Cheapish round baler

highlander

half fancying getting a round baler to do our own silage/hay, maybe 150-200 bales.

really it will be haylage as we will wilt it as much as possible. only concern is these old balers wont make such a tight bale as the modern ones will that have any affect on how silage keeps? budget , say £2500 give or take, peferably net, is this possible? any sugestions on what to look at, cheers

half fancying getting a round baler to do our own silage/hay, maybe 150-200 bales.

really it will be haylage as we will wilt it as much as possible. only concern is these old balers wont make such a tight bale as the modern ones will that have any affect on how silage keeps? budget , say £2500 give or take, peferably net, is this possible? any sugestions on what to look at, cheers
same as agri power said class 46. be no fancy bells or whistles but itl make bales. many people will tell u your mad to buy a baler for that little amount per annum but if thats wat ya wanna do go for it

We make around 800 bales a year here and have taught about our own baler before. But all our bales are made in July and August and maybe September and we would usually be busy and not have the time to bale. Sometimes it's easier to let someone else do it when they have a good modern baler for the job

The trouble is when you have a dry crop like hayledge and there's air in the bale you will get mold.
Hay would be fine tho

The trouble is when you have a dry crop like hayledge and there's air in the bale you will get mold.
Hay would be fine tho
thats what im concerned about, the contractor that does ours just now has a vicon belt baler and it packs the centres like iron, i remember way back in the 90's getting wilted stuff baled and it was bad with mold.

Hay would be fine tho

Why will there be air in the bale? We made the finest of stuff with an RP12s. Enough plastic is the most important thing, I see lads baling silage with tractors that wouldn't be fit to pack a tight bale, 6 layers of plastic and they never have a problem.

thats what im concerned about, the contractor that does ours just now has a vicon belt baler and it packs the centres like iron, i remember way back in the 90's getting wilted stuff baled and it was bad with mold.
A roller baler won't even come close to a belt baler in them crops.my partner in crime has a new holland 644 it's a good baler just slow and the monitor is vastly complicated

Another vote for a 46 here! Main things to check are chains first of all, main bearings to check would be the roter bearing, the bearings on the top roller(the one the door hinges on) and the one the pick up hinges on, after that any bearing could go at any time, also the cam track and bearings are another place to check, and if you put too much power through it you will shear the shaft in the top roller, oh and also chech where the door rams attach to the main frame of the baler, they have a habit of ripping off aswell!

We make around 800 bales a year here and have taught about our own baler before. But all our bales are made in July and August and maybe September and we would usually be busy and not have the time to bale. Sometimes it's easier to let someone else do it when they have a good modern baler for the job

there are several reasons for wanting a baler myself, because we have so little, contractors tend to put you to the back of the que, this year we missed the weather window and it got soaked, as a result we're spending the winter feeding horrible wet silage by hand to cows infront of the barrier, far nicer job if its dryer. other reasons are i can do smaller more akward fields that contractors aren't interested in, instead of flogging the same larger fields every year. it gets me a start for when i buy a proper baler in a couple of years, andsince i will be doing other work as a contractor myself i will be pretty unpopular so will need a brass neck to go asking someone else to bale for me.

Why will there be air in the bale? We made the finest of stuff with an RP12s. Enough plastic is the most important thing, I see lads baling silage with tractors that wouldn't be fit to pack a tight bale, 6 layers of plastic and they never have a problem.
The 6 layers is a good job alright.
Anytime I seen mold in a dry bale it was due to it having air in it.
The finest of stuff back then or by today's standards?
I'd be making a bale of hayledge as tight as possible.
Hay is a different story It isn't always fully fit

Welger RP 200 maybe, trouble some of them would be very, very, very tired now. you might find something genuine at a farm sale perhaps, probably be up around £3000 though !

The 6 layers is a good job alright.
Anytime I seen mold in a dry bale it was due to it having air in it.
The finest of stuff back then or by today's standards?
I'd be making a bale of hayledge as tight as possible.
Hay is a different story It isn't always fully fit

You lads probably see more bales than me, any mouldy bales I ever saw the mould was on the outside and had more to do with the wrapping than the baling. It was the finest of stuff because the cattle ate it all anyway, maybe modern cattle are more educated and have a more refined taste in silage, I don't know. I'd bale haylage tight alright, as tight as silage, I did the same with the 12s and they were tight bales too, you do your best with what you have. I don't get too hung up on the dark art of making perfect silage because 9 times out of ten the dark clouds will decide the way it's baled anyway.

You lads probably see more bales than me, any mouldy bales I ever saw the mould was on the outside and had more to do with the wrapping than the baling. It was the finest of stuff because the cattle ate it all anyway, maybe modern cattle are more educated and have a more refined taste in silage, I don't know. I'd bale haylage tight alright, as tight as silage, I did the same with the 12s and they were tight bales too, you do your best with what you have. I don't get too hung up on the dark art of making perfect silage because 9 times out of ten the dark clouds will decide the way it's baled anyway.

I'm sure you have seen a mountain of them compared to my little mound.
The wrapping is quare.
I used do alot of wrapping for another contractor when I first got going.
Was blamed for alot of bales rotting with mold.
The next year I was gone and the bales still had mold.
I'm only going on what a guy that makes alot of hayledge said the day he's own machine broke he told me if there not rock solid there will be mold.
This stuff was near hay.
No I don't get hung up on it either.
We have most of the tools now for working grass it's up to the farmer if there used or not.
Everyone has different ideas on how to do a job I suppose

Krone 125 or 130 are well within budget. Have wrapped for 2 neighbours for 10 years and they have a 125. They work it on a mf 275 and they make excellent bales. They wilt their grass well. An odd bearing in the slat rollers is all that they have ever had to put in. Its diy. A very simple and reliable baler!

I tink the vest baler to buy would be something your closest dealer is likely to have parts for.
Buying a baler that old there's a fairly big chance your going to need parts the day you have hay down.
I tink your remote enough so driving acrostic country while the clouds gather wouldn't be my idea of fun

New Holland BR560A would be a very simple but solid baler.

Chain and slat system, same as that of the krone, will bale anything and bale tight, noisey when empty and not the highest output baler, about 40/hr. Very low power requirement too.

Cheap to buy, cheap to keep, easy to drive. Ideal farmer machine.

New Holland BR560A would be a very simple but solid baler.

Chain and slat system, same as that of the krone, will bale anything and bale tight, noisey when empty and not the highest output baler, about 40/hr. Very low power requirement too.

Cheap to buy, cheap to keep, easy to drive. Ideal farmer machine.
40 anchor would be good going anyway if you done that all day you'd have a good amount done.
I've put out over 90 in hay before but was under serous pressure.
I found with the mchale more so than the welger if you try pushing on for large amounts your more likely to block her and spend 10 min digging it out of the pickup.
40 an hour is a good comfortable pace

An other vote for the 46 rechained it when we got it ,aye the odd bearing hear and there a simple farmers machine its light enough 19"wheels on ours ,as long as your not looking for things like coffins it will be ok . If it,s at straw they can motor

why not a belt baler if you're contractor has been getting on well with them until now. surely fresher belt balers are available for that kind of money than roller balers?

Does anyone know much about the older vicon balers, always heard they put a vast amount more into the bales, ideal for a man's own use if they were any good.

Back