Factory Prices General thread

I love the phrase "people in the know" in the cattle business. So they are in the know about the market in 9 to 12 months time. These people must make a fortune. Also the "they feed allot of cattle" so must know is another great line

As I said, I'm only people watching. Do I do exactly what these people are doing or do I do the opposite. . . .well . . . that's the question. I don't think they are in the know about the market for 12 months time. I think they have a good idea of what the market will be like for the next 10 to 12 weeks however, and that's why they aren't paying big money for cows. We are all gambling on cattle prices for 9 to 12 months time, but looking at the China market, the drop in cattle supplies in Australia, the increased demand for south american and USA cattle for china, then you would be inclined to spread your bet a little over the next 12 months if you had an inclining that the short game of buying cows, intensively feeding them for 60 to 90 days and then slaughtering, was not going to be strong in 90 days time as it traditionally is at that time of year.

no sign of any price rise from Kildare chilling or kepak. Agents say they are full up til new year. Beefplan did a great job alright - neighbour has 80 bullocks going over 30 months and he up to his b$$$$ks with feed bills.

There will be a rise before the new year, then a further rise, then a fall back and a rise again by the end of 2020. I will guarantee you

there will surely be 5c this side of the new year. I will eat my hat if there isnt. take a 5c rise week on week between now and the 1st of april (14 weeks excl 2)..... (which wont happen), only brings heifer price to 4.20. thats only approaching break even. I dont understand where the optimism for long term feeding is coming from.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=GBP&view=1Y
Sterling has hardened a lot since the strike, this is leaving a lot more money in exporters pockets. I am not a big follower of beef markets, but from a casual observer of markets in general, it seems a very nice time to be meat exporter to the UK, depressed prices and over supply here and an increasing return because of currencies.

Some of our British colleagues may be able to confirm, but I believe base price across the water is around 3.30 sterling, so there is a clear gap atm.

Screenshot_20191205_115928_com.android.chrome.jpg
No incentive to increase price due to the amount of cattle available now. I often wonder if the protest hadn't happened would the market have sorted itself, no disrespect to those involved just thinking out loud here.

Oversupply certainly isn't helping our case. I believe that there are (about) 50% more cows in the country compared to 1984 levels, which would translate into 50% more calves etc. I have the numbers somewhere mind you but I'm not sure where.

Attachments

• 848591-1c0165a304c62e24ca5a21e53669ebcd.png
    848591-1c0165a304c62e24ca5a21e53669ebcd.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 10
Someone working in a local factory has stated they could be killing alot more cattle but factorys want to keep things backed up to make money from low cattle prices. If thats not 2 fingers to the farmer/suppliers, i don't know what is. Staff shortages is bs, he thinks

Someone working in a local factory has stated they could be killing alot more cattle but factorys want to keep things backed up to make money from low cattle prices. If thats not 2 fingers to the farmer/suppliers, i don't know what is. Staff shortages is bs, he thinks
37000 cattle killed last week, that close on maximum for the sector

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=GBP&view=1Y
Sterling has hardened a lot since the strike, this is leaving a lot more money in exporters pockets. I am not a big follower of beef markets, but from a casual observer of markets in general, it seems a very nice time to be meat exporter to the UK, depressed prices and over supply here and an increasing return because of currencies.
without a shadow of a doubt, talking a 10% value of a carcase shift over a the highest point. we are been taught a lesson. I cant see someone like a beef farmer ever been allowed benefits to Peaks of the market ever again (business will insolate us from such). but well will take all the troughs.

37000 cattle killed last week, that close on maximum for the sector

40214 is what the dept have published as last week's kill. Over 200 more than the same week last year. But overall the kill is still down over 60,000 on last year's figures. I'd imagine that 60k is made up of much of the backlog from the protests.

40214 is what the dept have published as last week's kill. Over 200 more than the same week last year. But overall the kill is still down over 60,000 on last year's figures. I'd imagine that 60k is made up of much of the backlog from the protests.
there definitely was a few 18k weeks during the protest and i even think a few 12k weeks at the end of the protest. sure i dont think most factories killed anything the week after the protest

I only done a quick tot of each sub grade and this would also exclude the Co Co slaughter houses. First time in along time we killed over 40k animals in a week

Back