Cover Crops 3.0

It’s extra work but if your going to direct drill it you could row the bales up on a tramline then drill around it and just tell the lads to stick to a tramline till they get to the bales, they’ll trample a bit but not a massive amount.
An old buckrake on the front links of a tractor wouldn’t be long shifting bales
I saw @Bog Man had done that alright, if it was big squares I would have gathered them but 300 round bales was too much of an inconvenience, I'll just take it as a lesson for the next time and skip it for the year.

How are people finding the establishment of their cover crops this autumn? We planted ours (vetch & Phacelia ) on the 14th September.
I must have a walk around but I think there’s the square root of feck all there.
A bit late sowing but between removing straw, sowing oilseed rape etc we didn’t get around to them.

I am happy enough. We have sprayed off the short term covers after winter oats and spring Barley. The covers that are being over wintered were probably sown a bit thin after heavy yielding crops of winter wheat with straw removed. I would safely say there is no nitrogen left in the ground.

How are people finding the establishment of their cover crops this autumn? We planted ours (vetch & Phacelia ) on the 14th September.
I must have a walk around but I think there’s the square root of feck all there.
A bit late sowing but between removing straw, sowing oilseed rape etc we didn’t get around to them.
I don't have any cover crops but from what I see in the locality the emerged crops are nigh on invisible. There's more greenery in untouched stubble from what I can see. What it'll do over the next six weeks of growth remains to be seen, a waste of diesel comes to mind...

My cover crops are max 3” high so far, sown late this year 7th Sept compared to 14th August last year. In both cases after SB. This time last year they were at least a foot high. I suppose every bit helps the OM.
Good thing is I am in GLAS so to spend one day sowing catch crop leaves me with €1,000 pay for the day (after seed cost)not bad I think to cover diesel and wear and tear.

Vetch and phacelia wasnt rolled and was well thinned by slugs here went in in early August. Very slow to get going but has improved in the last few weeks. Rape and Phacelia got fert as will be grazed that was rolled and has flown from day one. All after WB I would say not a whole bundle of residual N after a bulky crop and needed to develop root mass before it could get going.

Can't remember off the top of my head the date set but early September fodder rape rolled in slow to grow about 3 to 4 inches no where close to where I would want expect it.
Tried 5 ac of cover crop in the same field idea was as a lie back for the cattle when on the rape didn't roll it which in hind sight was a mistake starting to make a light cover now but only half the growth of the rape. Ground was only grubbed. Which probably wasn't the best but worked fine last year for the rape think I'll hire in the buddy next year he got a khun disc with a setter and packer, he got good even establishment with it plus it gives a better shift of soil and is more even after

Phacelia & vetch for GLAS, sown 14th September.

Phacelia making an effort, vetch hardly bothered. A bit of a non event.

This talk of obligatory cover crops on land before spring cereals doesn’t put a smile on my face. Granted brassicas would be more vigorous but not much good if you have OSR in your rotation.

505E30C2-A992-4D6D-A2FF-FC6CEAA3DF1B.jpeg

This talk of obligatory cover crops on land before spring cereals doesn’t put a smile on my face. Granted brassicas would be more vigorous but not much good if you have OSR in your rotation.

View attachment 72002
I had noticed that there aren’t too many postings pics of their cover crops this year compared to last year. The year just didn’t suit them.

View attachment 72002
They need to go in after winter barley or before the 15th of August really. I have some after winter barley planted mid August and they are ok and some after spring barley planted the 5th September, they are pretty shite and will only really end up costing money rather than actually being of any benefit.

View attachment 72002
Did you have a dig and see what it was like underground? Then have a dig in a missed bit. See has it kept soil open?

C52B95D8-3979-4195-924E-F7A356BBD228.jpeg
nodules on peas are pink so fixing N
D5CAF7A2-B648-401E-B8D9-3EB7C73930B9.jpeg
Balansa clover while small above ground has a savage root structure
C13548C5-5E2F-465E-BF7F-97EEE8C308FF.jpeg
Roots getting well down and soil drier than I thought considering
64EE8D1C-ABF7-431B-B8BB-FD1D44D29331.jpeg
Balansa clover roots
1948569E-34BC-482A-9859-2EF401AFA12B.jpeg
From left Balansa clover , linseed, phacelia and on right buckwheat
0C13F1B7-3471-4CB9-A2AB-AAE19C6E2A64.jpeg
Cover crop after SB
26F35EC8-D538-44AE-AD05-4622127E8F5F.jpeg
Balansa clover above ground
Field is continuous spring barley and has been cover cropped for 12 years
Typically sowed late March and cut mid to late August. Cover cropped 7 months of year

Last edited:
My cc are there ...just...
Lack of N I'm blaming as I dosed 1 field with watery slurry to empty the lagoon and its greener a lot since

This year there is a big difference between a cover crop after winter wheat and one after spring Barley put in at the same time. There seems to be very little N left after the winter wheat. .

That's the huge difference this year versus last. Last year most crops did not take up the N that was applied. This was then used by cover crops and 2019 crops.

There wouldn't have wanted to be a dependence on cover crops for feeding this year if there was a fodder shortage like last year either...

Back