David Brown

Very cheap 1412,.rare enough tractor unless of course this one is a basket case.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/davib-brown-1412/1754988
YzFkMDM4M2NjZjg4ODU5ZGNmYzY3OGIxNzRlMjAzMDDSANhMdISl4Yz_VvWbPgw9aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MTI2OTQxN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
i think it was a hydro shift or was i mistaken ?

They had crankshaft issues, though I think some of the 990s had a weakness here too. I remember seeing three broken crankshafts from DBs in an engine shop in Sliabh Rua years ago at the same time. Mechanic wasn't really surprised. That small diamond door would put me off straight away. Turning the pump down on a 1212 was the first job then to help save the crank.
MF30

They had crankshaft issues, though I think some of the 990s had a weakness here too. I remember seeing three broken crankshafts from DBs in an engine shop in Sliabh Rua years ago at the same time. Mechanic wasn't really surprised. That small diamond door would put me off straight away. Turning the pump down on a 1212 was the first job then to help save the crank.
MF30
Afaik only 3 bearings on the crankshaft was to blame.

MF30
crankshafts seemed to be a problem with db,s , are they hard to be got nowadays ?

He could get new crankshafts fine but lack of support in bearing carriers was a problem. Blocks possibly got twisted too as he showed me that when a new crank was torqued up fully it tended to bind, releasing the bolts slightly and it freed up again. The cure? He used pieces of folded tinfoil between the bearing caps to space them apart! Said he did this first twenty years ago and engines have come back worn out after all that time with the tinfoil intact! I couldn't believe it.
MF30

He could get new crankshafts fine but lack of support in bearing carriers was a problem. Blocks possibly got twisted too as he showed me that when a new crank was torqued up fully it tended to bind, releasing the bolts slightly and it freed up again. The cure? He used pieces of folded tinfoil between the bearing caps to space them apart! Said he did this first twenty years ago and engines have come back worn out after all that time with the tinfoil intact! I couldn't believe it.
MF30
:speechless::speechless:

Wonder would sales have been much higher for these models if the doors were a decent size? I'm sure the door size alone put off many a well fed farmer...
MF30

The cost of developing new cabs hurried the demise of many manufacturers just as they were becoming vulnerable to the fall in total tractor sales.

Wonder would sales have been much higher for these models if the doors were a decent size? I'm sure the door size alone put off many a well fed farmer...
MF30

You did have the option of the Secura cab but it was probably a lot dearer so most wouldn't have chosen it.

They just looked ungainly compared to the much more compact 3000 or 135.

Or in maybe!
Didnt Browns have some valve back near the lift quadrant that if touched could lead to all sorts of bother?!

I think that was one that you could use to lock the lift arms but not 100% sure on that.

I think that was one that you could use to lock the lift arms but not 100% sure on that.
There lever to lock the lift arms on the 1210 was under the seat at your heals.
On the 1210 there was a dial sort of thingy behind the lifts lever, a flow control of some sorts if memory serves me right.

Or in maybe!
Didnt Browns have some valve back near the lift quadrant that if touched could lead to all sorts of bother?!
The selectamatic 3 way control valve is on the right beside lift lever, moving this changes the type of lift control. Beside it is the dump valve-pull/push movement. Bottom right at the heel is flow/drop control rate, left side are 3 oil flow/ on/off taps. All have their own uses and work satisfactorily but you wouldn't want to be in a hurry to discover their full potential.
MF30

Back