Compaction and earthworms

The land here is full of worms. Any disturbance at all sees tonnes of them come up.

The farm regularly gets urea but less often slurry (that'll change this year). But because I'm using a trailing shoe and going fairly light the worms will have plenty of place to come up for air

Ploughs are obviously rare on my grassland but getting rarer, only place for them is dealing with bad compaction or breaking a pan.
And I'm careful to avoid poaching but sometimes its unavoidable, you'd definitely see the difference

Most of the research shows that min till is a little better on worm populations but much better on OM and soil carbon, so on top of ploughing being also a waste of diesel...but some lads dont like change and never will

I'd say cover crops will be a big help for the shagged out tillage soils

Ripped this from an uncomfortable research paper that makes me want to turn organic. Oops that's what it was meant to do!
Source below:
Effects of some synthetic fertilizers on the soil ecosystem By: Heide Hermary, March 2007
Potassium Chloride / Muriate of Potash KCl 0-0-60 1. This product contains about 50% potassium and 50% chloride. In the soil the chloride combines with nitrates to form chlorine gas. This kills microbes. Applying 1 pound of potassium chloride to the soil is equivalent to applying 1 gallon of Clorox bleach. Or in other words: 2 ppm chlorine are generally thought to be sufficient to sterilize drinking water – potassium chloride application typically results in chloride levels as high as 50-200 ppm (15,20). 2. Potassium chloride contains very high amounts of potassium, which can result in an unbalanced phosphate : potash ratio. This ratio ideally ranges from 2:1 (most soils) to 4:1 (grasses) (15). 3. Excess potassium in the soil can lead to a calcium deficiency in plants, since plants absorb calcium, magnesium and potassium largely in the ratio in which they are present in the soil. 4. In the soil excess potassium causes a loss of structure (15). Reduced soil air levels result in reduced root respiration and the production of toxic compounds in plants. Reduced soil air and insufficient calcium each also result in the reduction of soil microbes and the corresponding reduced breakdown of organic matter / nutrient availability to plants 5. In drilling potassium is used to “close” the soil, because it disintegrates the clay particles (“ages” the clay) and effectively seals the soil (21).

Ripped this from an uncomfortable research paper that makes me want to turn organic. Oops that's what it was meant to do!
Source below:
Effects of some synthetic fertilizers on the soil ecosystem By: Heide Hermary, March 2007
Potassium Chloride / Muriate of Potash KCl 0-0-60 1. This product contains about 50% potassium and 50% chloride. In the soil the chloride combines with nitrates to form chlorine gas. This kills microbes. Applying 1 pound of potassium chloride to the soil is equivalent to applying 1 gallon of Clorox bleach. Or in other words: 2 ppm chlorine are generally thought to be sufficient to sterilize drinking water – potassium chloride application typically results in chloride levels as high as 50-200 ppm (15,20). 2. Potassium chloride contains very high amounts of potassium, which can result in an unbalanced phosphate : potash ratio. This ratio ideally ranges from 2:1 (most soils) to 4:1 (grasses) (15). 3. Excess potassium in the soil can lead to a calcium deficiency in plants, since plants absorb calcium, magnesium and potassium largely in the ratio in which they are present in the soil. 4. In the soil excess potassium causes a loss of structure (15). Reduced soil air levels result in reduced root respiration and the production of toxic compounds in plants. Reduced soil air and insufficient calcium each also result in the reduction of soil microbes and the corresponding reduced breakdown of organic matter / nutrient availability to plants 5. In drilling potassium is used to “close” the soil, because it disintegrates the clay particles (“ages” the clay) and effectively seals the soil (21).

Interesting but in all honesty - who really knows. There are many different views in soil science. Albrecht etc etc.
Truth is that soil is so complex that nobody knows it all. Ive also read that Muriate of Potash is harmless. So many agendas out there......

We need to learn what we can but its frightening the amount of land that hasnt even been treated properly in terms of liming and getting P & K indices right.

Source below:
Went looking to see if I could find the paper you got that from....eh its from an Organic website and an Organic company funded "Institution"...so make you turn Organic is exactly what its 'ahem' paid to do

I wouldnt be worrying myself too much, its not actually scientifically research published in a peer reviewed journal

Agree. The teagasc stats from soil testing make for some ugly reading. I think the expedient science behind the nitrates directive drove lads mad with worry about nutrition and the usage stats bear this out. Prof. Sheedy had this right, if ag were to blame for eutrophication in waterways, the further up tributaries you went, the more polluted they would become. Yards, practices and awareness have improved on the back of some of the grant aid, but the elephant in the room there is municipal waste IMO. It kind of politicised teagasc too which I found odd at the time.

Incidentally TKMF, I wouldn't have graded that paper on objectivity grounds, seems the first sentence may be accurate:rolleyes2:

Incidentally TKMF, I wouldn't have graded that paper on objectivity grounds, seems the first sentence may be accurate:rolleyes2:
Not quite following you there?
Agree. The teagasc stats from soil testing make for some ugly reading. I think the expedient science behind the nitrates directive drove lads mad with worry about nutrition and the usage stats bear this out. Prof. Sheedy had this right, if ag were to blame for eutrophication in waterways, the further up tributaries you went, the more polluted they would become. Yards, practices and awareness have improved on the back of some of the grant aid, but the elephant in the room there is municipal waste IMO. It kind of politicised teagasc too which I found odd at the time.
I dunno ag definitely was a contributor (and still is in some places). Theres a good few places where eutrophication cant be explained by municipal

Now that said we've cleaned up our act but the same cant be said for a lot of councils which is really good justification to be pissed off

Q. Where did our earthworms come from?

A. Experts believe most native species were wiped out wherever glaciers covered the land. Most earthworms we see today were imported mainly from Europe by early settlers. The worms or worm cocoons traveled in the rootstocks of plants brought by the settlers from their homelands. Europeans added soil, with its earthworms or worm cocoons, to ships for ballast. Once anchored in North American harbors, ships released their ballast -and living worms, who found new homes.

Q. What do earthworms eat?

A. Earthworms eat dirt! Their nutrition comes from things in soil, such as decaying roots and leaves. Animal manures are an important food source for earthworms. They eat living organisms such as nematodes, protozoans, rotifers, bacteria, fungi in soil. Worms will also feed on the decomposing remains of other animals.

Q. How do worms eat?

A. They don't have teeth but they have strong mouth muscles. Dew worms or nightcrawlers often surface at night to pull fallen leaves down into their burrow. When the leaf softens a little they pull off small bits to munch on. Worms also "swallow" soil as they burrow.

Q. How much do earthworms eat in one day?

A. They can consume up to one third of their own body weight in a day.

Q. Why do earthworms stay underground and seldom come out of the soil?

A. Darkness lets them avoid being dried out by the sun. If their skin dries out, they can no longer breathe. Light paralyzes them if they're in it more than an hour. Then they can't move back to the safety of the soil.

Q. Why do worms come onto driveways and sidewalks when it rains?

A. Dr. Dennis Linden, Cindy Hale, and other worm experts say that worms do NOT surface to avoid drowning. In fact, they come to the surface during rains (especially in the spring) so they can move overland. The temporarily wet conditions give worms a chance to move safely to new places. Since worms breathe through their skin, the skin must stay wet in order for the oxygen to pass through it. After rain or during high humidity are safe times for worms to move around without dehydrating. It is true that, without oxygen, worms will suffocate. But earthworms can survive for several weeks under water, providing there is sufficient oxygen in the water to support them.

Q. Do earthworms come to the surface after heavy rains to avoid drowning?

A. Not exactly. Earthworms can survive for several weeks under water providing there is sufficient oxygen in the water to support them. They surface as a response to high relative humidity after rain because they can move around safely without drying out.

Q. How can I tell if there are earthworms in the soil?

A. When trying to find evidence of earthworms, look at the soil surface first. Earthworms often leave small piles or pellets of soil on the surface. Dig a spadeful of soil and sort through it for earthworms. Experience will also allow you to find cocoons. While you are digging, always watch for evidence of large burrows with "slickened" sidewalls. These may indicate the presence of nightcrawlers.

Q. Why do robins tug at earthworms in the soil?

A. Worms use the many tiny bristles or setae on each of their body rings to help them crawl as well as to anchor themselves firmly in their burrows. The robin has to tug because the worm is gripping the soil!

Q. Can earthworms survive freezing?

A. If frozen, they will die. Earthworms fall into the category of freeze-avoiding invertebrates. Some adults survive freezing temperatures by going below the frost line in winter to "sleep." Earthworm cocoons, however, are much more tolerant to freezing and worm eggs within a cocoon survive deep in the soil over winter to hatch in the spring when conditions are right.

Q. When are worms most active?

A. In the fall and spring. Cool temperatures of 50, 60, 70 degrees F and moist conditions are best for earthworms. Earthworms aren't active when it's cold or dry.

Q. What do earthworms do when it gets too cold, too hot, or too dry?

A. Earthworms escape by either burrowing deeply into the soil (up to about 6 feet or 2 meters), or entering a reduced metabolic state known as estivation. Estivation is a form of hibernation that takes place when temperatures get too hot or too dry for earthworms. When conditions are favorable, the worms will emerge and resume normal activities.

Q. What happens during estivation?

A. Each worm curls up into a tight ball deep in the soil and slows down its metabolism and bodily functions to survive high heat and drought.

Q. What are some earthworm enemies?

A. Snakes, birds, moles, toads and even foxes are known to eat earthworms. Beetles, centipedes, leeches, slugs and flatworms also feed on earthworms. Some types of mites parasitize earthworm cocoons or the worms themselves

Sure TKMF There will always be cowboys and some catchments are more delicate than others, farm enterprise mix in any particular area will have an impact, but maybe more accurately, I don't think it's the principal driving factor anymore.

When I was tilling the Winter wheat stubble I noticed worms curled up in dry soil .

A. Each worm curls up into a tight ball deep in the soil and slows down its metabolism and bodily functions to survive high heat and drought.

When I was tilling the Winter wheat stubble I noticed worms curled up in dry soil .

Grower here beside the pig farm wouldn't let a drop be spread on his land said he had it spread years ago and where it was applied heavy all the worms came to the surface and died.i see the same in fields where we cut silage for farmers getting wetter and crops getting poorer every year

Sorry for backtracking lads, on John's point above, wouldn't the impact that pig slurry has in general also depend on what the overall indices are for that particular block?

As I understand it, the number of worms should be correlated to the amount of organic matter in the soil too.

Or maybe my biology is letting me down :scratchhead::blushing:

Sorry for backtracking lads, on John's point above, wouldn't the impact that pig slurry has in general also depend on what the overall indices are for that particular block?

As I understand it, the number of worms should be correlated to the amount of organic matter in the soil too.

Or maybe my biology is letting me down :scratchhead::blushing:
Nope makes sense, OM is basically worm food.

I dunno that the slurry type has any impact but you see it on heavy spreading on wet or cold soils in spring. Thats a product of too little storage and bad management (I'm as guilty as anyone)

Nashmach. I use omex 7:20:0 or breenflex 7:8:1. Note the omex is P2O5 not elemental P so both are about the same.
The compost provides K but is low on P so I use the liquid fert to make up the balance of P.

Ugo. I went down this route to improve the soil and to cut costs.
Starting out I had fields at Ph of 6. Now they are about 7 with no Lime applied. I don't use slug pellets either.
My yields are the same ( maybe better) as standard drilled crops but Ive a good rotation where I grow beans w wheat w barley s barley and maize

However Compost is limited as it requires a lot of work to get over the acres in the autumn.

Nashmach. I use omex 7:20:0 or breenflex 7:8:1. Note the omex is P2O5 not elemental P so both are about the same.
The compost provides K but is low on P so I use the liquid fert to make up the balance of P.

Ugo. I went down this route to improve the soil and to cut costs.
Starting out I had fields at Ph of 6. Now they are about 7 with no Lime applied. I don't use slug pellets either.
My yields are the same ( maybe better) as standard drilled crops but Ive a good rotation where I grow beans w wheat w barley s barley and maize

However Compost is limited as it requires a lot of work to get over the acres in the autumn.
Thanks Tony!
Great to see a man ahead of the curve.
Have you been through many drills or always used.... Pardon my metal ignorance is that a sumo dts?
Any observations on drills?
Do you rake stubble? If I'm annoying tell me to feck off!

I'm not sure if the drill really matters. The sumo DTS has good sowing dept control so that suits me.

Really it's about the soil indices, Ph, rotation and organic matter content.
That in turn will determine worm activity and hence compaction, yield, traffic-ability

Came upon this thread, what are people's opinions now a few years on?

Are cover crops essential and are they working?

This is an interesting topic. The sea gulls have definitely disappeared after the plough compared to when I was a lad.
In a world abundant with slurry, I wonder how hard it would be to convert slurry to FYM once the rotting process has started.

Back