Disc Harrow

Both to be honest. I have some hilly ground that I can't pull the 6 metre roller up for tillage so was going to use it on the ploughing there.. plus I want to take advantage of the tams so I thought it might be the best option to go for.

If it were for tilling ploughed ground for cereals only I would be inclined to go for something with a smaller disc than a Rubin such as the Vaderstad that you mentioned but if it is also going to be used for deeper work then you are probably right to be going for something with a big disc.

I'm looking for lemken ruben 9 owners on here. Was talking to a guy in east cork who had one and had an awful issue with the hubs wearing.. also earth was piling up in the centre of the harrow when on ploughed ground. I kinda had my heart set on one for tams but unsure now.. he's much happier with the new mashio 3m disc. Pm me if you don't want to reply here. Thanks.
The hubs used to wear on the older 6 bolt disc hubs as the hub was part of the leg and the bearing cap was facing the ground,all was fine until the discs started to get down,then the corner of the cap would wear,and possibly wear a hole and let in the dirt.then a bearing would go,
I made up protectors here for my first rubin to stop the cap wearing any more,must get a picture later.
The 5 bolt disc is a safer job,i not have a 5 bolt machine now,absolutely no differ in the machine just the hub,the hub is bolted to the leg now and the bearing is better protected.
Soil bunching in ploughed ground usually happens if the harrow is set way too deep on the front or his discs are way down,seen it happen,but with the right Adjustments it wont happen.
Iv ran a rubin for 10/12 years and wouldn’t be without one.

166962FA-4AF0-4F21-B475-724A7BB0A9E0.png 5E406477-67C4-4723-AAC7-86E634578847.png Agreed @vf949, Small discs are better on ploughing, we did the sums before, I can’t remember the exact figure but basically, if traveling at the same forward speed, the smaller diameter disc will be turning faster than a bigger disc, in our case we were comparing a carrier and a carrier XL, the bigger disc would need to be pulled at 1 or 1.5km faster to get the same disc speed, if that makes sense, also the bigger disc will be more aggressive and will tend to go deeper.
As @jd-baz said, set correct it shouldn’t block much, unless the clay is wet, a disc won’t work in wet, where a ph will... not saying it should but it will and it does be done.
A lemken heliodor would be a good option, smaller disc, we had one it did great work on ploughing, there’s also the possibility of putting a drill on top, incidentally I know where there’s a 3m lemken solitar drill for sale.

Last edited:
As above. Small discs =better finish/tilth
Bigger discs/more weight =better penetration on hard ground
If buying one machine a compromise has to be reached which should favour the majority type of work

What disk harrow is best to deal with scraws?
Will probably change ours the end of the year.
Something capable of going into grassland and leaving a somewhat level finish
Also something that will take abuse as we'd be in alot of ground that the rock isn't far from the surface

Also something that will take abuse as we'd be in alot of ground that the rock isn't far from the surface

The lads here are saying the lemken is the one for it. I decided to go with the lemken it's the best all rounder.. reseeding and tillage in one machine is what I needed. Have you tillage as well?

No disc harrow will level scraw.
Ideally don't make them in the first place ie chop the ground well rather than turning up sods of turf iykim
Having ground bare and sprayed off a while is a huge help

I'd be more inclined to go for a trailed machine but I'm worried do they all leave the ground rough

I'd def go for trailer (4metre) but I've hilly ground that needs reseeding and I said to myself a 3 metre will suit me fine.. as leaving the ground rough, you can only do the best job you can if conditions allow.. I.e. hilly, bogs etc. If a plough system would suit I'd go that road plus a good leveller after.

No disc harrow will level scraw.
Ideally don't make them in the first place ie chop the ground well rather than turning up sods of turf iykim
Having ground bare and sprayed off a while is a huge help
I know that but try convincing lads your doing it for the same thing!!!!
Mine tends to leave a ridge

The lads here are saying the lemken is the one for it. I decided to go with the lemken it's the best all rounder.. reseeding and tillage in one machine is what I needed. Have you tillage as well?

You won't go too far wrong with a Rubin I'd think John. Be sure to post some pics when it arrives! Are you getting the double cage roller as the packer?

You won't go too far wrong with a Rubin I'd think John. Be sure to post some pics when it arrives! Are you getting the double cage roller as the packer?

Will do.. yes double cage roller straw Harrows the works!!

View attachment 63841 View attachment 63840 Agreed @vf949, Small discs are better on ploughing, we did the sums before, I can’t remember the exact figure but basically, if traveling at the same forward speed, the smaller diameter disc will be turning faster than a bigger disc, in our case we were comparing a carrier and a carrier XL, the bigger disc would need to be pulled at 1 or 1.5km faster to get the same disc speed, if that makes sense, also the bigger disc will be more aggressive and will tend to go deeper.
As @jd-baz said, set correct it shouldn’t block much, unless the clay is wet, a disc won’t work in wet, where a ph will... not saying it should but it will and it does be done.
A lemken heliodor would be a good option, smaller disc, we had one it did great work on ploughing, there’s also the possibility of putting a drill on top, incidentally I know where there’s a 3m lemken solitar drill for sale.
That leaves a nice finish on the field

Does it matter if the discs are plain or serated if working burnt off ground for reseeding?
Been told that it's a job for plain ones :scratchhead:

I'd def go for trailer (4metre) but I've hilly ground that needs reseeding and I said to myself a 3 metre will suit me fine.. as leaving the ground rough, you can only do the best job you can if conditions allow.. I.e. hilly, bogs etc. If a plough system would suit I'd go that road plus a good leveller after.
We have a 4m trailed Ruben and we have often used it for reseeding on hilly ground with no problem.Does a great job on reseeding. Wouldn’t be without it.

For God's sake pretty woman is on and I'm being forced to watch it..

Back