Dairy farming

Holee fuuke that is some production. Is that twice a day or do you love milking so much you do it in the middle of the day as well.
Herd average of 510 kg here, 6250 litres, started calving 15th Jan and dried off for the last two weeks.

Twice a day milking,no way I’d ever do three.:2guns:

€10,000 after grant and vat back that's a complete new job.
If just putting in a new bin and auger it would be around €6,000 .
Not sure if i would get a grant then on the bin and auger alone ..

€10,000 after grant and vat back that's a complete new job.
If just putting in a new bin and auger it would be around €6,000 .
Not sure if i would get a grant then on the bin and auger alone ..
The way I'd look at that is you have a whole new system for 4k extra. It's up to you if you think you need the new system.
You'll get the grant on the bin but not the augers

Well ya that's true, on the other hand I suppose I could get the batch feeders in for the 4-5k mark too ...

Does any 1 have a yoke for testing the quality of colstrum and if so are they a good job and where did ye get it ?..

At least the residents won't associate the smell with dairy farming when the farm no longer has any animals.
How does the process work? Grow crops, harvest them and throw them into a digester, sell the gas and spread what comes out the other side back on the land? It doesn't fill many bellies does it?

In a nut shell that is how it works. Grass, beet etc..

Live up the road from a new digester they are putting into operation.
That farm when he bought it had a dairy enterprise on it already. He of course couldnt settle on just several hundred cows and had to nearly triple the numbers, all while trying to get them on lely robots in a grazing system!
Pure madness and hardship.
The bad smell was because of the offal and fish waste going into the digester. I never knew this before but so long as they pasteurized it first you could put carcasses of fallen animals in the digester.
I know for sure they fuel it with offal and fish waste anyway. Smell was supposed to have been absolutely awful, even farmers themselves were complaining. Word is he is not allowed to spread it on the land anymore, my guess is this is the reason the cows are going so he doesn't need the grassland and can inject in the digestate while ploughing or tilling.
He was experimenting with drying it and pelleting it but I can't see how that could be feasible to do with all the digestate.

Live up the road from a new digester they are putting into operation.
That farm when he bought it had a dairy enterprise on it already. He of course couldnt settle on just several hundred cows and had to nearly triple the numbers, all while trying to get them on lely robots in a grazing system!
Pure madness and hardship.
The bad smell was because of the offal and fish waste going into the digester. I never knew this before but so long as they pasteurized it first you could put carcasses of fallen animals in the digester.
I know for sure they fuel it with offal and fish waste anyway. Smell was supposed to have been absolutely awful, even farmers themselves were complaining. Word is he is not allowed to spread it on the land anymore, my guess is this is the reason the cows are going so he doesn't need the grassland and can inject in the digestate while ploughing or tilling.
He was experimenting with drying it and pelleting it but I can't see how that could be feasible to do with all the digestate.

Really?? I don't agree with that type of production at all.

A few questions that some 1 may be able to help me out on.
1.how do I work out the ms/milk solids per cow per year ?
2.how do I work out how much concentrate/meal feed per cow ?

A few questions that some 1 may be able to help me out on.
1.how do I work out the ms/milk solids per cow per year ?
2.how do I work out how much concentrate/meal feed per cow ?
2.Total meal fed to Miller's divided by number of cows
1. Add protein and butterfat % together, multiply by milk sent to processor, divided by 100, then divided by number of cows

Have a question on drying off cows so posting it here rather than opening a new thread. After administering around 30 tubes my two fingers get sore. I was wondering is there a device out there than you can clip the tube into like a vaccination gun where you use whole hand to inject the tube, like a miniature silicone gun??

Have a question on drying off cows so posting it here rather than opening a new thread. After administering around 30 tubes my two fingers get sore. I was wondering is there a device out there than you can clip the tube into like a vaccination gun where you use whole hand to inject the tube, like a miniature silicone gun??
Ur ahead of ur time

There's one brand have very stiff tubes. Use dry cow and a sealer here, that's 8 tubes per cow. Don't know if its necessary tbh.

Back