Cover Crops 3.0

The use of a front roller with blades seems to commonly used on the continent to chop up cover crops, anyone using one here?

The summer cover is well up and seems to be growing in the chopped straw . The plan is to sow oats on the 20 th October and head for Kellys.
D655336F-4F1E-4EA6-B3EE-71FBFED7CAC8.jpeg FE4F144A-6819-4BC8-A524-78489C1B55AB.jpeg
Dennis Doyle put new Software in the sower which gives it more grunt at low speeds. It also allows you to go back to a setting . The important figure here is 67% which will be the setting for that batch of seed . We did a 20 minute fallow today and it would have been a 10 minute fallow but I spent 10 minutes looking at myself in the mirror because it is so cool to leave such a short gap between two crops.
3995FB74-297A-476C-B8BB-08076334F265.jpeg

The summer cover is well up and seems to be growing in the chopped straw . The plan is to sow oats on the 20 th October and head for Kellys.
View attachment 69119 View attachment 69120
Dennis Doyle put new Software in the sower which gives it more grunt at low speeds. It also allows you to go back to a setting . The important figure here is 67% which will be the setting for that batch of seed . We did a 20 minute fallow today and it would have been a 10 minute fallow but I spent 10 minutes looking at myself in the mirror because it is so cool to leave such a short gap between two crops.
View attachment 69121
I taught it wasn’t work a shite unless the chopper was blowing straw so hard at the tractor you had to have the wiper on and you keep indicating to pass out the combine. 5 second fallow those people with a great social media presence call it I think

I’m not the worlds biggest fan of cover crops but the soil erosion issue via run off is probably their biggest benefit in my own opinion.

https://www.niab.com/blog
I use CC as extra grazing for sheep,i would have 27 acre of bare ground over the winter which would really annoy me and also drown any soil biology
Between the sheep shitting over the field and the cc regrowth I am seeing soils getting better

I’m not the worlds biggest fan of cover crops but the soil erosion issue via run off is probably their biggest benefit in my own opinion.

https://www.niab.com/blog
If you’re managing your soil correctly erosion shouldn’t be an issue in the first place.

I can imagine you waking into a titty bar and admiring the carpentry

Thank god Ive recently started a night course on respecting other people opinions

View attachment 69119 View attachment 69120
View attachment 69121
Some job

I taught it wasn’t work a shite unless the chopper was blowing straw so hard at the tractor you had to have the wiper on and you keep indicating to pass out the combine. 5 second fallow those people with a great social media presence call it I think
*combines

How late is too late for cover crops, I have a field I wanted to sow one in but I've been waiting 2 weeks for a fella to clear the straw off of it

How late is too late for cover crops, I have a field I wanted to sow one in but I've been waiting 2 weeks for a fella to clear the straw off of it
I sowed a rape/kale hybrid on the 3rd or so of October last year.it established ok but didn't come to much until it had a dose of slurry in December, then it took off
The sheep had a late bite on it and it regrow enough by ploughing

Tillage radish, fodder rape will give better results from later sowing as long as you dont have rotation issues. Maybe oats would be worth considering too.

Spring barley, it was in winter wheat, all the wheaten straw is collected so I can't speed up the field being cleared much.
It’s extra work but if your going to direct drill it you could row the bales up on a tramline then drill around it and just tell the lads to stick to a tramline till they get to the bales, they’ll trample a bit but not a massive amount.
An old buckrake on the front links of a tractor wouldn’t be long shifting bales

We gained a week in sowing date by moving stacks of bales with the pallet fork. One field I went in with the cultivator and used the GPS to make parallel lines up the field that I stacked the bales on the lines so I was able to till and sow most of the field. We usually use the stone fork with tines removed but I hadn’t time to remove them
1E774140-854F-48B3-A2F3-659743CBBFF2.jpeg
It’s extra work but if your going to direct drill it you could row the bales up on a tramline then drill around it and just tell the lads to stick to a tramline till they get to the bales, they’ll trample a bit but not a massive amount.
An old buckrake on the front links of a tractor wouldn’t be long shifting bales

Dryland maize meant for the combine, but the price is in free fall and got a good offer to chop at €1280/ha in the pit.
Crimson clover at 12kg/ha and 40t/ha fym in the autumn. Direct drilled into the clover after a run of the disc. Dept. Ag expert estimate 11t/ha dry grain.
No artificial fert whatsoever and 22yrs continuous maize. Happy enough.

Attachments

• 0902B763-2E36-47E2-847A-6CE8F9CCC9E4.jpeg
    0902B763-2E36-47E2-847A-6CE8F9CCC9E4.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 45
Back