Digger Hire

nashmach

We need to get draining and some land reclamation done at home at the minute.

A JCB 3CX would do but a tracked digger would be better. As it is a while since we got one in and even then it was the middle of the boom I am wondering what rates are at the moment so I know we are not getting ripped off!

All the land is very close so haulage not needed. Stone will be supplied very close and one person available to help if not two during a weekend.

Any ideas for both - in Ireland preferbaly?

A good man on a 12/13 ton will probably be €40 ish.

I wouldnt even think about hiring in a 3cx for drainage.

mike is right about the 3cx, unless ya have plenty of patience and time,
i was 30 an hour there for a bit but diesel is on the up so its back to €35 an hour now.
thats for a 13t digger, laser level and a operator.

There is a chap called Pat Furlong who has done work for us over the years and is pretty spot on. He may be worth a call. He also has a gravel mole plough thing too.

The others are right about a 3cx or any other wheeled digger. We have a Fermec 860 but if we have any decent amoung of digging to do you would be quicker with a mini digger or at least that is what we have found.

Merv

Digger at the moment.

I have seen them at €450 down our way but that could be +VAT. Unfortunately neither of us have followed one before.

i wud definetly suggest you look for man and machine in that case...

well put it this way, roughly speakin,
a 13tonner to hire will be approx €600 (give or take) if ya get a driver he will cost you €100 a day if he is any good at all, and roughly €200-250 for the week in diesel,
so €600+€500+€200= €1300,
a man contracted in will set ya back roughly €1400 a week and no hassle.

well put it this way, roughly speakin,
a 13tonner to hire will be approx €600 (give or take) if ya get a driver he will cost you €100 a day if he is any good at all, and roughly €200-250 for the week in diesel,
so €600+€500+€200= €1300,
a man contracted in will set ya back roughly €1400 a week and no hassle.

Plus you have to insure it....

Only a few days work in it really.

get a good tidy man in hi.
and not one thats waiting in the yard for the next jop to appear.
any good man will be still busy with digger work.

have ya a good fall in the ground or is it flat?

get a good tidy man in hi.
and not one thats waiting in the yard for the next jop to appear.
any good man will be still busy with digger work.

have ya a good fall in the ground or is it flat?

3 fields:

First is just clean some scrub from around 3 sides. Not much in it to be honest. Reshape two drains also.

Second: ploughed at the minute. One corner has a dip but there is a mound of clay nearby so we are going to level it off and put a drain in it. Also need a slip way for cattle.

Third: the worst one. Has 2 big puddles in it that can't be levelled so we are going to run drains through them as there is nothing there at present. We are not going to reseeding it till next year anyway to make sure it is right.

Wet land is a curse!!!!!

3 fields:

First is just clean some scrub from around 3 sides. Not much in it to be honest. Reshape two drains also.

Second: ploughed at the minute. One corner has a dip but there is a mound of clay nearby so we are going to level it off and put a drain in it. Also need a slip way for cattle.

Third: the worst one. Has 2 big puddles in it that can't be levelled so we are going to run drains through them as there is nothing there at present. We are not going to reseeding it till next year anyway to make sure it is right.

Wet land is a curse!!!!!

ya would want to come up this end of the country to see Real wet land tho:lol::whistling:

There is a chap called Pat Furlong who has done work for us over the years and is pretty spot on. He may be worth a call. He also has a gravel mole plough thing too.

The others are right about a 3cx or any other wheeled digger. We have a Fermec 860 but if we have any decent amoung of digging to do you would be quicker with a mini digger or at least that is what we have found.

Merv

I missed this Merv. Yes I know Pat through the ploughing scene. I didn't know he was into this business until last week. He did land a few weeks ago for a man near us who is into ploughing in the 3f class in a big way with lots of entertainment guaranteed :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Blue Ray will know who I mean I bet:thumbup:

I missed this Merv. Yes I know Pat through the ploughing scene. I didn't know he was into this business until last week. He did land a few weeks ago for a man near us who is into ploughing in the 3f class in a big way with lots of entertainment guaranteed :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Blue Ray will know who I mean I bet:thumbup:

Would there be a couple of brothers involved in that ploughing set up? one driving and the other shouting!
Back to the digger question, Furlong is good. When hiring in a digger I would consider the driver to be far more important than the price. I know what you mean about this water being a nuisance, we've some of the driest land in Ireland on top of a sand pit, and had numerous ponds of water in the middles of fields over this last winter.

Would there be a couple of brothers involved in that ploughing set up? one driving and the other shouting!
Back to the digger question, Furlong is good. When hiring in a digger I would consider the driver to be far more important than the price. I know what you mean about this water being a nuisance, we've some of the driest land in Ireland on top of a sand pit, and had numerous ponds of water in the middles of fields over this last winter.

Good guess Ray:lol::lol: D'unbelievables of ploughing:laugh: I think you need someone roaring at the headland at you soon!

Agree with your 2nd point - you only do it once or at most twice if it doesn't work out properly.

i have a laser level for the digger, i do use it from time to time to drain flatter fields thats hard to get a fall in.
it takes the guess work out of it.

dad got lads in to drain some of our ground 25 yrs ago, they had a county with a trench cutter on it, much like a ditch witch of today, when the county went over a rise in the ground so did the trencher:001_rolleyes:, so now rather than having a damp field we have drier fields with sumo holes in them:lol::angry:.

All done and looks good - just have to tidy up with a bit of seed now!

Got a local man in with a 20t digger after. Big MTX200 on the tri axle lowloader.

Blue Ray will have seen it on his rounds:whistling::whistling:

Had this hired in to day all the stone will be used for draining wet land ! he will be here all week crushing

Attachments

• butcher crushing 001.jpg
    butcher crushing 001.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 32
  • butcher crushing 002.jpg
    butcher crushing 002.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 27
  • butcher crushing 003.jpg
    butcher crushing 003.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 30
Back