Changing a green diesel tank to white

J

John kverneland

I currently have a tank (1500 liters) which I use for the tractor diesel. I want to put white diesel in it for the jeep and buy a new one for green. Would it be ok to just drain it?

Definitely not i`m afraid . To just drain the tank will still leave diesel in it. Whether its enough to colour your white diesel possibly . Not worth the risk . Rinse out the tank a few times with white diesel and it should be ok .:unsure:
I currently have a tank (1500 liters) which I use for the tractor diesel. I want to put white diesel in it for the jeep and buy a new one for green. Would it be ok to just drain it?

Yes the one hose from the truck fills auto ,green and kero .
They actually rinse the fuel hose with white diesel and let the rinse back in to the green diesel before filling up a tank of white diesel .

You can only be done if there is a certain percentage of green diesel, I think it is 5%.
As long as the tank, filters and pipes are fully drained you will be fine, just make sure you have a lean back on the tank and leave it settle for a couple of days after moving and filling it.
If you are not moving it make sure you fully drained it by either jacking up the back of the tank or by removing the bung at the lowest point.

Same as @gone I believe there is a tolerance, although I always thought it was 3% but not sure. Even at 3% you could leave 45 litres in it and you'd be grand although don't hold me to it. We use the same bowser for green and white and don't lose too much sleep over it.

Perhaps when it's full of white I could pump some into the tractor that would empty the green out if the filters and hose?

Is the new marker not more of a true or false test rather than a %. Not sure myself but I thought it was.

I'm open to correction but I thought the allowance of green in white diesel is less then 1%?. I know customs and excise have tightened up a lot on it.

So even if the slightest few drops remained in the tank you could get caught? There are ribs in the bottom of the tank that hold on to some even when the tank is empty..

So even if the slightest few drops remained in the tank you could get caught? There are ribs in the bottom of the tank that hold on to some even when the tank is empty..
easier to empty out properly then try to argue a case against them b*****ds ,any one notice the price of white diesel never dropped .It peaked at €1.40 locally and the best i could see since was €1.39 .I taught oil was suppose to drop in price a good bit!!!

,any one notice the price of white diesel never dropped .It peaked at €1.40 locally and the best i could see since was €1.39 .I taught oil was suppose to drop in price a good bit!!!
Road diesel prices dropped about 7c/L here, but petrol has dropped by a lot more.
The wholesale price of diesel in the US has dropped by about $0.30/US Gallon while petrol has dropped by nearly $0.60.
This push to discredit diesel cars might rebalance the diesel prices.

A few litres in with 1500 of white wouldn't even show I would think but if you thought you had several gallons still in your tank I'd be very wary of filling it with white. Is upending it an option?. I won't say tipping it through 90 degrees but lifting the back enough to get all the old fuel out.

easier to empty out properly then try to argue a case against them b*****ds ,any one notice the price of white diesel never dropped .It peaked at €1.40 locally and the best i could see since was €1.39 .I taught oil was suppose to drop in price a good bit!!!
Filled the pickup tonight, 141.9 here. Petrol dropped by 7 or 8 cents but diesel dropped by only 4 cents.

I'd definitely tip the tank up to 45 degrees or as close to it as is safe. That'll drain all except a few litres. When the oil lorry delivers here his hose holds 100 litres by itself. If I order 2500 litres of green he'll programme the pump to deliver 2400 lts then he'll change the valve over to the next oil type he's going to pump next. So then he pumps the final 100 lts of green out and it's followed immediately by white or kero or whatever's next. So very little if any mixing done. I always let a new delivery settle over night before use and I have 10 micron filters fitted to the tank also.

Certainly makes sense. We usually have a tractor air-locked in the middle of a field somewhere before it occurs to anyone to order a fill :unsure:
Fuel gauge not working.... have one here and very easy get caught out when there’s a few different drivers.

I'd definitely tip the tank up to 45 degrees or as close to it as is safe. That'll drain all except a few litres. When the oil lorry delivers here his hose holds 100 litres by itself. If I order 2500 litres of green he'll programme the pump to deliver 2400 lts then he'll change the valve over to the next oil type he's going to pump next. So then he pumps the final 100 lts of green out and it's followed immediately by white or kero or whatever's next. So very little if any mixing done. I always let a new delivery settle over night before use and I have 10 micron filters fitted to the tank also.
Bang on

I did a tank swop some years back.
When no more green came out l tilted the tank and slid a couple of fence posts underneath to keep angled. Got another 70 litres out of it.
Went off to filling station with an empty oil barrel in back of pickup and put in 200 litres of white and decanted it into tank. That was then pumped out into the tractor and filled with white at the next delivery.
Within less than a week (so pickup was still running on first fill from my own storage) l ran into a customs checkpoint for the first and only time in my life just outside Fermoy and was dipped. Not a word was said to me. Although this was all 15 or 16 years ago now.

Back