Economical printer

michael7740

Maybe there's no such thing as an economical printer, as most people seem to complain about the cost of ink, but can someone recommend a printer that is reasonably easy on ink? I don't need an all bells and whistles job. Just something for basic every day printing jobs. I currently have a Dell printer. The 2 ink cartridges cost over €80, which is bad enough, but they last no length :no:

Can you not get refills in your local office supplies shop?

Also it is far better to have separate ones for black and white rather than leaving colour in the whole time.

Have laser printers come down a lot in price that they are now household acceptable?

I'm going to try a local place that was recommended, that sells refills or cheap cartridges or something. But no matter what they cost, the speed that my printer seems to consume ink makes me think it's still going to be costly for the little printing I do :undecided:

I'm off now to google laser printers. I know nothing about them... :rolleyes:

I'm going to try a local place that was recommended, that sells refills or cheap cartridges or something. But no matter what they cost, the speed that my printer seems to consume ink makes me think it's still going to be costly for the little printing I do :undecided:

I'm off now to google laser printers. I know nothing about them... :rolleyes:

All I will say to you is the Canon we had at home was similar and was 50 Euro for a four cartridge, B&W was 20.

Now it was not today or yesterday but gives an idea :thumbup:

Leave ink aside for a second. how much paper are you using?

would you get through a ream a month?

[MENTION=1475]candor[/MENTION], been a while since I last looked but entry level lasers used not be much cheaper to run than a decent inkjet, but I havent looked at small printers in years.

I have a canon at home that's 6 or 7 years old and is on it's second set of cartidges it's used so rarely. At work we have big lasers.

As a general rule though michael the more you spend on a printer, the less they cost to run. hence the question about paper.

A quick google seems to be suggesting brother, who would traditionally have had a low price per page still do well in real world testing

[MENTION=1475]candor[/MENTION], been a while since I last looked but entry level lasers used not be much cheaper to run than a decent inkjet, but I havent looked at small printers in years.

I have a canon at home that's 6 or 7 years old and is on it's second set of cartidges it's used so rarely. At work we have big lasers.

As a general rule though michael the more you spend on a printer, the less they cost to run. hence the question about paper.

I picked up a secondhand hp black and white laser printer for free near the start of college, printed all my college notes and more, still going strong, and it's networkable too which is very handy.

That's the route I'd be going, and have an inkjet for colour if it's really needed or spend a bit on a colour laser secondhand.

Also try taping over the ink sensor do a search on it did it last time the vink as supposedly gone still had probably 25% left and get a printer with separate ink thinking of getting a b&w laser printer for work next and keeping the injet for when I need colour stuff

I use very little paper a month. I could count on one hand the number of pages I'd print in an average month. That's why the amount of expensive ink my printer seems to use for such a small amount of work concerns me.

I picked up a secondhand hp black and white laser printer for free near the start of college, printed all my college notes and more, still going strong, and it's networkable too which is very handy.

That's the route I'd be going, and have an inkjet for colour if it's really needed or spend a bit on a colour laser secondhand.

Any recommendations for a good b+w laser printer?

Xerox do a range of laser b/w printers from€165 plus vat
As JohnBoy said the cheaper the printer the dearer the running costs

Lad`s looking for opinion`s on a printer to print A3 size . Done a bit of a google and came up with these http://www.harveynorman.ie/computin...rother-multifunction-printer-dcp-j4120dw.html

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computin...brother-multifunction-printer-mfcj4420dw.html
http://www.huntoffice.ie/brother-mfc-j5320dw-a3-multifunction-printer-colour-inkjet.html
It won`t have a lot of use just need to print the odd bit at a3 size . Currently have a dell v305 printer which does the job fine just wont print a3 .

not a pile of help but i have a brother MFC-J825DW here for the last 4 years and its been flawless tbh, i dont know what they are like in A3 tbh but id buy another one of these 825's again anyways.

i happened to be chatting a lad about an A3 laser jet printer just last night, he is away off to find me one if he can, it would be a second hand one out of a company but there would be years left in it still.
he was saying the likes of the laser im looking for would be up on 2-4k for it new.

Back