cyclist's a dangerous problem

johndeere6920s

A few months ago I overtook a cyclist on a main road he went in underneath the propellor head of the agitator.
I braked to turn and the guy didn't notice until it was too late and he swerved into the ditch.
I overtook one with the tanker not so long after and I cant imagine what the gurgling of them tyres is like at 40k next to your ear but it must be loud he also got a wobble and fell in to the ditch.
Today I overtook two of them and they were straight in underneath munderneat the trailer I can understand that somebit as it breaks the wind.
However one lad grabbed onto the bar on the back of the trailer!!!

The fact is in an accident the tractor would probably be found to have some defect and you would be at fault I'm not saying our machines aren't safe they are I'm just saying they would go through them with a fine ccomb to blame you. It is an accident that im 100% sure will happen a stone could fly up off a tyre or something out of your control realistically what can be done. I wanted to stop the two lads today and just explain how dangerous it was what they were at.
There seriously needs to be some sort of basic common sense course done

Cyclists have a God complex I firmly believe. No-one else deserves to be on the road and if you are then your the one at fault and in the way. Not the wanker on the bike. I was in KK last week and saw first hand a lad pedal straight through a red light across 2 lanes of moving cars who had to stop to miss the dirty eejit. I don't mean any offense to the cyclists on this forum who know and obey the rules but jesus something needs to be done for the rest and I for one think that tax and insurance on bikes is the way to go. You want to pedal along on public highways? Fine, pay for the pleasure like the rest of us road users. Rant over and tin hat on :blushing:

Careful now, you'll have cyclists demanding that all tractor drivers have HGV's and that all tractors undergo an annual DOE.

I was driving home from town last week 5:30 ish so it was dark, next thing I nearly drove straight into the back of a cyclist, no light and his rucksack had his hi vis completely covered :scared: I pulled in at the next wide spot and told him to pull in, he had no idea he couldn't be seen, he was after taking a notion to cycle to work about 30km away and didn't realise how long it would take, I was going to be passing his house so he threw his bike into the van and I dropped him home, what the F does be going through their heads.

I was an the Shannon dual carriage way last night in heavy fog at around 6 and there was a cyclist with no rear light or high viz just a front light.

I hate driving in Dublin on wet mornings, I nearly hit a guy that was swerving in and out of the cycle lane. It was this near miss that convinced me a dash cam is essential these days.

I have no problem with cyclists that can be seen and give and take; but the others need addressing.

Hate them with a passion myself l! had an incident in Dublin 5 years back and barely tipped one turning in! No hi vis lights or anything to make him visible! Anyway hegot up was grand and I assumed all OK! Got a letter 2 months later that my insurance company decided to settle his claim for just shy of 5 figures. It still makes my blood boil to think of it! part of what's wrong with insurance premiums aswell! A steel toe cap in the arse would have been a more appropriate settlement!
Saying that I also do an occasional bit on a bike myself! Seeing both sides of the argument I always wear the reflective gear and in generally just go on a main road where you have a safe hard shoulder and not causing nuisance!
The reason for lads clinging to the rear is simply to save energy! Makes it seem like downhill when the wind is broke! Have to be as close as 18 inches from it to get the benefit! Would be user commonly enough on charity cycles to keep lads going!

A few months ago I overtook a cyclist on a main road he went in underneath the propellor head of the agitator.
I braked to turn and the guy didn't notice until it was too late and he swerved into the ditch.
I overtook one with the tanker not so long after and I cant imagine what the gurgling of them tyres is like at 40k next to your ear but it must be loud he also got a wobble and fell in to the ditch.
Today I overtook two of them and they were straight in underneath munderneat the trailer I can understand that somebit as it breaks the wind.
However one lad grabbed onto the bar on the back of the trailer!!!

The fact is in an accident the tractor would probably be found to have some defect and you would be at fault I'm not saying our machines aren't safe they are I'm just saying they would go through them with a fine ccomb to blame you. It is an accident that im 100% sure will happen a stone could fly up off a tyre or something out of your control realistically what can be done. I wanted to stop the two lads today and just explain how dangerous it was what they were at.
There seriously needs to be some sort of basic common sense course done

I cycle an odd time. I agree that some cyclists have little cop on and think that they rule the road. They cycle 2 abreast on narrow roads. They don't light up properly. They don't signal correctly.

However, reading your post above, I question your driving?
You overtook a cyclist on a main road and then you turned across in front of him and forced him into the ditch??
You overtook a cyclist with the tanker and went so close to him that you made him wobble and go into the ditch?
As you overtook 2 cyclists they were sucked underneath your trailer??

I'm after paying for a bike for my 6 year old and I'm having palpitations here. As the driver of the tractor, you are supposed to drive with due caution and care. You are not supposed to overtake someone and then cut them across. You are supposed to keep such a distance from a cyclist or walker on a road with your tanker so that you don't blow them off course or cause them to be sucked in underneath your vehicle.

Man I know that some cyclists are pricks, but what you just described above shows you to be 100% in the wrong. In writing this it appears that you are saying that they should get off the road and let you have your way. In fact walkers and cyclists on roads have right away above you on your tractor. You are supposed to slow down, stop, and keep reasonable distance from them when you are travelling on the same road as them. Have any of these cyclists that you had incidents with threatened you with legal action? If they have, I'd be removing this thread fairly quick because it shows that you were 100% in the wrong!!

I'm thinking about returning the young wan's bike if this is what she will have to deal with on the road!!

The thoughts of two cyclists going underneath the trailer and one hanging on for dear life had me concerned too, but on second reading, I presume (hope) he means they tucked in behind the trailer to break the wind and one of them held on to the trailer as he wanted to be towed. :scratchhead:

Was talking to a fella that did the driver awarness course thing (what you do to avoid getting points) & he was told to treat all cyclists as a car & give them the same amount of room.

I cycle an odd time. I agree that some cyclists have little cop on and think that they rule the road. They cycle 2 abreast on narrow roads. They don't light up properly. They don't signal correctly.

You overtook a cyclist on a main road and then you turned across in front of him and forced him into the ditch??
You overtook a cyclist with the tanker and went so close to him that you made him wobble and go into the ditch?

I'm after paying for a bike for my 6 year old and I'm having palpitations here. As the driver of the tractor, you are supposed to drive with due caution and care. You are not supposed to overtake someone and then cut them across. You are supposed to keep such a distance from a cyclist or walker on a road with your tanker so that you don't blow them off course or cause them to be sucked in underneath your vehicle.

Man I know that some cyclists are pricks, but what you just described above shows you to be 100% in the wrong. In writing this it appears that you are saying that they should get off the road and let you have your way. In fact walkers and cyclists on roads have right away above you on your tractor. You are supposed to slow down, stop, and keep reasonable distance from them when you are travelling on the same road as them. Have any of these cyclists that you had incidents with threatened you with legal action? If they have, I'd be removing this thread fairly quick because it shows that you were 100% in the wrong!!

I'm thinking about returning the young wan's bike if this is what she will have to deal with on the road!!
Sorry I didn't go into enough detail the decking phone was starting to annoy me.
The first lad with the agitator I had him overtaken with half a mile or more before i turned he sped up when I passed him as he was trying to get a rest from the wind .
The lad with the tanker was on another main road with a wide hardsholder plenty of distance between us and the lads lads I overtook them with plenty of room but again they wanted to get a break from the wind.
dont domind a cyclist atal if they will have a bit of cop on even being behind me i dont mind once the distance is acceptable only a fool breaks the two second rule !!
Im fully aware of the rules of the road and without commong on with an attitude I spend so much of my time on them with heavy vehicles if I was as reckless as you think I am or what I made it sound like then I'd he off the road a long time ago .
No there has no one tyres taking legal action against me because I haven't done anything wrong.
Ive seen enough now to not act stupid on the roads.
My original query is more than a rant the lad that grabbed onto the rear of the trailer was no more than an inch or two away from the rear he was moving at 40km and holding the steering of the bike with one hand.
If god forbid something happens him if I hit a pothole and the trailer kept he probably would have been dragged under it.
It would habe been my fault yet I was following the rules of the road.
I want to cover my ass because the likelihood of someone getting injured is incredible if there going to do that.
I know a guy that does alot of cycling and he's reckless there was a woman pulled in on the hard shoulder with the hazards on and he wasnt looking ahead he cycled into the back of the car and ended up in the booth at a plate in his head yet it's her fault

Misses one point no I don't mind cyclist if thy have some bit of cop on I used cycle an awful lot from the age of your child to a few years ago I never once had a close call because I had the cop on not to do stupid things when it involved other people

I am beginning to loose all time and respect for a lot of them. They are beyond lethal around Cork City. Cycling about on these dark mornings and evenings with no lighting or any hi-viz clothing. They need to understand the rules of the road and show some respect for other road users. If one of them blew the mirror off my car or bounced off the side of it, who pays to repair? They should be made pay insurance if they wish to use the roads. I feel for the truck and bus drivers who must be driven cracked with them around towns and cities :tdown:

I was an the Shannon dual carriage way last night in heavy fog at around 6 and there was a cyclist with no rear light or high viz just a front light.

I hate driving in Dublin on wet mornings, I nearly hit a guy that was swerving in and out of the cycle lane. It was this near miss that convinced me a dash cam is essential these days.

I have no problem with cyclists that can be seen and give and take; but the others need addressing.

I'm in Dublin most of the week especially this time of the year. Used to cycle a good bit but a combination of a suspected injury and more your point above means I've hardly done any in the past 18 months. Other cyclists would just shove you off the road and them with no hi vis gear, lights and indeed cycling on paths and through red lights.

I'm not a fan of driving in Dublin during any of the commuter hours for these reasons but needs must.

I'm in Dublin most of the week especially this time of the year. Used to cycle a good bit but a combination of a suspected injury and more your point above means I've hardly done any in the past 18 months. Other cyclists would just shove you off the road and them with no hi vis gear, lights and indeed cycling on paths and through red lights.

I'm not a fan of driving in Dublin during any of the commuter hours for these reasons but needs must.
Is the cycle lanes inside the bus lanes ? There's cycle lanes here inside the new bypass but no one uses them

Is the cycle lanes inside the bus lanes ? There's cycle lanes here inside the new bypass but no one uses them

They are but the bus drivers need to use them too. Maybe it's just me but never felt too safe cycling along one of those on any of the main bus lanes.

A girl I went to college with got sucked in/knocked off her bike on one around RTE and was out of action for at least six months.

They are but the bus drivers need to use them too. Maybe it's just me but never felt too safe cycling along one of those on any of the main bus lanes.

A girl I went to college with got sucked in/knocked off her bike on one around RTE and was out of action for at least six months.
The lads on the buses are nuts up there don't know how there isn't crashes everyday

Sorry I didn't go into enough detail the decking phone was starting to annoy me.
The first lad with the agitator I had him overtaken with half a mile or more before i turned he sped up when I passed him as he was trying to get a rest from the wind .
The lad with the tanker was on another main road with a wide hardsholder plenty of distance between us and the lads lads I overtook them with plenty of room but again they wanted to get a break from the wind.
dont domind a cyclist atal if they will have a bit of cop on even being behind me i dont mind once the distance is acceptable only a fool breaks the two second rule !!
Im fully aware of the rules of the road and without commong on with an attitude I spend so much of my time on them with heavy vehicles if I was as reckless as you think I am or what I made it sound like then I'd he off the road a long time ago .
No there has no one tyres taking legal action against me because I haven't done anything wrong.
Ive seen enough now to not act stupid on the roads.
My original query is more than a rant the lad that grabbed onto the rear of the trailer was no more than an inch or two away from the rear he was moving at 40km and holding the steering of the bike with one hand.
If god forbid something happens him if I hit a pothole and the trailer kept he probably would have been dragged under it.
It would habe been my fault yet I was following the rules of the road.
I want to cover my ass because the likelihood of someone getting injured is incredible if there going to do that.
I know a guy that does alot of cycling and he's reckless there was a woman pulled in on the hard shoulder with the hazards on and he wasnt looking ahead he cycled into the back of the car and ended up in the booth at a plate in his head yet it's her fault

This paints a very different picture to your first post. I don't deny that there are some awful gander's on bikes who think that they own the road. Sometimes when i am out with a group cycling, I will tell someone to keep in pull back or whatever is needed to keep them safe.

Just remember that the law is always on the side of the human rather than the vehicle. You have to drive with due care and attention. As a tractor driver, you come last!

This paints a very different picture to your first post. I don't deny that there are some awful gander's on bikes who think that they own the road. Sometimes when i am out with a group cycling, I will tell someone to keep in pull back or whatever is needed to keep them safe.

Just remember that the law is always on the side of the human rather than the vehicle. You have to drive with due care and attention. As a tractor driver, you come last!
Well I should have been clearer.
I know the law is on the side if the human what I'm asking is what can the likes of myself do to prevent the lads grabbing onto the back of trailers.
It's not the first time and it probably won't be the last.
I was empty at this stage if I had a full load I wouldn't have known he was there

Back