Factory Prices General thread

On prime uk spec steer and heifers there is a gross margin of 100%. Excluding 5th quarter.
35€ is hilarious. Ffs.
Ser 100% is nothing.
Farmers get calves fir free or pay max 200 for them and get anywhere from 1000 up for them.
That's as relevant as saying factories get 100%profit on carcass. They have costs too.
A friend if mine was able to do the figures from I think kildare chilling or some independent factory.
Total profit after costs divided by throughput was around 35/head but would still be a substantial total figure.
The retailers are the ones creaming it for little work or time in my view.
Irish retailers only sell 10% of our product so blockading them is no addition either

One thing I don't think I have heard in the beef price debate is the cost of getting the product to market. Is it realistic to expect the UK or EU customer pay the same price for Irish beef as local beef and then add the transport cost to the Irish product?

One thing I don't think I have heard in the beef price debate is the cost of getting the product to market. Is it realistic to expect the UK or EU customer pay the same price for Irish beef as local beef and then add the transport cost to the Irish product?

Cost of getting to market would be small, 1% of the value of the finished product would ship most of it to end users. It's getting it shipped could be the problem with Brexit, not the cost

Shipping costs little.years ago it was 7 or 8 pence/lbs to ship from south America to England never mind across Europe.
I think it's to be expected that we be 10 or 20c behind Europe considering we have to displace local products.
Some foreign farmers including British reckon.we are flooding them with cheap beef and lowering prices

Ser 100% is nothing.
Farmers get calves fir free or pay max 200 for them and get anywhere from 1000 up for them.
That's as relevant as saying factories get 100%profit on carcass. They have costs too.
A friend if mine was able to do the figures from I think kildare chilling or some independent factory.
Total profit after costs divided by throughput was around 35/head but would still be a substantial total figure.
The retailers are the ones creaming it for little work or time in my view.
Irish retailers only sell 10% of our product so blockading them is no addition either
That €35 figure came from a ridiculously lazy farmers journal article when beef plan was really gaining traction in the spring. 10% of our beef is consumed here. 50% in the Uk. So excluding 5 th quarter ( which is etimated to be covering processor operations and wages on its own). 100% gross profit on beef leaves 35€ Nett. . What was going on after the horse eat scandal when beef was bringing over€5 aka for uk supermarket spec stock. Uk retail price has actually increased since that Beef plan were a mile of with the 2 euro for 10€ of retail beef but when that was doing the rounds on social media a local small supermarket owner commented that it was wrong. He withdrew his comment when he was asked to embellish us with the details!

Shipping costs little.years ago it was 7 or 8 pence/lbs to ship from south America to England never mind across Europe.
I think it's to be expected that we be 10 or 20c behind Europe considering we have to displace local products.
Some foreign farmers including British reckon.we are flooding them with cheap beef and lowering prices
We are. Because of our lack of resistance to the cartel we are dragging them into the gutter with us.

3.55 for heifers this week:clap: and listen into the national radio station on Friday to see if there is a price rise :rolleyes2:

3.00/kg for r grade cows. Only 3.10 for u-, u= and u+ cows. I was disappointed with that but they came in to fair good money for the times that we are in. Advantage of a pedigree cow is that she will leave you something when culled. Bit of feeding pays.

@Ozzy Scott did you get cattle off this week. Agent collected for a friend of mine this afternoon to bring to Roscrea tonight. 3.60 for heifers and 3.50 for bulls is what he was quoted. Agent told my friend that there's great demand for in-spec cattle for this week and next - there's zero waiting time.

3.00/kg for r grade cows. Only 3.10 for u-, u= and u+ cows. I was disappointed with that but they came in to fair good money for the times that we are in. Advantage of a pedigree cow is that she will leave you something when culled. Bit of feeding pays.

@Ozzy Scott did you get cattle off this week. Agent collected for a friend of mine this afternoon to bring to Roscrea tonight. 3.60 for heifers and 3.50 for bulls is what he was quoted. Agent told my friend that there's great demand for in-spec cattle for this week and next - there's zero waiting time.

Getting a handful of cattle killed over next few days, but they are only the cattle that should have went last week.

Had a load cancelled for later in the week. Game is becoming a joke. arrange haulier, factory decides to change slaughter day, cancellations. Not been able to sell cattle is always my biggest fear, price is secondary. Knacker man is the only reliable man I'm dealing with to take animals. Rang at 9 today, took animals at 10:cool1::scratchhead:

Getting a handful of cattle killed over next few days, but they are only the cattle that should have went last week.

Had a load cancelled for later in the week. Game is becoming a joke. arrange haulier, factory decides to change slaughter day, cancellations. Not been able to sell cattle is always my biggest fear, price is secondary. Knacker man is the only reliable man I'm dealing with to take animals. Rang at 9 today, took animals at 10:cool1::scratchhead:
3ix9hc.jpg

@Mf240 there is very little that is unbelievable I'm my piece. What parts do you think are unbelievable?

Anyway as I always say, take everything you read on an online forum, with a serious pinch of salt.

Last edited:
Maybe so.

If your being constantly messed around then change to a different factory.

Anyhow larry is allowing everyone rise the price a few cent. The ifa are after changing from lidl and aldi to the more expensive Tescos now that they can afford it:laugh::laugh:

Maybe so.

If your being constantly messed around then change to a different factory.

Anyhow larry is allowing everyone rise the price a few cent. The ifa are after changing from lidl and aldi to the more expensive Tescos now that they can afford it:laugh::laugh:

Will it be Supervalu tomorrow?

Maybe so.

If your being constantly messed around then change to a different factory

Its happening across all factories, if they blocked you last week they are "looking after you" this week, and Visa versa if you slaughter in a number of factories. I deal with 3. They all know they will be screaming for cattle in a few weeks and trying to drag things out as long as possible. Without the backlog, there would have been a right trade for cattle going back to 1st of Nov

Has anyone got a quote off the grid for heavy out of spec cattle? Seems to be a 10 cent move over the past week
only a 5c move since the famous announcement, 3.50 bullocks/3.55 heifers. We are paying dear for farmer actions. Only from the second half of last week has things freeied up to get cattle sold. 10c back on base price should buy QA, over 36m animals but still a hard sell. non QA not wanted

meanwhile factories buying cattle going through marts, will need €4 to clear their noses. funny how protesting farmers are happy to sell to such buyers

only a 5c move since the famous announcement, 3.50 bullocks/3.55 heifers. We are paying dear for farmer actions. Only from the second half of last week has things freeied up to get cattle sold. 10c back on base price should buy QA, over 36m animals but still a hard sell. non QA not wanted

meanwhile factories buying cattle going through marts, will need €4 to clear their noses. funny how protesting farmers are happy to sell to such buyers
Jesus man your like a broken record, the protest happened. Maybe you should be concerned about what's going on in your own yard before blaming all your woes on the farmers who believed they were standing for each other. Were you doing this much moaning about the shitty price you were getting before any protest happened. Did you have a moan at the factory for only rising the price 5c, did you have a moan about tesco basically telling farmers to fuck off and mind their own business this week?

Jesus man your like a broken record, the protest happened. Maybe you should be concerned about what's going on in your own yard before blaming all your woes on the farmers who believed they were standing for each other. Were you doing this much moaning about the shitty price you were getting before any protest happened. Did you have a moan at the factory for only rising the price 5c, did you have a moan about tesco basically telling farmers to fuck off and mind their own business this week?
Ah he was in fairness :lol:

5c base rise for next week according to our agent. It has a long way to go yet before I'll be slaughtering anything.

5c base rise for next week according to our agent. It has a long way to go yet before I'll be slaughtering anything.
I said it about a month ago, it would take 14 continuous weeks of 5c price rises to get to 4.20. Any cattle coming fit, get rid of them.

looks like the glut is finally gone down here. China job has slowed up though for a few weeks, thankfully traditional markets have absorbed product. premium striploins are been wholesaled at €10 a kilo this week :scared:

So crystal ball time. predictions for heifer base price on the 1st of each month below

April - €3.90
August - €3.85
Decemeber - €3.75

So crystal ball time. predictions for heifer base price on the 1st of each month below

April - €3.90
August - €3.85
Decemeber - €3.75
In terms of crystal ball predictions, do people think will Boris Johnson open the UK beef market to cheaper imports from USA and South America (in the context of trade deals etc...) post Brexit ??

In terms of crystal ball predictions, do people think will Boris Johnson open the UK beef market to cheaper imports from USA and South America (in the context of trade deals etc...) post Brexit ??
I think it is more likely that the Germans will flush the Beef industry down the toilet in order to sell more Volkswagens .
The UK will endeavor to keep some sort of relationship with the EU as long as food prices stay low.

Back