Factory Prices General thread

That's madness. Can we not just vaccinate the the very same as people? It would end the gravy train.

I don't think any cattle have been vaccinated in Ireland against it. Not sure about the UK?? @headcase, @Win.

Pretty sure they vaccinated badgers alright but that got a lot of negative publicity.

I don't think any cattle have been vaccinated in Ireland against it. Not sure about the UK?? @headcase, @Win.

Pretty sure they vaccinated badgers alright but that got a lot of negative publicity.
Culling badgers gets a lot of negative publicity aswell. But it's fine culling our cattle. I have heard a bovine vaccine isn't very effective not sure how true this is.

Nothing vaccinated here in uk

Don't you have pre movement testing anyway?
We do:tdown:
I got annual testing at the mo as I'm clear
But if I wanted to sell any stores in mart or farm to farm they would need pmt

They were on about post movement testing well:curse:

Culling badgers gets a lot of negative publicity aswell. But it's fine culling our cattle. I have heard a bovine vaccine isn't very effective not sure how true this is.
The vaccine is effective,very effective in fact
The problem lies in the fact the test can't differentiate between vaccinated cattle and tb cattle

The vaccine is effective,very effective in fact
The problem lies in the fact the test can't differentiate between vaccinated cattle and tb cattle
I knew there was some issue with vaccination, but there needs to be some other approach to TB control after 80+ years of doing the same test. We have annual tests over here no need for a pmt once you annual test is up to date.

I knew there was some issue with vaccination, but there needs to be some other approach to TB control after 80+ years of doing the same test. We have annual tests over here no need for a pmt once you annual test is up to date.
If I sell live within 60 days of the test then that's ok but 61 days they need a PMT

I hadn't realised the statistics were so bad for Angus and Herefords.
yhtbvdc.png

This table was on Agriland earlier.

yhtbvdc.png

Eh not surprised at all. Had a Hereford bull last year and the calves had the flattest arses i've ever seen.
Seriously though I'd say the majority of the bad ones had Jersey x mothers.

yhtbvdc.png

Eh not surprised at all. Had a Hereford bull last year and the calves had the flattest arses i've ever seen.
Seriously though I'd say the majority of the bad ones had Jersey x mothers.

Whatever about Jersey cross mothers , the criteria that is used by a lot of the rapidly expanding dairy farmers when choosing a Hereford bull ,
A white head , so that people will buy the calves , from a somewhat rose tinted view of what Hereford calves were once upon a time , before Holstein and Jersey mothers put paid to any sort of decent square calf ,
The ability for the cow to pop the calf out unassisted , which causes bulls to be picked for their narrowness , rather than squareness.

Much the same applies to Aberdeen Angus bull selection.
The calves are a byproduct , necessary so that the cow will lactate , and will be sold as soon as is possible.

Not going to disagree with either of you lads, of course both are seen as ideal for heifers so are generally small too.

If you take the Anguses for example, based on the research done so far it's clear that some of the most popular bulls are the worst for carcass weights and confirmation.

I've lost count how many JEX / NRX with AA I've seen in the past two years, even a few here :blushing:

I'd honestly say R= is the very best you would get of any FR cross with HE based on our experience here.

If you could see the same graph with anything with Jersey genetics removed, angus would be way better. Its because angus and hereford are the most popular sire to crossbred cows

This sounds much more realistic to me rather than the sensational headlines of a month ago.
https://www.agriland.ie/farming-new...cifically-from-factory-controlled-operations/

How can the impact of this be measured? There's no way to tell if an operation is factory controlled. It may be just a case that a factory has a deal done with a large finisher to pay extra per kg for animals above the going rate in order to guarantee supply. There is no way of knowing what deals go on behind closed doors for factories to control prices (or not as the case may be).

These types of articles are just speculation at best!

How can the impact of this be measured? There's no way to tell if an operation is factory controlled. It may be just a case that a factory has a deal done with a large finisher to pay extra per kg for animals above the going rate in order to guarantee supply. There is no way of knowing what deals go on behind closed doors for factories to control prices (or not as the case may be).

These types of articles are just speculation at best!

But the problem is these articles have been taken as Gospel truth by a number of people and a number of organisations.

These type of issues are a distraction at the moment IMV and far better things to be looking at with Brexit imminent.

Heard factory prices are going to be back next week
Had a Bord Bia inspection yesterday and I asked the man doing it how the general mood was amongst the finishers he was inspecting . Bad was his reply and a number have stopped feeding cattle and more to follow he said.

Don't know. A lad just told me they were being pulled back.
Bulls still hard enough to move.

I heard that the local factory was thinking of pulling the price last week but didn't go ahead with it after. The journal has it that there going up in price so who knows.

Meanwhile the beef price group are playing brave heart videos on the app.

I heard that the local factory was thinking of pulling the price last week but didn't go ahead with it after. The journal has it that there going up in price so who knows.

Meanwhile the beef price group are playing brave heart videos on the app.
U bulls were pulled 5c last week to 3.65. They pulled the bulls last week, and probably pull everything else this coming week.
Sure, why not?
They can do whatever they like.

Does the lad you were talking to have some inside information or was he just another gobshite talking down the trade? The factories are struggling to source good in-spec cattle at the moment and anyone naive enough to be talking prices is just playing into
Does the lad you were talking to have some inside information or was he just another gobshite talking down the trade? The factories are struggling to source good in-spec cattle at the moment and anyone naive enough to be talking prices is just playing into their hands.
Bollox. They pulled them already.
I know because I got the cheque.
A lad working in it said they'll be down again this week.

Bollox. They pulled them already.
I know because I got the cheque.
A lad working in it said they'll be down again this week.
You’re a soft seller so unable to negotiate a price. You took the factories bait, hook line and sinker. You won’t last long.

Back