Discussion groups

Been in a few down through the yrs.some are good some are bad.in the local coop kt group at the moment which to my suprise is very good.

I know a couple of lads in dairy discussion groups and they find them very good.
I’m in a KT tillage one myself and enjoy it, it’s as much for the social aspect as anything in my case.

I work off farm so meet plenty of people but there’s a good atmosphere in the KT group. There’s a mix of ages and usually some bit of craic.
With full time farming being a solitary occupation at times, I’d imagine the bit of chat at a discussion group meeting has a significant value.

In one coming on 4 years now! Definitely one of the best decisions made to join it. It's a young farmers group we're in whereby we're all at a similar stage to a degree.
Brilliant social aspect and especially important from a mental health perspective this year.
Incredibly beneficial to get off farm and see your not the only one struggling.
A lot of people are wary of having others on there farms etc. Remember everyone has faults in their own yard so your no different to anybody else and I wouldn't let that put you off. Anyone that has spent time with a contractor can tell you that their own place never seems bad after being to a lot of others.
Theres always an idea or an insight to be brought back from every walk you go on! Even something as simple as the way a gate is hung or hasped in a certain place.
The information sharing is extremely helpful. I can safely say that each and every member of our group has improved things by being a member of a discussion group.

Do you have to hold farm walks yourself then too being part of a diccussion group ?

If you say no they are unlikely to kick you out of it ha. They will usually give you several months to find your feet in a new group before they decide to go to your farm (unless you invite them sooner ha). I find the DG very useful, in particular in the early days when I still really was finding my feet, they helped convince me the huge benefits of things like compact calving, front loading 2yr old calved heifers, better quality leafy silage, maize silage etc etc.

And I'd even go one step further, being part of a DG was great for steering me away from other potential sources of "advice", I remember one day accompanying a local farmer who did some part time haulage to pickup some heifers we bought, I'm not joking the whole 4hrs I was with him he bitched and moaned about utterly everything and everyone who had any sort of agricultural influence ha, Teagasc, Glanbia, Dept of agri, all pure conmen etc and that I'd be better off staying away from the lot and doing myown thing. On hindsight thankfully I took alot more influence from my DG who were alot more productive and useful to helping moving the farm here forward, but as a very influential mid 20s young farmer the likes of that sort of advice can be absolutely detrimental if you take it to heart.

Are you involved in tegasc as that is the best way to get involved. There is surely a local enough group to you. I'm part of a beef one it's grand I'm the youngest in it by 20 yrs i would guess. A lot of the lads are they really for the money.
I would imagine the dairy ones are much better organised as they tend to meet every month and go on a good few walks outside of the county research farm etc.
Ul definitely get something out of it and don't worry about holding a walk ul won't be forced to hold one

We were with teagasc but they messed up our single farm payment 1 year so we moved away from them to an independent advisor, so now I dunno how I could contact them about discussion groups

We were with teagasc but they messed up our single farm payment 1 year so we moved away from them to an independent advisor, so now I dunno how I could contact them about discussion groups

Swallow some pride, pick up the phone and ask to be put in contact with a relevant facilitator. You will learn more off of others than you have lost by one eegit making a balls of your SFP. You can still use your independent planner. Life is too short.

Back