Doing the brakes on a tractor

f140

Need to do the brakes on my f140. Mechanic will come here to do them over Christmas period. Will the back axle oil have to be drained and renewed Or will most of the oil remain inside back axle? Reason I'm asking is the oil was only new in it last year. Forgot to ask mechanic.

You can drain most of the oil if you have a clean empty drum and hook a hydraulic hose up to your tipping gear and other end in barrel. Then pour back in when done.

Many youngsters wouldn’t know the Exxon Valdez, in the very end of waterworld that great film with Kevin Costner the oil tanker was the Valdez....
may be young but have seen the movie before. i think we both have 2 very different definitions of what great means

You haven’t mentioned if the brakes are gone or doing them as a precaution yet @f140 ?
Only advice ill give and maybe your mechanic may be familiar with winners or that back end but this will all become easy to understand when the trumpet housing is off,but when refitting make sure to fit the stubby shaft to the tractor side with the brake disc on it and not to leave the stubby shaft in the trumpet housing when pushing it back in as it wont enter the brake disc fully,and the disc wont go up on shaft.

Have a problem with the brakes on the tm atm. Brake fluid been disappearing from the system for a while now. We've always kept topping it without getting to the root cause. I tried looking at the brake lines running around the outside of the tractor and found nothing. Fluid only seems to disappear when you have the tractor on for a while and there is no puddles oil around to suggest it's an external problem. Dad reckons either it's the seals or worst case scenario a hairline crack inside the housing. Ever since he told me I've been badgering him to get it fixed because one of these day, they will go on us and be in ditch for our troubles but he doesn't want to touch it as it requires opening up the backend which will take time and of course money to do as we have no idea about what goes where and such with splitting a tractor thus a mechanic would be needed for such a venture. Could there be other reasons to why it would be disappearing apart from us having to split the tractor to find the problem? Just don't want to jump to the conclusion that it's an internal problem is all.

Have a problem with the brakes on the tm atm. Brake fluid been disappearing from the system for a while now. We've always kept topping it without getting to the root cause. I tried looking at the brake lines running around the outside of the tractor and found nothing. Fluid only seems to disappear when you have the tractor on for a while and there is no puddles oil around to suggest it's an external problem. Dad reckons either it's the seals or worst case scenario a hairline crack inside the housing. Ever since he told me I've been badgering him to get it fixed because one of these day, they will go on us and be in ditch for our troubles but he doesn't want to touch it as it requires opening up the backend which will take time and of course money to do as we have no idea about what goes where and such with splitting a tractor thus a mechanic would be needed for such a venture. Could there be other reasons to why it would be disappearing apart from us having to split the tractor to find the problem? Just don't want to jump to the conclusion that it's an internal problem is all.
Would the lad he sold the combine to not buy it?

Back