Combines

Maybe it's me or the lighting but it looks quite faded?
Doesn't look like the cleanest of combines but hard to tell from the pics really. I'd imagine there are plenty of hours on it but the money makes it attractive

You know how you can buy an older Hitachi without the electronics for your own use. Its cheap and cheerful and old and off course things can go wrong with it and they do. Question is can you buy a combine like that to do a few acres for yourself and one that wont break the bank and you can still get parts for? I have no knowledge of combines, not ever been in a field with one but just interested in knowing more about them.

Wouldn't mind a nice clean low houred deutz fahr 4068 top liner myself.. Lovely machine to hear working., all I need then is a nice fendt to run beside it!!!

You know how you can buy an older Hitachi without the electronics for your own use. Its cheap and cheerful and old and off course things can go wrong with it and they do. Question is can you buy a combine like that to do a few acres for yourself and one that wont break the bank and you can still get parts for? I have no knowledge of combines, not ever been in a field with one but just interested in knowing more about them.
Indeed you can, any God's amount of them, there's a world of 25-30 year old combines for sale for reasonably handy money that would be perfectly capable of cutting 100 acres a year at their ease.

Indeed you can, any God's amount of them, there's a world of 25-30 year old combines for sale for reasonably handy money that would be perfectly capable of cutting 100 acres a year at their ease.

And even more than that there are plenty of NH 1500, JD 900, Fahr 1x02, Claas Senator and Dominators out there covering that benchmark and all for less than 8k and all much closer to 40 years old.

When you refer to straw walkers what exactly does it mean, what is an axial flow machine and why do combines cut the straw so high up? Straw is a valuable commodity in the west of Ireland and its amazing to see so much of it left uncut. Fear of hitting stones?

And even more than that there are plenty of NH 1500, JD 900, Fahr 1x02, Claas Senator and Dominators out there covering that benchmark and all for less than 8k and all much closer to 40 years old.
And for us poorer midlander farmers you can get a combine for a lot less then 8k :wink:

When you refer to straw walkers what exactly does it mean, what is an axial flow machine and why do combines cut the straw so high up? Straw is a valuable commodity in the west of Ireland and its amazing to see so much of it left uncut. Fear of hitting stones?

That video above probably answers a lot of your queries Galcam.

On the straw front, stones to a degree and also the width of the header, it doesn't float to the same degree as say like a mower.

Also straw might be dear in the west but a huge amount of that charge goes on haulage.

A combine harvester isn't under as much pressure as a silage harvester as the crops are cut dryer and lighter than silage and theses no corrosive lactic acid going through the combine to rot it out. Like anything stuff that can go wrong will go wrong but it's normally stuff like a belt or a bearing not like a silage harvester when it's self destructs when it picks up a stone.
On the parts side Bernard and Andy Byrne run two combine breakers yards in wexford and supply affordable used spare parts and have a immense amount of knowledge on combines between them.
Once you keep them well greased and aren't afraid of a bit of spanner work now and again a old combine will do a lot of cutting.

7bxmQw8.jpg

Met an old gleaner? combine. The forager man said it had been sitting in a shed for a fair few years, he looked fairly surprised when he saw some fella taking off up the road on a Friday evening with it!

A combine has a lot more moving parts that a forage harvester I'd imagine.
I suppose a combine has a fairly consistent load on it all day?
A forager doesn't I would say

A combine has a lot more moving parts that a forage harvester I'd imagine.
I suppose a combine has a fairly consistent load on it all day?
A forager doesn't I would say

Back