Factory Prices General thread

I know a man who is starting a new enterprise in Dairy. He bought 60 caved dairy cows from a farmer in the golden vale last week for a sweet price. All perfect. It worked well for both sides.

What the solution is I don't know.
Simple. A food shortage, a famine, a fright.

Simple fact. Interview people on the streets of cities and towns. 50% won't know how beef, pork, lamb or chicken is produced. They don't care either, once its on the supermarket shelf.

People don't appreciate their food and they won't until they have to go without it for a period of time or have to pay big prices for it because it is scarce.

Cow numbers being killed are up about 1200/1500 per week if you look up government. Ie.

Lads are moving on a few emptys and problem cows a bit earlier than they usually would and maybe a few that might of been kept for another year.

In Ireland there will always be rumours and stories going around. Everybody likes a bit of bad news and most people add a bit to it when they tell it.

So if paddy farmer takes in a few cows behind the jeep. By the time its been through the local grapevine. He took in two doubles and tried to drowned himself in the river but there wasn't enough water

In the land I’m referring to it’s coastal sand and it is burnt red for the last 2 months. I’m not knocking the mans entrepreneurial ambition at all and definitely would have have no jealousy of these “progressive” farmers who are in my opinion just puppets tied to cows tails being scuttered to death.. good luck to them but rather see em than be em.

He’s just very unlucky this year the way things have worked out. No grass coming, not much silage left, on this scale of hardship it’s an isolated case enough. But these seriously intensively stocked indoor systems are rare enough too..

I’m not knocking the mans entrepreneurial ambition at all and definitely would have have no jealousy of these “progressive” farmers who are in my opinion just puppets tied to cows tails being scuttered to death.. good luck to them but rather see em than be em.
Lots of progressive farmers out there who have grown their business big time over the last few years who work hard but still manage a sensible work-life balance, taking time off, holidays etc. More power to them I say.

Same story here. Heard of 3 separate rumours of large dairy farmers culling large numbers due to lack of feed. Know for a fact that 2 of the 3 rumours are untrue and have my doubts about the third. Why do guys take pleasure in seeing progressive farmers fail??

I think that people who come out with those sort of rumours and negetive talk constantly are the ones who are the failures.

Well if ye are right lads and there’s not lots of Millkies after getting the heave ho and plenty following them then beef cows and prime cattle are going to get dear... but hats off to the “dynamic” progressive” maxed to the hilt lads with the eye on their neighbors acre... the banks and the ceos need them!

geez, going by some of the above post, some of you guys must live in very small minded communities. dont think any shite like the rumors happen around here, or maybe I never hear them. I couldn't careless what my neighbor and my farming certainly wouldn't impress anyone :laugh:. Allot of milking cows being offloaded atm, but this has to be the correct thing to do given the feed deficit. sending thin cows straight from the parlour to slaughter is bad business but sometimes farmers prefer to do there business quietly.

Back to prices - factories will have you believe they haven't time to answer all the phone calls but they are making plenty of calls themselves so the market is nicely balanced on "in demand carcases". If you don't need the money I wouldn't be in any rush selling. cattle are piling on weight and if we got moisture they would really soften. But hey, these are only all opinions, we all have to take them with a pinch of salt and take no notice if someone says - Johnny so and so, sold all his cattle as he is in the know. No one is in the know at farm level:no:

Interesting statistic this week is that it's more the increase in steer killed which is driving the trade rather than cows.

Given the 30 month limit is creeping up as well, probably not too unexpected.

If you believed everything on the rumour mill in any parish, every family would be broke or you'd be attending funerals and wakes every second day....

A friend of mine is a buyer for a large hotel group. She told me her meat supplier increased the price of the beef order by 10% last week .. when she questioned the increase she was told there was a scarcity of beef due to the drought !!
I hope you educated her. Profiteering like that while beef price is being cut damages our industry on the double. Inflated prices affect demand while with the other hand taking money out of the farmers pocket

Have brought in 3 loads from here in the last week well finished. Factory only killing 300 per day.
4 euro for heifers wouldn't make you up, they wouldn't want to drop below €1500 /head or the good would be gone out of it.
Last load going this week, doing well to hold out for last weeks rates. 30 month limit would see cattle dropping €50 overnight.
MF30

A friend of mine is a buyer for a large hotel group. She told me her meat supplier increased the price of the beef order by 10% last week .. when she questioned the increase she was told there was a scarcity of beef due to the drought !!
she most be fairly innocent, to the goings on in the market if she is a large end user meat buyer and not to tell them to sling their hook if trying to push a price increase over the last few weeks.

Maybe she's thinking the same thing of us farmers when I told her our price has dropped for the same reason .

That's one of our biggest problems as farmers, there's too many of us, its impossible to have any control on supply with the number of sellers, with all the information available to the buyers the odds are always stacked against us.

I'd be in no panic to sell beef.
No point selling cattle that aren't fit, fit cattle will, weigh and grade better and there's a better chance of getting a price for fit cattle.

Maybe she's thinking the same thing of us farmers when I told her our price has dropped for the same reason .
Do farmers that produce a nice few cattle not keep an eye on retail price locally and into our main export markets. I often surprises me how little market research people do. the attitude of - build it and they will come, is pretty outdated.

If they are nearing 30 months and fit fat scor 3+ then on they may go here. Price rises are so slow. The thick end of the wedge of prime cattle has passed for the short term all right so there will be a bounce.

That's one of our biggest problems as farmers, there's too many of us, its impossible to have any control on supply with the number of sellers, with all the information available to the buyers the odds are always stacked against us.
A few years ago when the knowledge transfer schemes were being set up there was a plan in place to incentivise the formation of beef producer groups. Once Meat Industry Ireland got wind of it they went ballistic and that was the end of that.

Mind you, I'm not so sure how well it would have worked, too many operators out there with no sense of loyalty, even if it is for their own good.

They hadn’t a chance.. but thank fully there’s no cartel anyway and the good old competition authority is scrutinizing the the workings of how pricing works and every factory pulls on the same minute!

Are producer groups legal in the eyes of the competition authorities?

They must be OK, sheep farmers are big believers in them and pig farmers too I think.

Did I read a statistic somewhere that around 25% of lambs are sold through a producer group? Could be wrong on that.

Lamb producer groups are around a long time alright.
Was there not a proposal to fund beef producer groups like kt and it was deemed illegal or some such stupidity?

The farmer in the locality culling 100 cows is no rumour. Horses mouth today. Not wanting to post specific details and location here but if anyone wants it I’ll pm them. As I said on this scale it is a isolated case.

Suckler cull cows were back a sight in ballinasloe today. Good quality CH and LM cows that were making up to €2 per kg 6 weeks ago were struggling to get to €1.20 per kg.

Back