cleaning plough boards

can anyone tell me the best way to clean up the boards on a ransome ts 80 i have a small grinder and flap discs will this be rough and maybe damage the boards? i have been told to take it into sand and plough until its shiny is this a better idea

Don't use the flap discs. They'll mark the boards and destroy them. I'd give them a good going over with a wire brush in the angle grinder and then plough sandy ground if you have it or get that sandpaper that you can wet and polish up the boards with it. Ley ground is the best to really polish up boards.

can anyone tell me the best way to clean up the boards on a ransome ts 80 i have a small grinder and flap discs will this be rough and maybe damage the boards? i have been told to take it into sand and plough until its shiny is this a better idea

We r miles from the beach, fortunatly not too far from a local area called "petherton sand" a broad swath of ag land that is sandy as, can usually " find a piece of ground belonging to a friend if we need to shine summat up, better to let nature take the crap off than summat electrical,, better still to slap the grease on before you park it in the hedge,, prevention n cure an all that,,( I appreciate you may not have let on get on this state,,,!!)

We r miles from the beach, fortunatly not too far from a local area called "petherton sand" a broad swath of ag land that is sandy as, can usually " find a piece of ground belonging to a friend if we need to shine summat up, better to let nature take the crap off than summat electrical,, better still to slap the grease on before you park it in the hedge,, prevention n cure an all that,,( I appreciate you may not have let on get on this state,,,!!)
Waxoyl is better vern and cheaper :Thumbp2:

Is it cheaper than a big tub of GP grease, we use a "lot" on the spud gear n such ??
Well I can cover my 4furrow reversible plough with 2 brushed coats of waxoyl(Well the Morris equivalent)with about 350 to 400ml a time
So 6 to 7 coats of the plough from 5 litres
Last time I bought a 5l tin it was around the £20
I reckon it would cost me 2 tubes of grease to cover the same so £4 to 5 in grease

Used to get sent to clean the boards on the Ferguson plough with a bit of sandstone and a pail of water always had to work in the same direction as the soil ,:sweat: its very seldom they get hooked of now without a scoot of some preservative .:laugh:

Last edited:
To protect boards short term between winter and spring ploughing I'd paint some chain oil onto shiny parts, for longer term I have a bucket of old grease that mightn't be suitable for bearings and didn't cost anything. I'd mix some grease and oil together to help spreadability and paint this slop on, this lasts fine. Pitted boards are a nightmare, surface rust is just a pain. There's no sandy ground locally to polish boards but as always prevention is better than cure. Can't understand seeing loads of used ploughs at dealerships with rusted boards, maybe they arrived that way but still I'd apply something to them to stall rust if not just to take the raw look off them.

ok have a beach near me that i can use its been lying a long time time so will take a bit of work hopefully its not pitted to bad, also have a orbital sander and wet and dry discs may try them on it after the wire brush

This summer was a great year for cleaning new boards. I often had lots of trouble getting boards clean around here but had a few new ones this year and as the ground was so dry they were clean in a few runs and no dragging

Last edited:
Back