dyno test

have drove a few tms and t6000's hear and the tm's are in a different league used to drive a 155 that ran front and rear mowers and would hand a chipped 6080 its arse everyday of the week, dam good tractors alot better than modern tractors :thumbup:

have drove a few tms and t6000's hear and the tm's are in a different league used to drive a 155 that ran front and rear mowers and would hand a chipped 6080 its arse everyday of the week, dam good tractors alot better than modern tractors :thumbup:

same with any tractor pre emmisions

Dont the later TM models have hydraulic tappets as opposed too something different in earlier TMs?

There was a great thread on here awhile back about that powerstar engine and when to do the head in it etc....but cant find it

I think it's only very high hp or tuned tractors that drop valves,loads of 8340's about that haven't dropped valves at high hours.

Dont the later TM models have hydraulic tappets as opposed too something different in earlier TMs?

There was a great thread on here awhile back about that powerstar engine and when to do the head in it etc....but cant find it

120, 130, 140, & 155 TM's all have hydraulic tappets.

Tractors that drop valves are usually the ones that are over revved whilst going down hills etc.... Could be any make or model.

Tractors that drop valves are usually the ones that are over revved whilst going down hills etc.... Could be any make or model.

Btd,
I am a TM owner as well and have over 2k hours on it.

9K hours is the best time too get the head done is it?

Can anyone recommend a good independent tractor mechanic for NH in east galway:thumbup:
(apart from the NH dealer)

the maxxum wasnt exactly as it left the factory tho was it :whistle:
a lad next door swaped his 7840 turbo in for a nh 6070 and was very disappointed, it is now chipped to 200hp apparently and is a bit better than the 7840 was at 130hp? bloody EU emissions bolox :no:

We have a tm 150 here that dropped a valve at 5000 hrs. Mechanic said they were self adjucting tappets. I know the driver was revving it flat out on the road at the time.
Reading the posts here they are a good tractor if there able for 40/60 hp than they were rated at.
I had a Fiat 100/90 once. i fitted a turbo and tried to make it a bigger tractor.
Mistake. put 2nd assister ram on back of it too.
Just too small of a tractor. Broke link arms then. fuel tank small. Noisy as hell.
Changed it for a TM 150 and never looked back

Both neighbours 8360 and tm150 dropped valves,7840 blew up and 7610 had 4 engines:thumbdown:

I think they are a tad hard on their kit.:whistling:

Put one of my 155's on the MF187 baler last harvest. (due to 8670 being in bits) First time down the field, was completely on it's knees!... Out with the 13mm and screwdriver, and what a transformation! It was a different tractor, and pulled the baler equally as good as the 8670...

Our power chipped T6080 won't live with any of the TM's and isn't in the same league!
Did the same a couple of years ago with a mxm140 that we put on to the Hesston 4790 (MF 187 ) when the steering pump gasket went on the tweaked TM 155 that was pulling it,Case was two gears less than the 155 was painful did not seem to be getting on,magic spanner treatment at the end of the field totally transformed it,up two gears and sailing away nicely,now running it on a TM 190 plenty of power on tap with it and a fuel tank that can last a long day , not that the 155 or 140 was too bad on fuel but you have to get the power from somewhere & on a square baler power within reason does equal output

Plenty of fuelled 60 series and TMs went on to do well over 10k hours with no major issues. I think they were always seen as a poor mans John Deere but their reputation has went before them. Damn good tractor and value for money. What was the price of a TM155 in 2003 does anybody remember?

They were a great tractor to work,they had to have been,because every part on them gives trouble in one model or another ,yet lads are still very fond of them,including myself.
It's because of there performance when working and there ease to repair.

Plenty of fuelled 60 series and TMs went on to do well over 10k hours with no major issues. I think they were always seen as a poor mans John Deere but their reputation has went before them. Damn good tractor and value for money. What was the price of a TM155 in 2003 does anybody remember?

Have a 125 with over 11k hours, never been any trouble, although it needs a synchro replacing now once hedge cutting seasons finished.

Don't know price of 155, but I bought a new TM 140 RC in 2003, £31k IIRC.

Look at the price of this one at a dealer just down the road from me.. http://www.gmstephenson.co.uk/tractors/item/270-new-holland-tm140

Last edited:
Have a 125 with over 11k hours, never been any trouble, although it needs a synchro replacing now once hedge cutting seasons finished.

Don't know price of 155, but I bought a new TM 140 RC in 2003, £31k IIRC.

Look at the price of this one at a dealer just down the road from me.. http://www.gmstephenson.co.uk/tractors/item/270-new-holland-tm140
not any cheaper than you paid for a new one 7 years ago.:rolleyes:
Have you asked him how much to change your 125.

not any cheaper than you paid for a new one 7 years ago.:rolleyes:
Have you asked him how much to change your 125.

At that price I reckon it's just a bit too much for me, even with that low hour count.

The 125 has been permanently on the hedge cutter for the past three years, and averages 2k hours per year. We're just going to keep throwing spares at it as and when, unless it gets really unreliable. Although it covers quite a few hours it isn't working very hard, and to see it you wouldn't know it had done so many hours.

Just remove the rocker cover. Local dealer would do them every 1500 hrs iirc

i do the injectors too every 1500hrs, had diesel knock once before and split a piston on an 8160 Turbo DP. granted at 15 khours

loads of 8340's about that haven't dropped valves at high hours.

remember, the 40 series had the 6.6L engine, not the 7.5L powerstar

What was the price of a TM155 in 2003 does anybody remember?

€41000+ VAT seems to be in my head

Back