Cork’s Pics

River cruise my eye, you were over picking up the latest accessory for your one!

We will see it floating up the Shannon next month with straw bales on board at 30 euro a bale.

The whole enterprise funded by TAMS, can't be up to you Cork lads....

River cruise my eye, you were over picking up the latest accessory for your one!

We will see it floating up the Shannon next month with straw bales on board at 30 euro a bale.

The whole enterprise funded by TAMS, can't be up to you Cork lads....

€30.....? In fairness, how am I supposed to support the lifestyle I’ve become accustomed to at €30 a bale....

I’ll need to get a back load from Foynes to cover the staff charges alone.

Jesus, some people must think I’m a charity.

I always remember this little hand made picture hanging in the house when I was young.

My mum was fixing it up today to give it to my sister as she’s just starting her family.

My grandfather was stationed in the Belgian Congo. As soldiers, they were billeted in the former homes of a Belgian people who had fled when the country got its independence. This was left behind in one of the houses and my grandfather brought it home to my mum who was a child at the time.

I wonder where the Belgian people are now.

964DC123-B8FC-4805-A614-53E3AC666EFB.jpeg 4F0DFE6C-F19A-4972-99A6-ABB1076359CA.jpeg

I always remember this little hand made picture hanging in the house when I was young.

My mum was fixing it up today to give it to my sister as she’s just starting her family.

My grandfather was stationed in the Belgian Congo. As soldiers, they were billeted in the former homes of a Belgian people who had fled when the country got its independence. This was left behind in one of the houses and my grandfather brought it home to my mum who was a child at the time.

I wonder where the Belgian people are now.

View attachment 74204 View attachment 74205
That’s very interesting, I’ve seen that style of picture before in my grand aunts house in Ciney, Belgium. My grandmother on my mothers side was from Belgium and married my grandfather before WW2. I was last in Ciney for the funeral of my grand aunt, the graveyard is on the side of a steep hill and when we arrived there my mother noticed that the family headstone was in the wrong place. Upon questioning the locals, during a big flood recently there was a landslide through the graveyard and most of the headstones got washed to the bottom. Upon restoring the graveyard, somehow the map plans couldn’t be found and the council workers refitted the headstones randomly around the graveyard not knowing where they belonged. The correct grave couldn’t be located and my grand aunt had to go into cold storage until the maps were found. The family name is Laurent.

That’s very interesting, I’ve seen that style of picture before in my grand aunts house in Ciney, Belgium. My grandmother on my mothers side was from Belgium and married my grandfather before WW2. I was last in Ciney for the funeral of my grand aunt, the graveyard is on the side of a steep hill and when we arrived there my mother noticed that the family headstone was in the wrong place. Upon questioning the locals, during a big flood recently there was a landslide through the graveyard and most of the headstones got washed to the bottom. Upon restoring the graveyard, somehow the map plans couldn’t be found and the council workers refitted the headstones randomly around the graveyard not knowing where they belonged. The correct grave couldn’t be located and my grand aunt had to go into cold storage until the maps were found. The family name is Laurent.

Very interesting indeed!

It must be Belgian traditional style of picture.

My grandfather made a lifelong friend out there at the time, he was a Belgian priest. He visited Ireland for years and years after. There’s a picture of the priest somewhere. He’s pictured on a motorcycle in the Congo looking like something out of Lawrence of Arabia.

I’ll find the picture and his name.

This was Fr. Jan Defour. From Ostend I believe. He became great friends with my Grandfather when they were in the Congo.

28DE27ED-0C2A-49BF-A97F-7A58ECDCAA64.png

of al the people i,ve met on my travels in europe the belgians would be my favourites , very helpful and friendly in my experience and quite like the irish in many ways

that’s probably why he fell in love with Ireland. Two small countries.

of al the people i,ve met on my travels in europe the belgians would be my favourites , very helpful and friendly in my experience and quite like the irish in many ways
The last people you would want to colonize your country was the Belgium,s . They kept people as slaves (Roger Casement) .
The robbed every country they were in right up until they left.

The last people you would want to colonize your country was the Belgium,s . They kept people as slaves (Roger Casement) .
The robbed every country they were in right up until they left.
ah christ bogman i didn,t invite them over or anything you,re safe enough. as for roger he,s famous for a different reason altogether

My Grandfather from my mums side with a well known Cork man who got a tunnel named after him

View attachment 74216
This was Fr. Jan Defour. From Ostend I believe. He became great friends with my Grandfather when they were in the Congo.

View attachment 74215
Has your family any contact today with any of the Belgians? I’m sorry I didn’t keep up contact with those that I met during the few visits I had. They spoke mostly Flemish but one of my mothers cousins is an archeologist and has excellent English. He was working in Bolivia on the Inca trail the last time I spoke to him. The last time they all visited here was 1984 and we went to JF Kennedy park, that was their highlight of Ireland in the 80s.

Back