Cover Crops 3.0

The lack of left over N is definitely holding back the growth in our cover crops.

Noticed this strip after the winter wheat trial plots. About 2ft wide it had no wheat in it all year so no crop to remove the applied N. The Phacelia is much greener and bulkier there.
Also less stubble there which would probably lock up some N temporarily while it breaks down.
The wet spring would have washed out a lot of N.

In ways, I’m glad to see a lack of left over N, it means that it wasn’t wasted.

View attachment 58864
In a couple of years you’ll be growing CC like @Louis mc walking around in them doing live videos with a selfie stick

Ye lads with all the nice fancy covers will have to put up pics every few weeks through the growing season of the following cereal crop to really portray their benefits to us. There ain’t much point in growing super cover crops if the following crops are not so super. I’m not being negative towards them but all the magic must turn into money.

Ye lads with all the nice fancy covers will have to put up pics every few weeks through the growing season of the following cereal crop to really portray their benefits to us. There ain’t much point in growing super cover crops if the following crops are not so super. I’m not being negative towards them but all the magic must turn into money.
Yes you are being negative

Do you fertilise that CC. Mine is nothing as strong as that and sown 14th Aug.
No, there has been continuous spring barley and cc in that field for 10 years
But that field did get 2 way magic lime
And cover crops grow like hell when they get lime

All I “have” to do is die and pay my taxes

You sound very negative

Sometimes with stuff like this if you have to have it explained to you then you’ll probably never understand it

Last edited:
My oats cover is going to seed should I be concerned ? Some phacelia I presume sneaked into my fodder rape and turnip mix. The august sown stuff is very strong really need to get it grazed I think

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    551.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG