Double lift Fertiliser Crane?

Doing a project for my final year in college and thinking of designing and manufacturing a fertiliser bag crane. Similar to the single bag lift cranes only the steel will be sized to withstand the weight of two bags and bigger Ram etc.

Just wondering is there such thing on the market cause I can't find anything and if there is I'll have to revert back to the drawing board!

Not going to be selling it if I do make it but would the likes be of any great addition?
what are the cons with these?

I've attached a picture from Google which is what I'm on about, only a two bag lift version, if I didn't explain great.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 64
Doing a project for my final year in college and thinking of designing and manufacturing a fertiliser bag crane. Similar to the single bag lift cranes only the steel will be sized to withstand the weight of two bags and bigger Ram etc.

Just wondering is there such thing on the market cause I can't find anything and if there is I'll have to revert back to the drawing board!

Not going to be selling it if I do make it but would the likes be of any great addition?
what are the cons with these?

I've attached a picture from Google which is what I'm on about, only a two bag lift version, if I didn't explain great.
Good idea. Ive never seen one anyway

Would it not be taking a fair tractor to hold the front axle down with two bags hanging out behind the spreader as you're lifting them especially if you have two in the spreader already??

Id say maybe a single bag lifter that can be operated from outside the cab. And with a pivot to allow you to move it to fetch a second bag? Lighter and as @slurryboy says the weight of two bags would be extream.

Would it not be taking a fair tractor to hold the front axle down with two bags hanging out behind the spreader as you're lifting them especially if you have two in the spreader already??

Well There could be weights already on the front axel if she's holding 2 tonne, but It's a fair point maybe hydraulic jacks fitted aswell could be an option. :Thumbp2:

I lifted two bags a couple of times with the crane.
A couple of things w
Ideally what you want is a lenght of box iron along the back of the crane where you normally attach a hook.
Some serious bracing of it back to thr frame of the jib.
Measure out the distance the bags are apart on the pallet.
Mines rated for over a tonne and I had rated shackles too.
I didn't feel in the slightest bit safe being within 10 feet of a tonne of fertiliser hanging in the air tho

Well There could be weights already on the front axel if she's holding 2 tonne, but It's a fair point maybe hydraulic jacks fitted aswell could be an option. :Thumbp2:
Thinking about it you wouldnt need hydraulic jacks, just little feet that make contact with the ground when the spreader is down. Might need similar for my idea as weight would be lifting to one side.

And for aded points. Safety wise have the controls between tge tractor and spreader and with a deadman handle so no chance of operators standing somewhere daft.

You better get top marks for this!

I lifted two bags a couple of times with the crane.
A couple of things w
Ideally what you want is a lenght of box iron along the back of the crane where you normally attach a hook.
Some serious bracing of it back to thr frame of the jib.
Measure out the distance the bags are apart on the pallet.
Mines rated for over a tonne and I had rated shackles too.
I didn't feel in the slightest bit safe being within 10 feet of a tonne of fertiliser hanging in the air tho
I was thinking the same myself about the box iron, would need to consider lifting one bag too when bracing as she could twist with 500kg on one side!

Id say maybe a single bag lifter that can be operated from outside the cab. And with a pivot to allow you to move it to fetch a second bag? Lighter and as @slurryboy says the weight of two bags would be extream.
That is a good innovative idea, the ability to power slew the mast would be an advantage getting the last bag into the spreader as one side may be full and it would avoid trying to swing the bag manually to get the last bit in without spilling

Reactions: AYF
Back