Chainsaw thread who got what?

Discussion in 'Forestry' started by Stock, Feb 11, 2014.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Well-Known Member

Father had a 60cc efco for years, sister brand of oleo mac. Got on very well with it, bit heavy but was an animal for torque compared to my 60cc husky.

But on your own saw I have similar problems.... when it gets hot and dies, crack open the fuel tank and close it straight away, then try start it again.

Mine gives similar symptoms, it's the tank breather in my case

muckymanor likes this.
  2. Seedsower

Seedsower Well-Known Member

I have an efco strimmer for 20 years.doesn't do a lot of work ,maybe 5 half hour session a year.never failed to start or had a spanner on it.

muckymanor likes this.
  3. muckymanor

muckymanor Well-Known Member

There's a nice 40cc oleo Mac at €200 in the local dealers. I see them online for the same. There's efco saws online and they are slightly more expensive. I'd probably buy local just for the backup.

Undecided yet. My old saw could cost €50 to €100 to get repaired. I like a light saw. Very handy for fencing. But my current saw is heart breaking . It will start if i rebprime it but will conk out again as soon as it is let idle. Sometimes it is down on power while cutting too. I'm sick of it really.

4. JohnBoy

Try what I said, just open/close the fuel tank and see will it restart.

You're describing my exact problem.

I'll bet it's fine when you start it first?

I've a lot spent on different service men promising to fix mine and eventually figured it out for myself that its the tank breather.

muckymanor likes this.
  5. muckymanor

I'll give it a shot and see does it make a difference. How would I clean it?

6. JohnBoy

I haven't managed to clean it, it's a replaceable part for a few euro, easy done too.

But I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, since I figured it out I just open/close it. Twice per tank is generally enough.

muckymanor likes this.
  7. muckymanor

It makes no difference if I open the cap. Brought it to a repair guy today intending to get it fixed and got a €100 trade in against this. Lovely saw that has loads of power and cuts like a dream. Oleo Mac 400. IMG_20200630_152748_3.jpg

nashmach, Alfie, massey 6480 and 2 others like this.
  8. JohnBoy

Well wear.

For that trade in you couldn't go wrong