Factory Prices General thread

You'd wonder what they think they are going to achieve with a headline like that, I will be interested in reading the details behind it tomorrow night.

I also wonder are the factories getting a lot of plain cattle which are not meeting QA criteria? And more so for the traditional breeds. Have a lot of the AAs gone here now mostly good square lads and it's almost like there is a reluctance when another breed is in the bunch.

Another aspect overplayed by the media perhaps.

Price in Australia is way above that as far as I know. Must have a look to make sure. Edit just checked, Australian beef is making 3.68ish at the moment. Those lads in the journal are nuts

Anyone see the front page headline for tomorrow's paper. (no deal brexit beef price 2.50 kg) :scared::scared:

@Mid cork
Was quoted €2.50/kg a few posts back for a stock bull.
It’s easy make headlines.

The only “certainty is uncertainty” is the catchphrase.
Looking at the current situation Irish beef, price, current supply, future supply and brexit.
Here’s what I think is fairly certain, beef is being sold earlier this spring by some farmers, some for reasons of saving forage, others the fear of a price collapse, if there’s a no deal brexit on March 29th.

Supplies tighten and prices rise for the late spring, early summer cattle, every year.
This year supplies will be tighter again imo as a result of what’s happening now.
How much will the price rise I’m not sure, 50c from the low point? there’ll be a few sold here before brexit, I expect prices will rise in the next 5 weeks, the remainder will be going from April onwards.

Will there be a no deal brexit, I’m going to stick my neck out and say no, it’s in nobody’s interest to let that happen, at worst, if there is no deal by the deadline, there will be a further extension, avoiding tariffs, if there’s no tariffs, it’s business as usual, politics is the art of the impossible.

im trading away as normal but with a poor beef price, selling and buying away, dont think there is much point in changing my system just yet. Have bought and sold plenty of cattle over the last 10yrs when beef price is level with todays. Some lads would swear beef is currently making €3 base, with the talk out of them. current price is far from ideal, but maybe the next turn of cattle might leave a few quid.

I'd agree with ithastopay but most if not all of the cattle here will be gone before any potential Brexit end date. If they are fit, they are fit and off they go with the way prices are at the moment. Like Ozzy, this is our system and although a month earlier than normal I'm not changing for a knee jerk reaction.

I also think factories are hedging their bets at the moment with the price and the price gap between UK and Irish beef at the moment will insulate against a chunk of any potential tariffs.

This headline was simply scaremongering at it's best. I have noticed the meeting where Teagasc said most dairy calves should be given away got very very little coverage, a few paragraphs......

I got a few cattle killed this morning. I had a couple more along with them that I would have liked to have killed along with them but there was no go on them despite numerous calls to my factory agent. My cousin is in the same boat trying to kill plain cattle so we decided to get to change into our best clothes and call to the factory this afternoon and meet the manager and become more than just a name on the system.
The meeting didn't go as planned infact the least said about it the better. I was in need of a stiff drink after the ordeal and the cousin suggested that we might as well make a night out of the outing and get ourselves a nice dinner and stay overnight at a hotel. Anyway we got on the road and arrived at the hotel. After asking the woman in reception about the price of the room and for the dinner menu we discover that the hotel has been turned into accommodation for asylum seekers and beef finishers are no longer welcome.:speechless:

I got a few cattle killed this morning. I had a couple more along with them that I would have liked to have killed along with them but there was no go on them despite numerous calls to my factory agent. My cousin is in the same boat trying to kill plain cattle so we decided to get to change into our best clothes and call to the factory this afternoon and meet the manager and become more than just a name on the system.
The meeting didn't go as planned infact the least said about it the better. I was in need of a stiff drink after the ordeal and the cousin suggested that we might as well make a night out of the outing and get ourselves a nice dinner and stay overnight at a hotel. Anyway we got on the road and arrived at the hotel. After asking the woman in reception about the price of the room and for the dinner menu we discover that the hotel has been turned into accommodation for asylum seekers and beef finishers are no longer welcome.:speechless:
the asylum seekers were beef finishers in their own country i,ll bet :yes:

your about 10 years to late for the hazel hotel peter!:lol:

Any talk of a factory price increase on the way, or might they actually reduce prices before the weather improves ?

Heard nothing here on that. I think we'll see little or no change until brexit is done and dusted good or bad.

There is so much uncertainty with Brexit at the minute that I think you are right.

On the supply side, the reluctance to take bulls at the moment is going to drag on for some time as well, could easily be early March before numbers of them start to dwindle.

There is so much uncertainty with Brexit at the minute that I think you are right.

On the supply side, the reluctance to take bulls at the moment is going to drag on for some time as well, could easily be early March before numbers of them start to dwindle.
Is there any point keeping freisein bulls in the future?

I was in athleague this evening at 7pm, passing the factory and there was a queue of lorries and jeeps and trailers waiting to unload. Never seen it so busy at night.

I was in athleague this evening at 7pm, passing the factory and there was a queue of lorries and jeeps and trailers waiting to unload. Never seen it so busy at night.

How many were in each though?

Bulls are going in dribs and drabs I'm told.

Back