Dairy farming

The other thing I always do is have as much ready from after the pm milking so as to let you start immediately in the am, all gates ready, new sock in the filter etc. None of this actually shortens your day but it defo helps mentally if you can get off to a quick start in the morning.

Last edited:
Well you have made a start which is a step in the right direction. Just a matter of fine tuning things now. One tip maybe have the machine washed and ready to put clusters straight on in the morning. Always start at the top and work your way down this includes teat spraying. Open the gate if you can when you are on the last 3 cows. They will be walking out as you are changing over the last few. What is you milking routine?

I haven’t got one but the few lads with the bat latch that opens the paddock wire at the set time swear by them. They say it saves an awful lot of time both morning and evening

Was with a lad probably mid 60s...anyway we were talking away and he just raises he hand and tells the dog go a few minutes later the cows start coming up the passage... he said he doesn't lock cows in at all and just sends the dog for them....twas gas to watch in fairness about 60 cows.. is say they were on 72 hr grazings

In fairness it would be quite easy to program a drone to herd up cows, all it would need would be a basic GPS, gis of the paddocks/Lane ways etc, and then basic image recognition software to spot the cows.

Was with a lad probably mid 60s...anyway we were talking away and he just raises he hand and tells the dog go a few minutes later the cows start coming up the passage... he said he doesn't lock cows in at all and just sends the dog for them....twas gas to watch in fairness about 60 cows.. is say they were on 72 hr grazings
Uncle has the same.
Told me he goes once he hears the compressor come on.

Was fine till one day a lad came to service the milk machine. Doggo bought the cows in two hours after they'd finished milking! Luckilly the yard gate was closed!!

When we had cows my late father used stick his head out the bedroom window in the morning and call the dog " Go for the cows Sam" , they would be most of the way to the parlour by the time he got outside.

I got up at quarter past 7 had the breakfast and was milking then for 8 after changing fence etc . 8 to 9.30 milking, close out cows and washing 10.30 so the 3 hours were 7.30 to 10.30 .
Any 1 ever use grasstec based in cork for buying dairy stock ?

Not available any more afaik. Got the batt latch last yr comes into it's own in bad weather in the spring .I have the one that you can txt to open the wire

I got up at quarter past 7 had the breakfast and was milking then for 8 after changing fence etc . 8 to 9.30 milking, close out cows and washing 10.30 so the 3 hours were 7.30 to 10.30 .
Any 1 ever use grasstec based in cork for buying dairy stock ?
Are you strip fencing at the moment?

Jesus they are a dear item ..
Yes strip grazing I find it a lot easier to manage cows this way .
Could you not set up for a day's grazing at a time? Even 3 grazings you would be ok. That way you could work a day or two ahead of your self and not having to be at it at every milking

I would be fairly generous with the strip wire ! I find with the paddock system they run from 1 end to the other and wont settle also anytime I tried it I cant get them into the parlour then ...

I would be fairly generous with the strip wire ! I find with the paddock system they run from 1 end to the other and wont settle also anytime I tried it I cant get them into the parlour then ...
I have to run a reel around them sometimes when they won't come. Pita but quicker than waiting on them.. need a dog or a quad

What your average paddock size. Lad you are giving yourself alot of work. Plus you have to hold onto the cows each time after milking untill they are all done before letting them off. Which adds to your cleaning up of yards and down the road lame cows and possible less milk. We do what you are at now early in the spring usually until we can get cows out full time by day and those reals are threw back into the work shop again. Never had a issue getting cows out of paddock.

Back