late to this thread...I'm a new member so just reading through threads now..great to read everyones chainsaw prefernces/tips :)

I have a Husky 560 xp with 18in bar - have it 1 -2 yrs, a joy to use...serious torque, would definitely recommend

Also have an old 1970's (i think) Homelite XL saw of the ould lads...still runs sweet but it's rather heavy and so doesn't cut much these days.

Had a homelite at work was a great saw but heavy as you say . Had a little hand pump lever for the chain oil ,

Had a homelite at work was a great saw but heavy as you say . Had a little hand pump lever for the chain oil ,

The one at home is the automatic version of probably the same saw, Homelite Super XL, red in colour..I got it serviced a year or two ago and the guy had 3 or 4 of them in the shop, 1 for sale the rest for parts but goes to show how well they lasted.

This reminds me I must start it. Never really use it, great power and cutting ability but it's hard to get used to no front guard/ chain brake now as well as the extra weight

The one at home is the automatic version of probably the same saw, Homelite Super XL, red in colour..I got it serviced a year or two ago and the guy had 3 or 4 of them in the shop, 1 for sale the rest for parts but goes to show how well they lasted.

This reminds me I must start it. Never really use it, great power and cutting ability but it's hard to get used to no front guard/ chain brake now as well as the extra weight

I have a mark on my knee from one . Chain brake are for wimps .

Bought the Husqvarna Fuel and Chain oil Combi can and find it very handy . It has a place for the wrench and spare chain . The non spill filling system works well for the fuel but I use the ordinary nozzle for the oil as it is too slow .
20151119_154459.jpg

Bought the Husqvarna Fuel and Chain oil Combi can and find it very handy . It has a place for the wrench and spare chain . The non spill filling system works well for the fuel but I use the ordinary nozzle for the oil as it is too slow .

20151119_154459.jpg

Those cans are a brilliant job and the spouts are very very handy! But I do agree about the chain oil being stupidly slow through them!!

That's handy looking alright, especially with the small storage compartment!
A new saw too, I see... Well wear! :thumbup:

I have it nearly a year but I had to get a bar the other day as it split at the end . The saw has too much power for that type of chain . When I am finished cutting the ditches I will get another bar for it with an ordinary chain .

Yeah I did some reading up on them recently and they're only intended for up to 36cc saws I think. Not 50cc pro machines!!!

Lads cn anyone recommend a lightweight saw that is fit for semiprofessional use ideally without breaking the bank.
I have a stihl 390 here which is a good saw but heavy for light work iykim.

I got a loan of a stihl 181 of my brother last week that's on its second chain and it calved after a few hours work.
He has to buy a saw now and wants to try somethinh different.

For myself I think im doing more than I used to and keeping the 390 for heavy work and buying a lighter saw for general work might make more sense than trading in.
Apparently the 390 is fairly long lasting,maybe better than newer ones.
Some say stihl are not what they used to be.

Lads cn anyone recommend a lightweight saw that is fit for semiprofessional use ideally without breaking the bank.
I have a stihl 390 here which is a good saw but heavy for light work iykim.

I got a loan of a stihl 181 of my brother last week that's on its second chain and it calved after a few hours work.
He has to buy a saw now and wants to try somethinh different.

For myself I think im doing more than I used to and keeping the 390 for heavy work and buying a lighter saw for general work might make more sense than trading in.
Apparently the 390 is fairly long lasting,maybe better than newer ones.
Some say stihl are not what they used to be.

A tree man of over 70 years of age told me that the 390 were stihls best ever saw for all purpose work and to never sell mine without letting him know first, as the newer equivalent models were nowhere close.
Needless to say I stihl have mine and no intention to sell.

If you want a cheap good saw, tanaka are a Japanese made saw and I'm hearing nothing but good reports about them. They are a lightweight saw. They even do a top handle version. They mightnt have the same pedigree or status of a Stihl or Husqvarna, but at least you know they are made in Japan IYKWIM.

http://www.echo-tools.co.uk/index.php?id=753

From my research far and away the best cheap/light saw on the market. 5 year domestic warranty, 2 year professional. Atkins told me that farming is domestic!!!!

Lighter than the MS181 but with 5 cc more.

If I was buying new last year when looking for the wifeysaw I'd have gone with echo over stihl

Did somebody say that they had experience of a zomax saw?
Local crowd import them and report good results

Anyone use one of them pole saws
i dont have one even tho ive priced one a few times, they arent cheap for the good long ones.

i know a lad who has one, a stihl, id say its about 6 or 7 yrs old now but i mind him saying the blade could of done with more of an angle then he had on his, which im not sure if was any at all tbh but i think it might of been about 15dgs off straight.

his gripe with it was when he cut a high branch he wasnt fit to get a good enough angle on it to cut it from the top down.
if he was cutting it off from the side where he had some degree of angle when the branch went to go it id nip the blade and then he was stuck.

maybe times have moved on and its an option now but if i was buying one id be looking for one with a good angle on it if at all possible.
not that ive used one but what he was saying made sense to me anyways.
and like a lot of thing too there is probably a knack in it.

Anyone use one of them pole saws
Husqvarna had an offer on strimmers with a pole saw attachment a few months ago .
A friend of mine that does gardening has a couple of pole saws one is an oddball make that he cannot get parts for .

The tanaka or hitachi are worth a look. Think it's the 4501 or 4801 I have for light work. It's 45cc,very to easy start, 18 inch bar and very light. Cost about 350 about 4 years ago. The zomax have a good name, and there are a lot of the Stihl, husky dealers selling them aswell, as a cheaper alternative

Ran into a spot of bother with her MS180 at the weekend. It's stopped oiling, and I'd say a little while ago. Bar is just about shagged I'd say, chain doesnt look terrible I have to say.

Did some rooting this evening, looks to be a right hoor of a job to change the oil line, I need to read up on it, but based on the ripping I've done so far I'm starting to think the whole feckin engine has to come out of it!

Oil pump drive looks fine so I'm figuring it must be a supply issue.

Ran into a spot of bother with her MS180 at the weekend. It's stopped oiling, and I'd say a little while ago. Bar is just about shagged I'd say, chain doesnt look terrible I have to say.

Did some rooting this evening, looks to be a right hoor of a job to change the oil line, I need to read up on it, but based on the ripping I've done so far I'm starting to think the whole feckin engine has to come out of it!

Id say she is gutted with a letdown of hard labour like that. You may buy her a new chainsaw for Valentines . :smile: :fight:

heres a vid that might help.also it might be the filter on the pump pickup pipe blocked with sawdust

Id say she is gutted with a letdown of hard labour like that. You may buy her a new chainsaw for Valentines . :smile: :fight:

Where'd the fun be in that? have never taken a saw apart before. Maybe I'll be able to put it back together :)

Does she have any sisters?
I'd say there would be a queue on here if she had!!

I got the best one!

heres a vid that might help.also it might be the filter on the pump pickup pipe blocked with sawdust

Thanks for that I'm most of the way in there now. removing the flywheel scares me a bit, is the shaft keyed?

Back