Classic Tractor this month

Ah Win, you are types ring the surprise now that we'd get on Friday....

Or in Arthur's case, three weeks time!

"Wanted , Woman, easy on the eye , easier on my ears. Good bank balance essential . Decent acreage of good land very welcome . Mechanical knowledge of MF tractors , Hesston SPFHs and Pottinger wagons desirable. "
Don't forget that she needs to be good with stock too

A few members must surely know some of the Fortshritt combines in the feature on them in this months Classic Tractor. @Danielk place of employment and a neighbour of @Peter

A few members must surely know some of the Fortshritt combines in the feature on them in this months Classic Tractor. @Danielk place of employment and a neighbour of @Peter

Yea was only reading it today. They kinda got it a bit wrong as the combine belongs to the bosses father and not so much the lucas contracting side. The bosses father who used to run the contracting bussiness drives it but he just does a few of his neighbours and ain't really run as part of the contracting Bussiness. Nice reading to read all about the older machines.

Good to see the older Fortschitts getting an article and all Leinster based.

I hadn't realised that there were only 3 524's in Ireland. If my memory serves me correctly, Pat Doyle in Enniscorthy (who is mentioned in the article on the 517!!!) had two at the one time in and around 1997.

Murphys had a new 524 at one stage and I seem to remember frank jenkinson bringing in a second hand one, where did th third come for ?

Cheap machines for the job, great to see.

When traynors were at them originally in finglas I think they may have had a 516, not certain on that. Anyone confirm !

Any forage harvesters still working ?

When traynors were at them originally in finglas I think they may have had a 516, not certain on that. Anyone confirm !

Any forage harvesters still working ?
Fortschitt foragers, only ever saw one SP and the man that had it gave up silage harvesting, there was another that was used as a power unit for a reverse drive Pottinger Mex 5, it did a fair bit of work despite being a horrible thing to drive ( it was known as the Pot O Shit) and the man that had that went out of business. Could you get parts for one now, I doubt it.

Fortschitt foragers, only ever saw one SP and the man that had it gave up silage harvesting, there was another that was used as a power unit for a reverse drive Pottinger Mex 5, it did a fair bit of work despite being a horrible thing to drive ( it was known as the Pot O Shit) and the man that had that went out of business. Could you get parts for one now, I doubt it.

A contractor in South Wexford had one of those silage harvesters up to about a year or two ago. It was advertised on Donedeal at the time. They looked similar to a Mengele as far as I remember.

Welcome along @df1

The late Liam Nolan , who lived beside Neville Stanley's yard , ran a Fortscritt SP in the late 80s or possibly early 90s. He died a young man , 20 odd years ago and was retired from contracting for some time.
I know nothing of its performance or reliability. I used used to see it cutting a field belonging to a neighbour of his own , left to him by an uncle , less than a mile from here , which I now have rented.
A JF 900 would run rings around a lot of those earlier SP harvesters.

The late Liam Nolan , who lived beside Neville Stanley's yard , ran a Fortscritt SP in the late 80s or possibly early 90s. He died a young man , 20 odd years ago and was retired from contracting for some time.
I know nothing of its performance or reliability. I used used to see it cutting a field belonging to a neighbour of his own , left to him by an uncle , less than a mile from here , which I now have rented.
A JF 900 would run rings around a lot of those earlier SP harvesters.
Did Stanley down the road at coolfin cross not buy one maybe 10 ago and worked it before he set the land ? I think a man that used to work with Bailey also had or used to have one until very recently, maybe it was the same machine

Did Stanley down the road at coolfin cross not buy one maybe 10 ago and worked it before he set the land ? I think a man that used to work with Bailey also had or used to have one until very recently, maybe it was the same machine

It was a SP silage harvester we were talking about. At least I was. Think Arthur was too.
You hardly remember Liam working?

Har did have a Fortshritt combine. I think it was on Done Deal in 2016. I dont know about the other man ?

It was a SP silage harvester we were talking about. At least I was. Think Arthur was too.
You hardly remember Liam working?

Har did have a Fortshritt combine. I think it was on Done Deal in 2016. I dont know about the other man ?
Sorry my bad didn’t read all the posts ...

Good to see the older Fortschitts getting an article and all Leinster based.

I hadn't realised that there were only 3 524's in Ireland. If my memory serves me correctly, Pat Doyle in Enniscorthy (who is mentioned in the article on the 517!!!) had two at the one time in and around 1997.
The man that use to cut the corn here runs Fortschritt combines for about 40 years now, still cuts his own with 2 E514's, he had a couple of 512's before the 514.
He brought in a 524 in Bonhill colours and ran it for a few years but got a lot of electrical trouble with it, probably mice related it was before people knew to try keep the f**kers out.

Just to keep abreast of forum etiquette are we now allowed to talk about the new Heritage Tractor as it is a sister magazine to Classic Tractor but not Profi (UK) because they have recently joined tho opposition in the form of T***** & F****** H******* and T****** & M********?

:whistle:

Just to keep abreast of forum etiquette are we now allowed to talk about the new Heritage Tractor as it is a sister magazine to Classic Tractor but not Profi (UK) because they have recently joined tho opposition in the form of T***** & F****** H******* and T****** & M********?

:whistle:

Pretty much all of them are discussed on here anyway!

Pretty much all of them are discussed on here anyway!

Perhaps we should have a 'Other Media' thread in the Talking Point section as it's not just the vintage mags but papers like the Examiner or Independent often pick up on stories that we don't always see elsewhere, and then there are the UK mags like Farmers Guardian and FW plus all the online channels that pop up every time you change your socks.

Perhaps we should have a 'Other Media' thread in the Talking Point section as it's not just the vintage mags but papers like the Examiner or Independent often pick up on stories that we don't always see elsewhere, and then there are the UK mags like Farmers Guardian and FW plus all the online channels that pop up every time you change your socks.
Some great articles in talking point

There's nothing to stop any member on here starting a thread about any publication to discuss it. Several have already :Thumbp2:

Back