Daily weather forecast update

Some showers in Dublin today and a right humdinger in Arklow this evening, second speed on the wipers was struggling with it and water pooled on the motorway.:sweat:

Around this day last year the weather took up and we got the warmth and dry weather that a lot of us were seeking. It has been an epic run. Grass grew all winter up to February 1st. There was no real harshness.

The next week looks bright, dry and much warmer than recent weeks. We will all welcome that.

After that it is looking pretty mixed.

I'm still learning about weather. From what I can see, most of the long range forecasters used trends to predict the weather. This relies on the weather repeating itself every few years. So they forecast based on cycles. There are visible 5, 7 and 12 year cycles and more.
To enhance their reliability, they look at weather history from these cycles. Some forecasters are saying that the weather we are having now is typical of what we had in may 2007 and after that, we moved into a much wetter period of weather for most of the summer.

I'm sceptical. As I said I'm still learning and probably will be learning for the rest of my life. There is only one thing that can be said for weather forecasting. Its impossible to accurately forecast the weather for a timeframe beyone 7 to 10 days.

@muckymanor next 7 to 10days what ya reckon!??:scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:
East of the country relatively dry. Some light rain for the western half. Not much rain in total. A rarity for me, but walking pasture and meadows in galway this evening and they are so dry that growth is minimal. We need a good day of rain. Only consolation is that cattle are happy - even if they don't have a lot to eat.

East of the country relatively dry. Some light rain for the western half. Not much rain in total. A rarity for me, but walking pasture and meadows in galway this evening and they are so dry that growth is minimal. We need a good day of rain. Only consolation is that cattle are happy - even if they don't have a lot to eat.
We need a wet week now

Looking like a spell of rain for down here from next Wednesday if yr.no are anything to go by, we need it for growth but not for getting on with silage harvest..https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Tipperary/long.html

Not a drop here last night or today. Nothing much in the forecast either.

Roches point has had 370mm this year, not much more to come in May.

At the end of May last year it had received 513.7mm. 5-6” extra.

The 30yr mean to the end of May is 375.4mm so we’re pretty much on target.

I can sense a drought coming.

Spitting in kinsale this evening, drying as fast as it was falling. Concrete wet now, but only enough to keep the dust down

Where did you get the data from going back 30 years, is it available on the internet, I look on met eireann the odd time but it only goes back a few years

Looks like there’s a LOT of dry weather coming......

I’m talking about May, June, July......

2015 had record breaking cereal yields, May was very harsh, new leaves on beech trees were badly burnt.

370?? 212 mm since January 1st here. Rain is badly needed but crops are looking OK despite lack of moisture. Is that weather protection from Simon Keeling?

Last edited:
Back