Dairy heifers

Sure work out what you need as your replacement rate for the next few years keep what you need and sell the rest either as calfs or weanlings maybe?

10 is the usual amount I would need so,I was thinking of keeping 20 bullocks then with them to keep 30 altogether and a bull as well obviously for the heifers?

10 is the usual amount I would need so,I was thinking of keeping 20 bullocks then with them to keep 30 altogether and a bull as well obviously for the heifers?
That's manageable. Just throwing this out there would you make more from keeping the heifers and selling as incalf in Jan rather then the Bullock's? I'd be a ai man myself and I run a white head to clean up so be asking the wrong man. A bull is another livestock unit aswell don't forget which will cost money

I think it would cost too much to raise 30 heifers,compared to just keeping what you need.only thing is it nearly easier to buy them in if you only need around 10?

I think it would cost too much to raise 30 heifers,compared to just keeping what you need.only thing is it nearly easier to buy them in if you only need around 10?
I think your talking around 1500e from calf to parlour. But as I said earlier go for what suits you but mind where you buy that you don't buy in any diseases

Ya deffinately.i keep the heifers on an outside farm so it's not too easy to a.i them.do ye have much bother training them to the parlour?

Ya deffinately.i keep the heifers on an outside farm so it's not too easy to a.i them.do ye have much bother training them to the parlour?
Ah I get you. Well we are in liquid milk so we have some cows called at this point so we put 4 at a time in with the cows to let them get used to things. I don't make them go in the 1st time maybe the next day I'd walk them through if they haven't gone in already. I'd spray them and path them and let them off then. I give them week and on to the next batch then. I heard of lads who are just spring milk starting the machine and putting them true it everyday.

I gave up aiing heifers here, too hard trying to correctly pickup heats, I'd end up with a few heifers mad bulling, and 3 days later the same ones would be mad bulling again etc, all this while your trying to concentrate on heat detection for cows also. Much much easier just to lob in a bull from day1. Used a he bull with them last year, pickup up a pure br fr bull this year for 1400 and flogged him on 10wks later for 1000.

I gave up aiing heifers here, too hard trying to correctly pickup heats, I'd end up with a few heifers mad bulling, and 3 days later the same ones would be mad bulling again etc, all this while your trying to concentrate on heat detection for cows also. Much much easier just to lob in a bull from day1. Used a he bull with them last year, pickup up a pure br fr bull this year for 1400 and flogged him on 10wks later for 1000.

Should you not be trying to get heifer calves from heifers as these would have been selected as your earlier calves initially?

And so devoting more time/money to breeding heifers?

(Non dairy here :blushing:)

Should you not be trying to get heifer calves from heifers as these would have been selected as your earlier calves initially?

And so devoting more time/money to breeding heifers?

(Non dairy here :blushing:)
Your heifers will have the best genetics in your herd also.
If they're on an outfarm, my advise would be to synchronise them, AI, then lob in the bull.

Back