clearance when making a panel to fit glass

aidank

as per title, my neighbour is making a door frame at the minute, its being cut from 2mm plate I think he said.

There is a sheet of glass being fitted in it.

So the question is if the glass is 100mm X 100m what size should the hole be cut, is it 105x105 or even 110 x 110

The rubber type is H type rubber http://gb.sparex.com/h-type-glazing-rubber-10174.html

any ideas ?

Has he bought the rubber, if so I'd be measuring the rubber section between the frame and glass and allowing an extra mm. each side, if the section is 7mm add 8mm each side so 116.

Has he bought the rubber, if so I'd be measuring the rubber section between the frame and glass and allowing an extra mm. each side, if the section is 7mm add 8mm each side so 116.

rubber not in stock yet, having no experience with putting glass in windows, is 1mm enough ?

I think it should be, when you put in the bead on one side you will have 2mm. to play with on the opposite side iykwim. I have seen lads from Windscreen replacement company put in glass and while they are at it there would appear to be no free play for example 3000 series MF with tapered frame literally bending the glass to get it in place.

I don't think glasscutting is suitable for amateurs, it's very difficult to break it correctly, especially on a curve.

anyone know a glass company that I could ask about the correct clearance ?

measure twice cut once and all that

I know when I was getting the glass cut for the Ursus, they told me to make a template that was exactly the same size as the hole. I left them in the rubber (s type) and they said they'd cut it 8mm smaller than the template. Probably no help to you whatsoever though in answering the question

as per title, my neighbour is making a door frame at the minute, its being cut from 2mm plate I think he said.

There is a sheet of glass being fitted in it.

So the question is if the glass is 100mm X 100m what size should the hole be cut, is it 105x105 or even 110 x 110

The rubber type is H type rubber http://gb.sparex.com/h-type-glazing-rubber-10174.html

any ideas ?
Your best bet there is make the frame and leave it and the rubber into someone who does glass. Some of the windscreen lads will also cut and fit glass into once off jobs. Just make sure they use toughened glass. No one wants a thousand spears coming at them when ordinary glass shatters.

Perspex may be better for a door if it is going to be banging
you could always use bolts at the corners and silicone to seal it , if you want to fit it in the rubber a skinny disc in the angle grinder works fine to cut it , you can try it then shave a little bit more of as needed
I done that with the jcb roof glass and it works a treat
just get the stuff that doesn't cloud and discolour
If you get glass cut laminated may be best

Perspex may be better for a door if it is going to be banging
you could always use bolts at the corners and silicone to seal it , if you want to fit it in the rubber a skinny disc in the angle grinder works fine to cut it , you can try it then shave a little bit more of as needed
I done that with the jcb roof glass and it works a treat
just get the stuff that doesn't cloud and discolour
If you get glass cut laminated may be best
Perspex won't stay in the rubber with a heavy wind out. I put a perspex windscreen in a super q cab, when it hit the ground it broke up.

Perspex won't stay in the rubber with a heavy wind out. I put a perspex windscreen in a super q cab, when it hit the ground it broke up.
there is cheap Perspex and good Perspex
I keep a sheet so I can do a quick temporary window substitute if needed , the baling tractor is the usual candidate and years ago had a Maxxum that had a permenat Perspex as got fed up replacing the glass
the 6 mm stuff is strong enough for most glazing jobs and certainly wont flex in the wind at tractor window size but you can get any thickness you want to fit the rubber . A lot of hedge cutters use Perspex as a protecting sheet for the glass
the best bit is you can shape it yourself with the grinder

Last edited by a moderator:
perspex has many problems as a glass replacement. its prone to flexing, it discolors quickly etc. A better product is polypropelex. it comes in a 6 x 4 sheet and is 4mm thick. It doesnt discolour. has a hard flex and is near bulletproof . and its cheap.

Back