Dairy farming

12 swing arm, no removers. I can go to 18 inside existing shed and theres another 20ft behind before I meet a tank that I can go into if needs be.
Yeah that would be ideal situation but not always possible, not in our situation any way when theres lots of places needing investment

An 18/36 with removers would be an excellent 1 man parlour.:Thumbp2:

Sure why not? Have the land-growing the grass aswell, have the milk tank, will have the cubicles and slurry storage by the end of the autumn.
Its only a matter of extending the parlour in a year or 2.
Our maidens were contract reared this year and all heifers will be from next year, I'll only have cows to look after.
I love milking cows, wouldn't do anything else. Much simpler life since we got the heifers contract reared. Contract out a good portion of our work also, 6 years ago we did it all.
With new regulations all slurry will be contracted out too
What time do you finish in the evening?

Sure why not? Have the land-growing the grass aswell, have the milk tank, will have the cubicles and slurry storage by the end of the autumn.
Its only a matter of extending the parlour in a year or 2.
Our maidens were contract reared this year and all heifers will be from next year, I'll only have cows to look after.
I love milking cows, wouldn't do anything else. Much simpler life since we got the heifers contract reared. Contract out a good portion of our work also, 6 years ago we did it all.
With new regulations all slurry will be contracted out too
I know a very big company and their motto is if you can measure it get it done on contract. The Haulage was contracted out first then the forklift loading the lorry's was taken over by the haulage company and eventually the operation of the machines doing so many tonnes per hour . They look after the marketing and the sales but the dirty end is all done under contract . If the boss walks down the yard and sees somebody sitting on a pallet a bit worse for wear on a Monday it is not his worry anymore .

the tanker driver tells me he collects from a 140 cow herd and he,s washed up and done at 7.10 every morning and another lad starts morning milking at 4.30 , i,d say they have hectic social lives

the tanker driver tells me he collects from a 140 cow herd and he,s washed up and done at 7.10 every morning and another lad starts morning milking at 4.30 , i,d say they have hectic social lives
Local farmer milks here at 3.30am. Madness

Mate of mine goes out the house 4.30. Clusters on 5. And is in the house to have breakfast with his young familly 7.30. Puts 400 through a rotary.

A lad i work with was on shift work and milking his cows he was getting up at 2 am to milk cows and be in for work at 6 am and d next week was out on d yard till 2 am when we finished up at 10pm. He had more energy and go to him than d townies in work that watched tv all morning before work or all night after work

its sad to see the creameries talking about taking on no more new suppliers , are we heading into a new form of quotas with lads being locked out and new blood not able to start milking or will existing suppliers be able to sell their rights to milk to other farmers, it could become a minefield if it comes to pass

its sad to see the creameries talking about taking on no more new suppliers , are we heading into a new form of quotas with lads being locked out and new blood not able to start milking or will existing suppliers be able to sell their rights to milk to other farmers, it could become a minefield if it comes to pass
Who talking about this lad? It odd as world wide production is down and I seen something today that domestic buying milk is up.

itis going to happen down here as well. well flagged with a yr or 2 why do you thing all the lads are putting in 2nd units:rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

Doesnt seem that unreasonable to me to press the pause button after the growth and investment that many of the co-ops have made, they probably want to pay down some debt and be sure of their markets before they invest again

Doesnt seem that unreasonable to me to press the pause button after the growth and investment that many of the co-ops have made, they probably want to pay down some debt and be sure of their markets before they invest again
Ya I kinda agree. It has to hauled in abit now and allow dust to settle down abit. They can't stay throwing up dryers left right and center

yeah i can see where the processors are coming from but i,d hate to see a form of quota being introduced for young fellas and new entrants, we had that for 30 yrs unless of course they,d be willing to pay some lads to exit milking to free up capacity :yes:

Isn't this really of their own making. If a charge had been applied on all existing supplies in a proportional way on supplies to pay for the stainless investment it would have been a better solution??

Then again, I thought we were all told by all coops that they now had significant excess capacity??

Isn't this really of their own making. If a charge had been applied on all existing supplies in a proportional way on supplies to pay for the stainless investment it would have been a better solution??

Then again, I thought we were all told by all coops that they now had significant excess capacity??
How much od this new supply is coming from old suppliers. Around here it was mostly existing farms that have increased. Surely a charge on extra ltrs of say 1c per litre from yr 5 to yr 10 of the new supply so as to let guys get their feet on the ground.

Surprise Glanbia didnt think up of some bonkers complicated mechanism

yeah i can see where the processors are coming from but i,d hate to see a form of quota being introduced for young fellas and new entrants, we had that for 30 yrs unless of course they,d be willing to pay some lads to exit milking to free up capacity :yes:
Would you rather see the arse fall out of milk price .All the dairy farmers who have expanded are doing double the amount of work for the same profit that was made from half the no. 10-15 years ago .No problem with a lad switching from sucklers to milk a reasonable no. of cows but all these massive herds milking 150 -400 cows are really showering the co op with massive lakes of milk that co ops can do nothing with with only flog on again as quickly as possible to make room for more product .It is pulling back the price paid big time not to mind all the extra sucks

Back