Cuttings v bare root hedging

Cuttings will be slower to Establish from memory, as it has to develope roots; whereas bare rooted stock will be ready to go.
In reality bare root is the most common form of plant. You can opt for plugs or cells. Where the plant is virtually ready to go; but it's expensive and plants are normally smaller meaning weed treatment needs to be first class.

What species are you looking into Willow will take easily from cuttings, I have heard where someone used hazel sticks instead of bamboo and it rooted. But I never saw Hazel planted in cutting form.

It's just hedging, about 100m and fairly exposed on west coast. Grisselinia, and other hedging that's available to me.
Bare roots are so much dearer and have planted before and between weather, livestock picking tops and barley spray, it's failed.
If these take great, if not no loss I suppose. Just root compound and stick in?, no spadework?.

If you could, I'd advise getting them rooted into something like a potting mould milk carton etc; but if you want simplicity, your idea is perfect. Not sure how it will go, as no experience with Griselinia

I'v successfully grown Griselinia from cuttings directly into the ground, it might be an idea to grow a few in small pots as well so that you can replace any that fail to take in the ground.

Donegal, excellent link on your post. Tuuunne, check out out old crow medicine show version of wagon wheel. Years before "your man" butchered it

I was told oct/Nov. This year I'd say the good spell in oct would have brought them on. Only at mine now, planting plenty as the survival rate isn't great. Two rows, six inches between plants?. Cut top off branches and scratch a bit down by root. Rooting compound and stick four inches into ground.

Back