Factory Prices General thread

Your U+ 3= should be paid at €4.05
your R=3- should be paid at €3.87

that is before a weight deduction if there is one. Factory will try to pay a flat price, welcome to the world of marketing red meat. they will try you on as they can see that you are only new to the finishing game. all depends on what crowd of hooks you dealt with. the bigger factories I find the straightest

U=3= came into 3.92 with qa.
R=3- came into 3.82 with qa

My u bullocks made 3.80 (no multiple of 6). They were all simmentals bar 1 limousin so not really breed specific bonus.

By denomination, I meant the grid rises or falls depending on spec in denominations of 6, so a 5 cent cut isn't a grid based deduction......so by the sound of you've had a fast one pulled...

1farmer1 expanded on what I meant earlier this morning. Something not right there.

Should be 18cents difference there.

Are you sure they were sold "on the grid"
I assume thats what the factory will try and say. But doubt you would find too many snowmen to sell U cattle at a flat price that is base price only. I would assume base price would imply sold on the grid

I think a chat with your agent will sort out the price, that's what the factory agent is for, cattle are normally sold on grid unless otherwise stated. ive had to have "chats" with my agent to get the proper price.

I think a chat with your agent will sort out the price, that's what the factory agent is for, cattle are normally sold on grid unless otherwise stated. ive had to have "chats" with my agent to get the proper price.
Turing had the enigma code solved handier than that grid is to decipher

Well I got it sorted after making a call to the purchasing manager. He had verbally given me the price and not recorded it and the payments office had paid me off the grid.
I have a few cull cows to go in the coming weeks and I will be reimbursed.

Well I got it sorted after making a call to the purchasing manager. He had verbally given me the price and not recorded it and the payments office had paid me off the grid.
I have a few cull cows to go in the coming weeks and I will be reimbursed.

Look mucky, I hope you get sorted but just a word of caution .
Over the years many times the prices promised by agents and factory procurement men fell short on what I got . And yes you chase them up and you get a promise that it will be sorted "the next time"
One of theese days I'll be rich, when all the IOU's come in :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

Look mucky, I hope you get sorted but just a word of caution .
Over the years many times the prices promised by agents and factory procurement men fell short on what I got . And yes you chase them up and you get a promise that it will be sorted "the next time"
One of theese days I'll be rich, when all the IOU's come in :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:
I couldnt like this post enough, and was going to write something similar. The excuse @muckymanor you were given was bullshite. They tried it on with you with the hope that you would take it. Get the price fixed on these cattle first before sending the next animals and I would be slow on going to somewhere who tried to pull a fast one on me.

I have had 3 bunches of cattle slaughtered in the last week priced "wrong". I didnt bother my hole delivering yesterdays animals or the animals to go this friday as being fair, is a two way street.

The whole thing is a bit farcical anyway. You have this whole complicated grid system put in place and then with one word you're being priced off the grid or flat price or whatever the purchaser dreams up on the day.
If the grid is fair and equitable as we're told there should be no need for any other pricing deals.

Why does @muckymanor have to wait for his money until he sells his next load, their mistake if they were really interested in your repeat business they would call to his house with the cheque. I'm still owed 30 euro from last backend for a heifer that was priced wrong everytime I mentioned it to the agent I'm told it will be on the next cheque.

Why does @muckymanor have to wait for his money until he sells his next load, their mistake if they were really interested in your repeat business they would call to his house with the cheque. I'm still owed 30 euro from last backend for a heifer that was priced wrong everytime I mentioned it to the agent I'm told it will be on the next cheque.

I don't have to wait. The cheque is there waiting for me. I'll be there either this Friday or next with some cows and I'll get it. They would post it to me if I wanted. I prefer to do these things face to face so that I'm more than just another name the next time around.

Last edited:
We have sent cattle at night and they were slaughtered first thing. Probably only 8 or 9 hours waiting. Don't see any problem.

there is no one to guarantee you that your cattle will be killed first thing in the morning ,some small operators will deliver cattle 2 and 3 at the time to factory and straight up the chute and they will tell you big comparison in kill out

Anyone got opinions on cattle in factory overnight waiting slaughter

No problem with it here either. Often load now on a Sunday evening, suits our haulier and us as there'd be two to load/seperate here with him.

I have a preference for cattle being killed as soon as possible from the time they leave our yard and I try to avoid collections the previous night. It’s not so much the lack of feed but the stress of mixing with other stock and the increased risk of injury. I know a few top finishers who insist on morning collections only.

I have a preference for cattle being killed as soon as possible from the time they leave our yard and I try to avoid collections the previous night. It’s not so much the lack of feed but the stress of mixing with other stock and the increased risk of injury. I know a few top finishers who insist on morning collections only.

I would insist that cattle are not mixed in the lairage as thats only asking for trouble, but this would be at anytime of delivery.

I have never seen any difference in kill out %

I would insist that cattle are not mixed in the lairage as thats only asking for trouble, but this would be at anytime of delivery.

I have never seen any difference in kill out %
That’s sensible enough. It’s weight loss I’d be more concerned about but like with a lot of factors affecting cattle performance, it’s difficult to quantity. But considering the investment getting cattle factory fit, I don’t like taking the risk.

Anyone see the independent today. Things look to be improveing marginally and Donegal factory has shaken things up a bit with a few different bits of bonuses for certain specs and paying the qa on all grades

Anyone see the independent today. Things look to be improveing marginally and Donegal factory has shaken things up a bit with a few different bits of bonuses for certain specs and paying the qa on all grades
no bite at all this week in the trade.

Back