cover crops

The late sown gorilla rape/kale is very variable, like it needed to be rolled after the sower or a run of the Karat before sowing. Not sure if some of it was sown too deep or what.
IMG_20180924_152014.jpg IMG_20180924_152022.jpg IMG_20180924_152036.jpg IMG_20180924_152042.jpg IMG_20180924_152045.jpg

We have a cover crop that was sowed in mist and rain one Saturday and was not rolled and it has done very well . The Previous crop was Spring Barley . The next field was sown on the following Wednesday in very dry conditions and was rolled and it has not done as well . The previous crop was Winter Wheat that was sprayed with Broadway Star .

FOLLOWING CROPS Crops that can be sown after a crop treated with BROADWAY STAR: Autumn Winter wheat and barley, winter oats, winter triticale, winter rye, oilseed rape, grass, winter beans, brassica plants as transplants 1 Control may be reduced if Broadway Star + and authorised adjuvant is applied alone to weeds that have developed resistance. SPECIMEN Broadway Star re-reg & spring wheat March 18 (IRL ONLY) Page 7 DOW CONFIDENTIAL - Do not share without permission Spring: Spring wheat, spring barley, spring oats, triticale, rye, spring oilseed rape, sugar beet, potatoes, grass, clover (as part of a grass/clover ley), beans, peas, maize, linseed, brassica plants as transplants, carrots, parsnips
Following a sequence of BROADWAY STAR and metsulfuron-methyl, treated ground should be ploughed to a depth of 15 cm before establishing winter oilseed rape. Vigour reductions may be seen in following crops of oilseed rape after a dry summer. This will be outgrown and will not result in yield loss. CROP FAILURE In the event of a crop failure after a crop has been treated with BROADWAY STAR + an authorised adjuvant before February 1st only the following crops may be planted after ploughing to a depth of at least 15 cm; Spring wheat, spring barley, grass or maize. At least 6 weeks must elapse between treatment and re-drilling. Where crop failures occurs following an application after February 1st, plough and then allow 6 weeks before planting grass or maize

Started grazing the stubble turnips and leafy turnips, the volunteer OSR damaged it a bit as did sowing it a few days late, spraying the volunteer cereals a few days late, not putting on the fert correctly and not rolling after sowing. I can only take the blame for the OSR, but think I might lose my sheep man because of them all.
20181118_153317.jpg 20181118_153321.jpg 20181118_153400.jpg

Would your sheepman not be happy with the bit of roughage the volunteer cereals would give? Would save you a spray as well?

Hard to believe a sheep man would be unhappy with that, looks ideal and a few different things to be nibbling on.
Are any of the graminicides actually cleared for use on fodder rApe anyway? I know plenty use them with no issues.

Would your sheepman not be happy with the bit of roughage the volunteer cereals would give? Would save you a spray as well?
I always find that early sown kale/rape benefits significantly from the winter barley volunteers being sprayed off. Stubble turnips and to a lesser extent leafy turnips are very poor competitors and need the volunteers to be sprayed at any time.

Back